profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Worried
Author Topic: Worried
Lomion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 60
posted      Profile for Lomion   Email Lomion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone worried that the Lord of the Rings Movies will ruin your own particular view of Middle Earth and how you picture the charaters??
From: Gondolin | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galdor of the Tree
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 260
posted      Profile for Galdor of the Tree   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nope I have my view of Middle Earth and no movie will change that. I am a little scared that thoughts of people who haven't read the books would be corrupted even if they do go on to read the books.
From: New Haven, CT | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orome
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 108
posted      Profile for Orome   Author's Homepage   Email Orome   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i agree with mog
i dont like how liberally pj is playing wit the lotr script cuz other ppl's views will be formed before they even read it.
i have already seen ppl on some threads of this forum basing some of there opinions off of it.
ala the who would you fall in love with thread

anyway...

------------------
Orome
And Justice For All!!!
(all those who deserve it anyway)

From: Somewhere east of the brandywine | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
posted      Profile for Andrew the Grey   Email Andrew the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, ever hear the saying as Im sure we all have "The book is ALWAYS better than the movie!" Well at least for me, thats because I read a book and get images in my own mind that are sometime not even remotly close to PJ's vision, but when you go from a book to a movie you just have to deal with that, the author relies on description in the book alone and his own gifted vision (if any), I think we'll all have to wait it out and hope for the best, so my answer is yes Im worried, but what can a person do? It's all on the directors shoulders...

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Archer of the Eye--
"Many are the strange chances of the world, and helps oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter." -Mithrandir-

From: Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Now that you mention it, Andrew, I've been hoping to talk about 'books always being better than movies'.

I recently read 'Misery' by Stephen King, because I loved the movie and because I had read "The Green Mile" before seeing the film and it was so powerful it made the movie seem like a mediocre high school drama based on a much more powerful true story. (I'm not into reading any of King's horrors, but his character-based books are so vivid, they don't seem at all like fiction. Utterly beautiful.)

Anyhow, the book 'Misery' is vastly, vastly better than the movie. Yet for me, seeing the movie did not detract at all from reading the book. In fact, the things the movie left out became total (and very amazing and satisfying) surprises. So... all the unwashed masses out there who may turn to reading LoTR for the first time after watching the movies will be alright. Especially if they read the whole thing after seeing only the first film! I almost envy that.

------------------
Eldameldor! A laita, laita te!

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing about "Misery" by Stephen King. It contains a nice reference to LoTR!

If you are familiar with the story, novelist Paul Sheldon is being held in a house by psycho Annie Wilkes, and he's keeping her from killing him by writing a new novel just for her, day by day, about Misery Chastain. On page 239, Sheldon is thinking of this power that stories have over people who can't wait to hear how things turn out in the end. Here's the quote:

"Paul suddenly remembered other examples of this odd mania: the way people had mobbed the Baltimore docks each month when the packet bearing the new installment of Mr. Dickens' Little Dorrit or Oliver Twist was due (some had drowned, but this did not discourage the others); ... the young mountain climber hospitalized with a supposedly fatal case of hypothermia whose friends had read The Lord of the Rings to him nonstop, around the clock, until he came out of his coma; hundreds of such incidents."

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

------------------
Eldameldor! A laita, laita te!

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WonderBroad
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 242
posted      Profile for WonderBroad   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No, there's no real chance of the movie ruining my visual ideas of Middle-earth, especially since I have been illustrating Tolkien (for my own amusement, and for various fanzines and literary journals) for 26 years. But I'll give the movie a whirl. What the heck--why not? Already I know that Viggo is not =my= idea of Aragorn, but he still looks like a reasonable person's idea of an Aragorn. I would have preferred (in this order) Daniel Day-Lewis or Sean Bean. So at least one of my choices is in the movies, if not in the part I had hoped. Sean is such a good actor--can't wait to see his death scene as Boromir. I'll probably cry.

Does Liv Tyler come close to my idea of Arwen? No way--not even in the same ballpark (or the same universe!) But that's what we have, and there's no getting around it. If Catherine Deneuve were 15-20 years younger, she'd be my ideal Galadriel. But Cate has real possibilities, and Orlando Bloom looks wonderful as Legolas, as does John Rhys-Davies as Gimli. I don't care for the "look" of Elrond at all, but that's not really Hugo Weaving's fault. It's those wierd stringy sideburn thingees that bug me. They don't look good on Celeborn, either, IMO.

I'm delighted at how much I'm warming up to Elijah Wood as Frodo (maybe it is because it's eerie how he resembles at times the Frodo of my own drawings). The guys playing Merry and Pippin, if they had switched roles, would be close to my ideas of those characters. Sean Astin is not at all how I see Sam, but I'm willing to wait for his performance to "sell" me.

Viggo, too, will sell or not sell the role with his performance, if not by his looks. Gandalf, except for a beard that's about a foot or more too short, and a nose that isn't sharp enough, looks pretty darn good to me, otherwise.

I could go on but...maybe I'll do that later!

Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
posted      Profile for Andrew the Grey   Email Andrew the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Arg!...the Goonies is my favorite movie EVER...and I'm so glad they cast Sean Astin as Sam, but Im waiting to see what his acting does for the movie...I have high expectations to say the least, and I hate when I have expectations, but we'll see how it goes...

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Archer of the Eye--
"Many are the strange chances of the world, and helps oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter." -Mithrandir-

From: Wisconsin, U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turin Turambar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 297
posted      Profile for Turin Turambar   Email Turin Turambar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Goonies was a good movie(as all my friends say also)but anyways, the part im worried about most is its ok if u dont read lord of the rings before u c the movie(it may make the movie better)but the part im worried about is the fact the ppl who havent read the hobbit wont understand the big deal over Bilbo and dismiss him as a stupid pointless character and wonder y he was even in the movie
but my biggest disappointment is the less of Tom Bombadil NNNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
o well

Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Moving thread to "Current Film Production".

Have a nice day.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
I agree totally, how are they going to get the Hobbits through the Old Forest? Through sheer luck? Tom wasn't a major charecter in the books but he is pretty important, he gets the Hobbits their weapons, saves them TWICE and some other things, I don't understand how PJ can just leave him out...thats about the biggest problem I have with the movie

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Archer of the Eye--

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
how are they going to get the Hobbits through the Old Forest?
Think! The Old Forest won't be in the movie, neither the Barrow Downs!

This message has been edited by Earendilyon on 04-06-2001 at

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lomion
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 60
posted      Profile for Lomion   Email Lomion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wonder Broad i agrre i dont like the look of elrond either they kind of over did it with the makeup.
From: Gondolin | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vens Arna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 377

posted      Profile for Vens Arna   Author's Homepage   Email Vens Arna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In the immortal words of Alfred E. Newman: What?! Me Worry?!

Nah, no matter how they butcher the movie (if at all) it would never ruin the images of ME or any of the characters for me. They are too deeply engrained for that

------------------
Frodo Lives!

From: Oklahoma City, OK, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew the Grey
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 426
Well now Im a little Irked!!! Thats a whole 30- pages in the book about, right? Jeez..not liking this...

------------------
--- Andrew ---
--Archer of the Eye--

Tinelwen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 261

posted      Profile for Tinelwen   Email Tinelwen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not worried so much about the movie changing my view of ME, I'm more worried that it won't live up to my expectations. Things will stay more or less how I imagine them now unless something better in the movie comes along. It's more likely I'll be disappointed because the movie is not as good as I imagined the book.

------------------
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds; our planet is the mental institution of the universe." -Goethe

From: neither here nor there | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the movies won't live up to one's expectations. They will pro'bly give more 'body' so to speak to one picture of ME. At least, if we get beautifull vistas of plains, mountains, battles etc. Having seen the movie one can better visualise the settings of the stories.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I will quote exactly what I said on one of the other threads:

"Though I can't be sure until I see the movie I don't feel the movie images will replace my own, unless they're absolutely amazing. I just figure that the movie's not gonna capture the feeling of the book the way my imagination has... And don't even try to tell me that no one here has looked at artwork based on Tolkien and said "Wow, that's exactly how I pictured it." and then used that picture as reference from that point forward. To me, when it comes to influencing my outlook on the book, seeing the movie will be no different than looking at a good piece of artwork by the Hildebrant brothers or another great artist. 'Cause that's just what the movie is, a moving Painting..."

As far as I'm concerned that sums it up.

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
12+ years on from the premiere of Return of the King....
quote:
Is anyone worried that the Lord of the Rings Movies will ruin your own particular view of Middle Earth and how you picture the charaters??
No, it hasn't. I managed to take what little good there was in the movies (some scenes and settings, and in two cases, characters) and allowed it to add to my own mind's eye depictions I've had for a couple decades before PJ Boyens & co. got their hands on the tale.

Agreeing with what Galdor of the Tree said, it is something that will likely be rare to find ones who was too young to read when these movies came out to have read the books before seeing the movies. Most will not have the experience of forming their own visions of the scenes and characters without having the movie scenes and characters already there waiting for them as they read. And that is only for those who even do read the books after seeing the movie. Many won't even bother to read the books at all. []

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm delighted at how much I'm warming up to Elijah Wood as Frodo (maybe it is because it's eerie how he resembles at times the Frodo of my own drawings).
A skinny, blue-eyed Frodo?

The films couldn't take away the images I got from reading Tolkien especially since many in the films were so wrong. I got the distinct impression that Sam, Frodo, Merry, and Pippin all had brown eyes and hair. That may have come from Tolkien's descriptions of HobIbits in general especially that blond hair was very rare among Hobbits. With few exceptions he never really mentions eye color. I think he mentions Boromir's, Numenorians, and maybe Legolas. Any others?

I did like the look of the Ents but either the images I got from the books were "wrong" or the films didn't do them justice. I imagined them more stumpy with larger boles and less bendible. And I still do.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » New Line Cinema's Lord of the Rings » Worried
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help