Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries (Page 2)
Author Topic: NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It *is* fun ! [] [] If I don't get enough people playing, I'll postpone the deadline, so don't worry about it []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But that might mean I have to work instead of leafing through LotR! [] (The joy of working from home...)
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*Is in, now needs something else to do instead of work* []

E: Apologies for the double-post.

[ 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

YAY 4 entrants ! [] I'm still waiting for pi's answers though []
I was thinking that people like Brae or Varna could enjoy playing...

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would, if I didn't have two different deadlines coming up, one on Monday and the other on Tuesday []

Perhaps I'll have more time after that? []

I guess the idea of this is to find obscure answers - if you find two answers to a question and should choose one of them, choose the one that the other MTers aren't likely to find or to choose ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
oh ok. look in your inbox, Inkypoo.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I have postponed the deadline to June 5th 11pm GMT. []
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
How specific is "race" meant to be for Question 7? Are we talking interspecies (Men/Elves) or can different races of Men be included as well?
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I meant interspecies. [] There's enough possible answers as it is []

For new playes - or next time : don't hesitate to ask questions (here of via PM) before answering. I may not answer, but that could prevent you from making some mistakes []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is also the question of how one defines love!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Only a couple of days left ! If some people would like to play but don't think that they'll have time before the 5th, let me know []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Results to be posted soon.
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

1 1 1 1 0 3 1 1 Art 6
1 2 1 3 1 3 1 2 Olo 36
1 2 1 3 2 3 1 1 DQ 36
0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 Hamfast 64
1 1 1 3 2 4 0 2 pi 96

0) Name a region of Númenor.

1 Mittalmar
1 Nisimaldar
1 Forostar
1 Orrostar
Wrong answer :
1 Romenna

Pretty straightforward for the first question. But Hamfast still managed to give a wrong answer, Romenna being a city and not a region. I didn't know about Nisimaldar, but it is correct. Other possible answers were Hyarnustar, Andustar.

1) Name a day (no year) where a member of the Fellowship of the Ring got hurt in The Lord of the Rings.

2 March 25th
1 March 15th
1 March 4th
1 January 25th

All correct answers here, although almost all answers were in March. March 25th could be either Frodo's finger getting cut or Pippin passing out under a Troll, on March 15th Merry and Eowyn get hurt fighting the Witch-King, on March 4th Gimli gets hurt at the head at Helm's Deep, on Jan 25th Gandalf dies. Other answers included Oct. 6th (Frodo gets hurt by the knife) and Feb. 26th (Death of Boromir).

2) Give the name of an object that was given by Bilbo Baggins to someone specific after his departure from the Shire on his 111th birthday.

1 Empty Bookcase
1 Wine
1 Silver Spoons
1 Red Book
1 Umbrella

All correct answers here, and different ! [] I had a precise list in mind, and the Red-Book and Wine (which is not an object per se, but I took it to be short for "Bottles of Wine") were not among it. They are still correct, though. Other possible answers included Waste-Paper Basket and the One Ring.

3) Name a great-grand-parent of Arwen.

3 Idril
1 Tuor
1 Nimloth

All correct again, but too many Idrils for my taste [] In this case the simpler was the better, apparently. What about Finarfin and Dior ?

4) Name a chapter of The Lord of the Rings in which one or more characters encounter at least one wild, non-speaking animal (no trees).

2 Three is Company
1 A Knife in the Dark
WRONG :
1 Chapter IX
1 Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbits

Two wrong answers here : Hamfast said "Chapter IX", which means nothing as there are precisely 6 different Chapter IXs in LoTR. I looked in the first of those, "At the Sign of the Prancing Pony", and found nothing. Artaresto thought of the Oliphaunt, but it in unfortunately tamed, and thus not wild.

5) Name a region of Beleriand that was at some point ruled/dominated by one or more of the sons of Fëanor.

3 Thargelion
1 East Beleriand
WRONG :
1 Hithlum

Hithlum is wrong : the sons of Fëanor camped there upon their arrival in Beleriand, but never dominated per se the region. East Beleriand is mostly correct, but not all of it is under the rule of the sons (most of it, though) so I counted it as correct but Thargelion being a more specific variant of it (see rules), the Silmarillion map being not very clear about it. Thargelion was the easiest answer, but Pass of Aglon and March of Maedhros would have been correct as well.

