Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be? (Page 3)
Author Topic: If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be?
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's hard to believe this stuff is for real sometimes.

I assume you mean "it's hard to believe this stuff is live action (vs. cartoon); you'd expect this from animation. (Which likewise suffered a loss of quality; compare early Disney to the later Don Bluth garbage and other fare.

I think we may have just uncovered the reason: movies have been made for so long, and so often, that no one takes the medium seriously anymore as artistic, vs. simply bizarre; the bar's been lowered so much, that it's simply become a contest to come up with the next record-setting absurdity-- not something new or original.

And PJ did just that-- in spades; so he won the award for the most over-the-top monstrosity-- the P.T. Barnum of filmdom. (And he did make a circus out of it-- complete with clowns, acrobats, dwarf-clowns, elephants, midgets, bareback riders and fire-- lots and lots of fire!)

Now, live-action film has just become "the new cartoon;" it's what naturally happens when a rising star becomes a cash-cow. This is why the latest Star Wars trilogy looked so retro in comparison; Lucas was re-living "the era" before movies were a joke.

[ 04-28-2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nolo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 634
posted      Profile for Nolo   Email Nolo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
haven't been here for a while...

i would play aragorn absolutely

From: orizaba ver mexico | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would play Alatar the Blue.

I know his part in the story is very, very, very small (microscopic even), but I would enlarge the role so that I would take my rightful place as lead character, and...

...piss off all the LOTR purists. []

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt very much you could top PJ.
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So, mainly to piss off purists? You might want to find a less pointless or more original hobby to waste energy on. []

Actually, if the role were written and played well, in the spirit of the book and remaining in the high brow range, why not then? It might make a really cool addition to a Tolkien myth cycle. I could see it! [] If you want to play a contemporary / common culture version of Alatar or Pallando (sp?) a la PJ, well, you might find mass appeal with the Hercules/ Xena set, but don't expect any of the Tolkienists (or any mature critic for that matter) to do much but laugh at you. [] [] []

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

posted      Profile for Alatar the Wizard   Author's Homepage   Email Alatar the Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I doubt very much you could top PJ.
Are you kidding? That would be frightfully easy. I would have George Lucas produce and direct...

Imagine Gollum played by... Jar-Jar Binks! Oh, the humanity!

quote:
So, mainly to piss off purists? You might want to find a less pointless or more original hobby to waste energy on.
Pointless? Perhaps, but oh, so satisfying! Especially after spending even a short time here.

But maybe your tongue-in-cheek detector isn't working right now. Obviously, I was kidding.

My serious answer is that I would want to play Boromir.

[ 05-03-2006, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Alatar the East-helper ]

From: South Forodwaith | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

Alatar is the man!

Question: What do Tolkien purists and Germans have in common.

Answer: They both have no sense of humor.

BA-DA-BING!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
There's nothing "humorous" about seeing something defiled that you revere.

And please... spare us the nonsense that "it wasn't defiled;" just because you have no intelligence to insult, doesn't mean we don't. We hold Arda as something more than simply some escapist fantasy-world through which to disassosciate from reality.

When I told some teen-age kids about Arda who had only seen the movies-- and playing the video-game-- they were spellbound by the complexity of it, and couldn't believe how great the real story was.

But as with any mythos, some only see "Hercules in New York."

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The book wasn't defiled; it was glorified.

It was the first fantasy movie in years that was made for adults, and not children. Finally, a fantasy movie that could be taken seriously, and compete with other compelling, reality based movies. Finally, we had something to be proud of.

Of course those teens were impressed with your description of Arda. Who wouldn't be? Hopefully they'll pick up the books and read them.

But the movies were almost as impressive.

I, and millions upon millions, just loved the hell out of the movies.

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But maybe your tongue-in-cheek detector isn't working right now. Obviously, I was kidding.
I guess you missed the [] [] s. Someone's detector isn't working. [] []

Note the [] , in case its overlooked again.

[ 05-03-2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Although you were using smileys, Archie, Alatar could see right through the facade, and he could tell you were faking. []
Roll of Honor Deraj the Plaid
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1351

posted      Profile for Deraj the Plaid   Email Deraj the Plaid   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I look kinda goofy. I'd guess I'd have to be a hobbit.

I don't have much of a tortured look so I wouldn't make a good Frodo. I'm not Jolly enough to be any of the others. So I guess I'd have to be a cranky Sackville-Baggins.

