Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be? (Page 2)
Author Topic: If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be?
Arda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1019

posted      Profile for Arda   Author's Homepage   Email Arda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Aragorn (he's both the King and a nomad) or Èowyn 'cause I'm a woman, but... in fact, I'd like to play my own rol in the History, as a new carachter, with my own face, soul and force...
From: Madrid - SPAIN | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hidalgo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1083
posted      Profile for Hidalgo   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather be Imrahil, prince of Dol Amroth, but I'd be satisfied being any Gondor soldier.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am unworthy to remain a citizen of MT, so pay no heed to my words.

In Deo Spes Mea.

From: Madrid - Spain | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Galadriel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 412
posted      Profile for Lady Galadriel   Email Lady Galadriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to play Saruman. He's such a delicious villan (sp?)
From: Belgrade, Yugoslavia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1113
posted      Profile for Sil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmm...let me see.

If I was a woman I would play Galadriel.

**Sigh**

Ahem!!! *clears throat*

Male part, I would be Sam.

From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
posted      Profile for LadyEowynKenobi   Email LadyEowynKenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
for the guy role, i'd like to play Aragorn. and Frodo. yeah, i think Frodo would be cool.

for the gal role, hmmm... most likely Eowyn since that little test i took matched my personality closest to her.

my username is actually a mistake. i couldn't think of anything, so i typed in LadyArwen as a test, hoping it would get rejected. it wasn't.

oops.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: LadyArwen ]

Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lady Arwen; if you enter your profile by clicking the tag of that name in the top right, you can change your publicly displayed name to something else.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyEowynKenobi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 994
posted      Profile for LadyEowynKenobi   Email LadyEowynKenobi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hey thanks Laurenendorian!

i'm happy now

Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elberas
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1092
posted      Profile for Elberas   Author's Homepage   Email Elberas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As several people have replied, I would play one of the more evil characters as they are more multi-dimensional.

I would probably want to play one of the nine Nazgúl! The Witch-King of Angmar sounds good.

After all, without an antagonist there would be not much conflict in the story or much of a plot.

From: West Palm Beach, Florida | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malgilwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1121

posted      Profile for Malgilwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WitchKing

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
*kills above poster for no reason*

From: New Jersey!!!!!!!!!!!! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1041
posted      Profile for Star   Email Star   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think Eowyn would look right if I played her, so I think I would rather be a hobbit. Then I wouldn't have to lose any weight or buff up either. Oh, to be a star!
From: Sammamish, WA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to play Halbarad, or even Dúnedain Ranger #26. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gimli or Boromir, and return some of the dignity of those characters.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Gimli or Boromir, and return some of the dignity of those characters.
Gimli I could understand, but Boromir? I think he got away the most unscathed from his original character.

I'd like to play all the characters-- which is pretty much what a good director has to do. (Emphasis on good director).

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arien the Maia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4219

posted      Profile for Arien the Maia   Author's Homepage   Email Arien the Maia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd like to play all the characters-- which is pretty much what a good director has to do. (Emphasis on good director).
That's what Napoleon would do if he was a director. []

To answer the question ... Denethor and/ or Theoden. I love them both too much []

From: The daily planet | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone should be compared to Napoleon, it's PJ! I can't think of a greater case of "Napoleonic Syndrome--" i.e. short, fat, and doesn't know which battles he should stay out of!
Contrary to his belief, he's no hobbit.

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think he got away the most unscathed from his original character.
Movie Boromir was portrayed as unnecessarily hostile and paranoid from the beginning. And that snivling, snot-filled, "Frodo?" after he's tempted by the Ring was too much. He wasn't the (overly) proud son of Gondor he should have been.

I believe the most "unscathed" was Saruman, which was probably due to the fact that Christopher Lee seemed to be the only cast member who really knew the book.

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Are you serious? Saruman was never that obvious in his manner; he was always first and foremost a con-artist and politician (despite the redundancy there).

Bill Clinton could have played him perfectly-- always mincing his words, hedging his bets, being careful never to tell outright lies vs. half-truths etc.

Of course when you live in a country whose president is your next-door neighbor like New Zealand, I guess political rhetoric is kinda foreign.

As for Boromir, however, I never said he was unscathed-- just the MOST unscathed; in this movie, that's saying a lot. His original sneering about "Gondor needs no king," was hostile, true-- but it was only included so he could say "my king!" dramatically, in his final death-scene.

I guess PJ was trying (poorly) to get across the facts which Faramir stated in the book, i.e. that Boromir wanted Denethor and himself to be king of Gondor, and that "If he were satisfied of Aragorn's claim as you say, he would greatly reverence him. But the pinch has not yet come. They had not yet reached Minas Tirith or become rivals in her wars."