6) Name an object that was explicitly carried by a Hobbit from the Fellowship after their departure from Rivendell.

1 One Ring
1 Mithril Armor
1 Silver Belts
1 Mallorn Tree Seed
WRONG ANSWERS :
1 Herbs

Weirdly enough, this question got only two correct answers. The One Ring was the obvious answer, Mithril Armor being also corret but a little more hard to guess. Sam never got any herbs before the Oliphaunt episode, since he had to tell Gollum to get some to stew his rabbits. The silver belts and the mallorn seed were presents from Galadriel, thus not being carried from Rivendell. Other answers include : pipe, kitchen tools, box of salt...
CORRECTION : See below.

7) Name a character from the Legendarium that fell in love with someone from a different race.

2 Gimli
1 Finduilas
1 Melian
WRONG
1 Beleg

Kudos to DQ and Artaresto for the answers "Melian" and "Finduilas" respectively. [] Hard to draw a line between actual love and deep feeling of fondness in Tolkien, sometimes. The line here is arbitrary.

Anyway, congrats to Artaresto and thanks to all of you. So, would you be up for another one ? If you found the questions too difficult, that can be arranged... []

[ 06-07-2011, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Art!

quote:
Name an object that was explicitly carried by a Hobbit from the Fellowship after their departure from Rivendell.

1 One Ring
1 Mithril Armor
WRONG ANSWERS :
1 Herbs
1 Silver Belts
1 Mallorn Tree Seed

after their departure is somewhat ambiguous and could be interpreted in different ways. Just saying... []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I'm willing to believe you, but I don't get it. In which ways ? []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

The "after their departure" part. The mallorn tree nut was after they departed - just not right away. More accurately would be upon their departure or as they departed...

That being said, your English is better than some I know that were born and raised speaking the English language and none other, and my French is limited to maybe a hundred words, so thanks for learning it. no worries. []

More importantly, about Gimli's love for Galadriel and his type of love... []

Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for not getting in on this. I was able to come up with a couple of answers without having to do any research, but I didn't get a chance to look through my books for answers to some of the others. []
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

quote:
The mallorn tree nut was after they departed - just not right away. More accurately would be upon their departure or as they departed...
Oh, yes, you're right ! [] [] Sorry about that. I guess that makes Silver Belts and Mallorn Tree Seed both correct, then, but that your "Herbs" answer is still wrong, though [] My bad, I'll amend in the results post. []

Éomer : no prob. I guess that tells me that I should choose easier questions [] Or maybe do one in the Pony with arbitrary questions on any subject []

[ 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well you can keep the Silver Belts one as for some reason I thought you meant the departure from Lorien! But I might cry offside for the Beleg one. I'd still only have a measly four right and 3 others would still be above me
Although I would beat Pi even if only on Electoral Collage rules! []

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Thanks for being honest, Ham []

I think you pushed it too far with Beleg [] In that case, Frodo and Sam could have been correct answer as well [] [] [] []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well that was going to be my other choice but I thought others would go for it! But I was thinking of companionship love rather than of the marriage kind. Odd however thinking about it that that type of relationship in Tolkien's work is nearly always between males. I can't think of two women who have any kind of close relationship in Tolkien's work can anyone else? Slightly off-topic.
Roll of Honor Aikanáro
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3121

posted      Profile for Aikanáro   Email Aikanáro   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In that case, Frodo and Sam could have been correct answer as well
Now, I'll admit that it's been a while since my last reread, but - no. []

Frodo and Sam are both hobbits. []

From: Mar Vanwa Tyaliéva | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I also thought 'after their departure' was very very open to interpretation. In fact, I also said mallorn seed, IIRC. []

E: I did, just checked in the answers post lol. Go me for at least not getting any wrong - I am most surprised. []

Anyway, Congratulations Arty and I would be up for playing again if other people are interested.

[ 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: The DarkQueen Iauraearien ]

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

I can't do anything before the weekend. I might have time then. []

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help