Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Rangers of Ithilien unit designations
Author Topic: Rangers of Ithilien unit designations
stormraven13
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11414
posted      Profile for stormraven13   Email stormraven13   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Hello all. New here to the city and am grateful to be here. I am part of a Middle Earth re-enactment group called the Rangers of the White Tree. We currently number eight Rangers and have working kits and accouterments to use while trekking or camping in the field. We do exercises and seminars to better train us to utilize the skills of these Rangers of Gondor. I am currently researching any known unit designations for these Ranger companies. Many units use either numerals or symbols of some sort to designate their particular company. I don't think that Tolkien himself actually elaborated on this but I thought something might have been produced later, perhaps as part of a gaming system, etc. Any help that anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Our group is growing rapidly and we envision the time when we will have to use such designations and would like to stay as close to the informal canon as possible. I look forward to hearing any responses on this subject. Thank you.
Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose one could make up unit designations since it isn't anything specifically stated by Tolkien himself. I've done it a bit in my RP stories to add to the differences between say the Palace Guard and the soldiers who fought in Osgiliath. The Rangers of Ithilien would be sort of an elite group skilled in fighting behind the lines, so would have a higher bond and Esprit de corps.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Rangers of Ithilien unit designations
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help