However again, Boromir wasn't obvious about it-- but when you're a hamfisted producer talking down to an audience at a first-grade level (who don't know what "haste" and "diversion" mean), then subtlety kinda goes out the window.

[ 04-27-2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Silmahtar
quote:
Movie Boromir was portrayed as unnecessarily hostile and paranoid from the beginning.
Yes, and he really differed from book Boromir in that bB seemed to have some degree of respect and reverence for Aragorn, though it was often intermingled with doubt. Movie Boromir seems to have little but contempt for Aragorn, very unlike his book version. He's a much flatter and more obvious character, and I don't think he got away from PJ without his own share of damage.

[ 04-27-2006, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

Wiki:
quote:
Are you serious? Saruman was never that obvious in his manner; he was always first and foremost a con-artist and politician (despite the redundancy there).
I said MOST unscathed, not unscathed.
quote:
As for Boromir, however, I never said he was unscathed-- just the MOST unscathed
Neither did I. Read my post more carefully next time.
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Yes, and he really differed from book Boromir in that bB seemed to have some degree of respect and reverence for Aragorn, though it was often intermingled with doubt. Movie Boromir seems to have little but contempt for Aragorn, very unlike his book version. He's a much flatter and more obvious character, and I don't think he got away from PJ without his own share of damage.

Likewise, there's a serious error-- when bBoromir talked to Frodo about the Ring, he first recognized Aragorn's rightful claim to it. Then, he asked Frodo to simply lend him the Ring; he doesn't just take it.

(So much for the "lordly, but kindly mannner" of Boromir and Faramir.)

However again, this was another ham-handed approach to making Boromir more evil, so that he could under go a "startling epiphany and realize the error of his ways," and accept Aragorn as the rightful king at last.

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
Neither did I. Read my post more carefully next time.
I did; I was disagreeing with you. I think Saruman is hardly "unscathed" from his original character-- far less unscathed than Boromir.

Book-Saruman and Book-Boromir both believed in rule by power; however Saruman was a ruthless liar, but who could seem wise; meanwhile Book-Boromir was honest and forthright.

In the movie, Saruman could hardly be more obvious as a ruthless liar and mad villain; I don't think he came out "unscathed from his original character" at all-- a far cry from the way Frodo describes him in the end:

quote:
He was great once, of a noble kind that we should not dare to raise our hands against.
Finally, consider the way each one dies-- i.e. dying valiantly in battle with a final valiant "farewell" speech and funeral-boat scene, vs. falling 500 feet onto a spiky wheel (characteristic of PJ's fetish for people falling off cliffs).
A rather "scathing" comparison, wouldn't you say?

-

[ 04-28-2006, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

posted      Profile for Archer   Email Archer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Finally, the way he dies-- i.e. falling 500 feet onto a spiky wheel-- is characteristic of PJ's fetish for people falling off cliffs.
How many cliff-hangers and/or cliff plummets in these movies, anyone counted? Probably enough to give the cheesiest cliff-hanger fest of fests, Vertical Limit, some pretty intense competition. []

edit: Oh yes, Wyle E. Coyote too--better comparison actually. []

Dang, cliff hangers were old fifty years ago--hence the teminology created for just that notion. Didn't anyone bother to give Mr. Jackson the news?

[ 04-28-2006, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
Hardly; as I've mentioned before, the entire trilogy was a poopouri-fest of repetitive cliché-scenes from some movie or other. Braveheart (heroic pre-battle pep-talk), Platoon Road Warrior (air-rescuing a comatose hero to safety) etc, The Matrix (trick-photography wizard-battle); you name it, it had been done before-- and usually better.

You'd think PJ's never seen a movie before-- much like many of the film-philes on this board. (Either that, or he's a shameless thief and plagiarist who thinks he's "original" when he leeches off a cartoon).

Meanwhile my most frequent comment was "SEEN IT!"

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
quote:
How many cliff-hangers and/or cliff plummets in these movies, anyone counted? Probably enough to give the cheesiest cliff-hanger fest of fests, Vertical Limit, some pretty intense competition.
Do you mean "Terminal Velocity?"

That one was classic: the scene where the femme-hero pulls the lever and drops Wesley Snipes out the trapdoor in the floor of the plane, was 100% pure Elmer Fudd!

[ 04-28-2006, 04:42 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

Archer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3857

No, I mean the very forgettable Vertical Limit, where every ten minutes, I mean every, someone was dangling for his life and another was reaching out with the very creative and unique, heart-stopping line, "Give me your hand, I won't let you fall!"

It's hard to believe this stuff is for real sometimes.

[ 04-28-2006, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: Archer ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » If you could play any character male or female in LOTR film what would it be? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help