Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Purist Rage - How the Films Betrayed Tolkien's Legacy (Page 53)
Author Topic: Purist Rage - How the Films Betrayed Tolkien's Legacy
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, it's up at Youtube, and it works!

Login name: SimonPurist

Password: ecthelion

Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No3bDeaqfi8

Note: you MUST log in with that name and password, or it won't work.

[ 12-03-2012, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
(bump)
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this my last chance to RAGE on the PJackolope version of the classic Lord of the Rings before I start on the goblins' version of The Hobbit. *sigh* *deep breath*

Grimace moments:
Dialog so vile I actually cringed, rolled my eyes, audibly groaned, or muttered "oh my god".

“Toss me.” – Clown Gimli
“Let’s hunt some Orc.” – Pseudo Aragorn
“Go home, Sam.” – Fake Frodo
“There goes Denethor.” – Gandalf the Off-White
“Groan.” (after bumping his head) – Gandalf the Greysighted

[ 12-08-2012, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: Aiwrendel ]

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
quote:
“Toss me.” – Clown Gimli
You mean the 8th Dwarf.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm re-reading the trilogy again and I was nearly brought to tears when reminded of the difference between movie Theoden and real Theoden. Pj's guy is a nerveless indecisive puddle of goo, nothing at all like the brave, kind, leader of men JRRT gave us. This ranks way, way up there on the list of PJ's worst character hack jobs.
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Even book Theoden put Eomer in jail.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That was Theoden when he was under the influence of Saruman/Wormtongue.

Once he was liberated by Gandalf, Tolkien's Theoden returned to form; noble, loyal, a man others want to follow. PJ's guy was weak, indecisive, had to be convinced to aid Gondor, just a complete wuss.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... which reminded me of the whole Sarumann possessed Theoden scene in the movie... []
In multiple book readings, I always had the words of Wormtongue, likely enhanced by his service to Sarumann, as the source of the ill council that Theoden received. Treating him as old and feeble, and controlling the information and access others had to him, Wormtongue had Theoden feeling quite old and decrepit. Gandalf broke this hold on Theoden, and by doing so, set him free to see things as they were. The whole PJ deal of wizards fighting for Theoden's mind was really lame.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just started watching my TT:EE Appendices and I have come to a startling revelation.

I have the instinctual desire to punch Philippa Boyens in the face.

Just as Treebeard and Pippen could smell Wormtongue for the liar he was, there is an air about Philippa that sets my spider-senses tingling. She comes off as smug and completely lacking humility and when she tells me why she changed portions of the story in her condescending tone, I long to push her face in.

I know that bit which you speak. She has this 'we did it our way and improved the story, so ha-ha, take that you Tolkien book-tale lovers' attitude. Face pushed into the mud of the Midgewater would do nicely. [] [] [] [] []

[ 07-18-2015, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These movies don't get better with time, either. They get worse.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
These movies don't get better with time, either. They get worse.
This is true. Recently my wife and I challenged each other to stay awake while we watch through the whole EE DVD series. We managed it, but over a period of a month. We blew the dust off the DVD boxes and fired up the DVD player when there was absolutely nothing better on free-to air, and we watched them one disc at a time. We celebrated making it through each half of the movie. We would comment credit where they got the scenery and casting close to right, and commented disdain on the PJ overblown parts. The best disc was the 1st one, and they progressively got worse. We considered selling or giving away our DVDs afterward, but for this whole project bringing my wife and I together. We likely would have never met had it not for movies being made of Lord of the Rings, so we owe at least that much to them, and we will keep them to again gather dust until the next moment of insanity hits us and we attempt to watch them again.
Roll of Honor Thangail
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1292

posted      Profile for Thangail   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
These films still annoy me.
From: Capital City | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LotR Reboot by Peter Jackson?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nooooo! Jackson, just go AWAY, you evil jerk!
quote:
because there’s a lot of material in the appendices. And who doesn’t love appendices?
Someone should take out your appendix...through your mouth.
From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nooooo! Jackson, just go AWAY, you evil jerk!
“No! I have not yet begun to defile JRR Tolkien!
‘sides there’s a bag more dough to be made here!”

-Peter (The Despoiler) Jackson

---------------------

Here's looking at you PJ . . . []

(I hate (and have never before used) the above emoticon but an exception is severely needed here.)
-Flam

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Here's looking at you PJ . . . []

(I hate (and have never before used) the above emoticon but an exception is severely needed here.)
-Flam

Worthy of the exception too. You know, you culd hold a match up to that emoticon and have it fart, and it would make a good Flammifer [] []
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
LOL []
Ah, shades of long ago when this fool almost set his @$$ afire! []

We wonders if teens of today enjoy such intimate glee, or are they too busy looking at smut on the net? []

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcuin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5185
posted      Profile for Alcuin   Author's Homepage   Email Alcuin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
My father worked death claims at an insurance company for a while many decades ago. He tells me he once paid a claim to the family of a man who lit his flatulence. It burned inside him, and the man died in agony several days later. Bottom line (so to speak): It’s a bad idea.
From: formerly New England (sigh) | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faithfull
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11417

posted      Profile for faithfull   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bottom line (so to speak): It’s a bad idea.
Kyrie eleison. []
From: East of the sun, West of the moon | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

It burned inside him? Sounds like a tall tale meant only for entertainment purposes. psst There no oxygen in there. []

I love the way this thread is now focusing on @ss holes. Seems fitting since the thread is about PJ.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the old days of not liking the Lotr movies. I wonder if people still feel that way. Not in 2015 seemingly!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

There were movies? Oh... you mean the PJ fanfix! []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well, true enough, though nowadays many people seem to say that the Lotr movies were great, but not the Hobbit ones so much
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Compared to The Hobbit Three, the LotR three were "great", but when I see the LotR movies now, they actually appear worse than I thought back then.
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

-Bob Frapples

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Purist Rage - How the Films Betrayed Tolkien's Legacy (Page 53)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help