[]

From: Del-Mar-Va | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

quote:
Although you were using smileys, Archie, Alatar could see right through the facade, and he could tell you were faking.
What? lol, I was anything but serious! Where're you coming from, man? []

Well, that's okay, I can understand. It's been suggested you are exactly like WK in the opposite, just as petty and petulant, and just as obssessed with every little pointless bit of vindication you can squeeze in against someone who holds the opposite view of the films that you do. After seeing the above remark, I have to admit I'm convinced! []

As for me and the topic of this thread, I'd want to play Legolas. Ya, I'm a chick, so it probably couldn't logically happen, but he was such a cool and enigmatic character: so subtle and hard to pinpoint--at times serene and peaceful, at other times, mysterious and silent, and sort of wild and dangerous, at other times, playful, and still at others, soft-spoken and quiet. Legolas is the character I think most underrated, yet most msyterious and interesting as I see it, and I would really like to see someone who understands these qualities about him bring him to life in a film.

[ 05-07-2006, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh perleasssssse! Get a life you muppet [] It was a bloody novel, not an Earth changing discovery that aided the furtherment of mankind! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aermîr Goldenflower
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3845

posted      Profile for Aermîr Goldenflower   Author's Homepage   Email Aermîr Goldenflower   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want to be 1. Legolas or 2. Eowyn.

Legolas because I love Elves and also because he's an awesome warrior.
Eowyn because, though she's a little whiny at times, all she wants to to go out and fight the evil.

From: Moving from Point A to Point B. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

The Witch-King of Angmar wrote:

Hallelujah! Praise Illúvatar! Yes, you've got it! You can understand this after all!

And, you see, I revere PJ's LOTR movies just as much as I revere the novels.

Now you know how I feel when you defile PJ and his movies with your endless stream of sarcastic, meanspirited posts.

[ 05-07-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Alatar the East-helper ]

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bingo. Alatar said it.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
And, you see, I revere PJ's LOTR movies just as much as I revere the novels.

Which is only possible, if you revere neither.

quote:
It's been suggested you are exactly like WK in the opposite, just as petty and petulant, and just as obssessed with every little pointless bit of vindication you can squeeze in against someone who holds the opposite view of the films that you do. After seeing the above remark, I have to admit I'm convinced!
Actually I've specified the opposite; if someone takes me out of context, that's their problem.

quote:

As for me and the topic of this thread, I'd want to play Legolas. Ya, I'm a chick, so it probably couldn't logically happen,

a-HEM:

-

Didn't stop SOME people! []

[ 05-08-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Which is only possible, if you revere neither.
That statement looks an awful lot like you telling us what exists inside our heads.

[ 05-08-2006, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd want to play Sam. No question.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Do you even KNOW how a country-servant Englishman acts, talks etc? I've heard some good voice-translations by the BBC or other British actors, but too many would have us believe that accents and mannerisms don't matter.

quote:
That statement looks an awful lot like you telling us what exists inside our heads.

No, I'm talking about what exists outside of them; it's called the TRUTH. You can have it in your head, that the Pope is a devout Buddhist; that doesn't make it true.

Just like thinking that the movies revered the books; that's a mistake, since they were crafted in pure ir-reverence of them.
To say otherwise, would be a mistake.

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
No, I'm talking about what exists outside of them; it's called the TRUTH. You can have it in your head, that the Pope is a devout Buddhist; that doesn't make it true.

All the man said it that he revered the movies just as much as he revered the books. That's his feelings, not yours. You cannot tell anybody else how they can feel about anything. Otherwise you're just going to fall deeper into the lunatic hole you've dug for yourself.

quote:
Just like thinking that the movies revered the books; that's a mistake, since they were crafted in pure ir-reverence of them.
To say otherwise, would be a mistake.

Again, he said nothing about the movies revering the books. All he said was that he revered the movies as much as the books. And as far as you saying the movies were crafted in irreverence of the books - I say you're wrong.

I say you're a mistake. []

[ 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Snow Wizard ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
For the record, I won't sink to your level-- just report it.
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to be Legolas of course.

Wiki,
Some of us don't have enough strength to jump over your tacks in the literary forums AND deflect your fire in here. Luckily we understand where suffocating a flame comes in handy. [] []

[ 05-10-2006, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alatar the Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5315

Thank you, Snow Wizard, for your intellectual precision. It is to be expected from a fellow wizard. []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be? (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help