Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 12)
Author Topic: Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought McKellen was a good Gandalf. I hope he doesn't balk at The Hobbit now that PJ's out of the way. Gandalf really gets to have fun in TH which I think would actually suit McKellen's portrayal of Gandalf even better than PJs pessimist.

The fold out DVD boxes that look like books when on a shelf were cool, too. Those were high quality products.

Edit: Crap! I just pushed this thread to another page. []

[ 01-13-2007, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Buahahahaha@Dread Pirate Roberts ( [] )

Fear not the movie-haters, Bane. Your opinion will set you free. Take all they say with good humor, and pity them that they can't let themselves enjoy Peter Jackson's masterpiece, for whatever reason. We are definitely happier than they []

Yes, the Rohirrim showing up is one of the best scenes in the trilogy. I get tears in my eyes when they arrive. Fantastic work.

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always wonder, though, why it's always Eomer leading that charge instead of Erkenbrand.

Also, why this bothers people so much less than things like Arwen or Legolas taking Glorfindel's place at the Flight to the Ford.

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lyra, I'd answer the question about the flight to the ford if this weren't the movie-phile thread. I'd be happy to discuss it in another thread but you know it is bound to get hijacked by 'someone' and turn into an insult-fest.

Anyway, just to let you all know, in order to get an informal head count of purists versus non-purists, I posted a poll in the Pony. Simple question: Do you consider yourself a Tolkien purist? Yes or No.

I'm guessing at something close to a 50-50 ratio but I might be surprised.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaneofDarkness
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5808
posted      Profile for BaneofDarkness   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How do you quote? Anyway Luthien, I know I'm probably going to get flamed eventually, by saying PJ did a nice job at some parts, but I do have the Kevlar vest ready. I was,however disappointed when Halbarad never showed up, and why did Aragorn recieve Anduril that late? But while PJ made some bad choices, he made some good ones too.
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
Almost everyone thinks he did a nice job at some parts. I have a broken clock that nicely reads the time at 9:40 every morning and evening.

quote:
why did Aragorn recieve Anduril that late?
Because certain feminists thought that Arwen couldn't be seen sitting at home weaving some prissy flag, in order to lead the Army of the Dead; rather she, like Éowyn, had a "thing" for pushing swords in Aragorn's face (and the "love-triangle" thing between them suddenly makes a whole lot of sense now... as well as Freud's theories).

quote:
I always wonder, though, why it's always Eomer leading that charge instead of Erkenbrand.

Also, why this bothers people so much less than things like Arwen or Legolas taking Glorfindel's place at the Flight to the Ford.

Because it's slightly more plausible-- and not an outright travesty/banal political statement.

[ 01-14-2007, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How To Quote:

<quote>Hello, my name is Quotie and I am a quote</quote>

With [] instead of <>.

Wiki, take it to the anti-movie thread, please []

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miranthridel Bloom
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3050

posted      Profile for Miranthridel Bloom   Author's Homepage   Email Miranthridel Bloom   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Huggles Ney [] *
*Huggles her EE DVDs too, so as to remain on topic [] *

[ 01-23-2007, 11:57 PM: Message edited by: Miranthridel Bloom ]

From: HMAS Fire & Ice, Miranistan | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I was just answering a question, as to why purists didn't so much mind Éomer leading the rescue at Helm's Deep. I wasn't saying anything negative about the films.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LyraLuthien Tinuviel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5173

posted      Profile for LyraLuthien Tinuviel   Author's Homepage   Email LyraLuthien Tinuviel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WiKi, see DPR's response to my question, above.
I did ask the same question in the other threads, so it wasn't necessary to answer it here.
I think 'broken clock,' 'outright travesty' and 'banal political statement' may be the phrases that Neytari was asking you to take to the purist thread.

And BoD, most people call me Lyra, rather than Luthien. There are several Luthiens here, but only a couple other Lyras. []

[ 01-27-2007, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: LyraLuthien Tinuviel ]

From: GreyHavens via Puget Sound | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One thing which I did notice was in the much discussed change at Helm's deep where in the movies the Elves turned up and in the books they obviously did not. Now their leader Haldir dies in that scene doesn't he? at least in the ee, I'm not sure if he does in the theatrical version, it's so long since I saw it. Now no Elf as I am aware dies in the book. So at the time, I actually thought that surely that idea was a little nod to the Silmarillion and to all the Elves that had died in that book. I didn't think that was a bad idea to add a little sadness to that scene.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Hear hear, it added more emotional connection to the story. It made things more perilous.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Yeah right-- "Why didn't he just surf a shield to safety? [] "

[ 02-01-2007, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Even though I didn't have that much of a problem with Haldir's death (no additional problems on top of Elves being there that is), I don't really see how it added any kind of connection to the story. In fact, I would argue that it did exactly the opposite, since it shows a further divergence between the book and the movie.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
It was an indulgence of the message of "opening up goodwill" between Men and Elves, when the entire story was about the rise of Men and the departure of Elves. So the scene was a antithetical tear-jerker... like the rest of the movie outside the bad jokes.
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Movies based on books do not become bad simply because they do not follow the books they are based on to the T.

Take it to the hate thread.

[ 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Suggestion! []
1) Never post in the Purist Rage thread (which I don't think you do much)
2) Report WiKi's posts in this thread as inappropriate
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Or . . . []

3) Ignore WiKi altogether. Forever.

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Great idea if you could get everyone to do it. But there's always someone prepared to throw a few scraps to the troll, and that's all he needs to sustain him. []

Which is a shame, as it's so funny watching him get angrier and angrier as people ignore him. Bit of a theme on this board. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know - but I'm going to continue to push that idea anyway. It's possible that people will start to comply just to shut me up.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

The "are we there yet" school of thought. []
Anoren Anarinwa
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2435

posted      Profile for Anoren Anarinwa   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean to tell me that if I ask enough, we will automatically be at our destination??

[]

[]

Enlightenment!!

Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

Wiki doesn't really bother me and ignoring him is boring []
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Athene, you're the troll; don't ask questions if you can't bear the answers.
quote:
Movies based on books do not become bad simply because they do not follow the books they are based on to the T.

How many times do we have to tell you that it's not following them to a T we're looking for, it's them having a CLUE where the core of the story lies... and a little respect and dignity not found soap-opera sob-scenes... and certainly not "dwarfecation" humor.
Prince Imrahil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5425
posted      Profile for Prince Imrahil   Email Prince Imrahil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Athene, you're the troll
Uncalled for and not even close to necessary. If you can't check your tone, take it somewhere else...or maybe Athene has a valid point.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
And last and proudest, Imrahil, Prince of Dol Amroth, kinsman of the lord, with gilded banners bearing his token of the Ship and the Silver Swan, and a company of knights in full harness riding grey horses...tall as lords, grey-eyed, dark-haired, singing as they came.

-Minas Tirith

From: Dor-En-Ernil, Belfalas (by way of VA) | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Movie-phile Ecstasy - Why the Films Surpassed all our Hopes (Page 12)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help