Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries (Page 1)
Author Topic: NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone,

On a different forum, we've just discovered a fun game that I thought would be perfect for Minas Tirith - as long as enough people are playing it. I'll post the rules here, and the questions.

Here it is :

The purpose of this game is as follows: for each of the questions, your objective is to give an answer that
(1) is correct, and
(2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible.
** Answers must be submitted by email or PM only. DO NOT POST ANSWERS HERE **

QUESTIONS

0) Name a region of Númenor.

1) Name a day (no year) where a member of the Fellowship of the Ring got hurt in The Lord of the Rings.

2) Give the name of an object that was given by Bilbo Baggins to someone specific after his departure from the Shire on his 111th birthday.

3) Name a great-grand-parent of Arwen.

4) Name a chapter of The Lord of the Rings in which one or more characters encounter at least one wild, non-speaking animal (no trees).

5) Name a region of Beleriand that was at some point ruled/dominated by one or more of the sons of Fëanor.

6) Name an object that was explicitly carried by a Hobbit from the Fellowship after their departure from Rivendell.

7) Name a character from the Legendarium that fell in love with someone from a different race.

LONG RULES
In order to participate in the contest, send your answers to me by email or PM before 11pm GMT on June 5th. It is of course essential that nobody sees the answers given by other entrants before the deadline, so please do NOT post your answers here!
If there are fewer than 5 entrants, I may not bother working out who's won, so if this sounds like fun, do encourage others to play.
Make sure you have read the rules before submitting your answers.
YOUR ATTENTION IS SPECIFICALLY DRAWN TO RULE 3. Please supply the information asked for and only the information asked for. If you supply two answers, I will take the first one.

1. Answers
For each of the questions above, your objective is to give an answer that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW other people as possible. Feel free to use any reference material you like to RESEARCH your answers; but when you have found enough possible answers for your liking, you are expected to choose on your own which one to submit, WITHOUT mechanical or computer assistance: this is meant to be a game of wits.

2. Scoring
The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a final score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1. If your answer to a question is correct, then your score is the number of people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent. A wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty. This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the highest score that anyone would have on this question if all answers were deemed correct
2.1 More Specific Variants
On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer that is a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else. In that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if the two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant will be scored as if they are the same.

3. Entries
Entries must be sent to me personally by email or by using this forum's PM function. Do NOT post your answers here! In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization, English usage, or other such matters of form, except if it changes altogether the answer (e.g. Haldir/Haldar). Sometimes a specific question may imply stricter rules, though. And if you give an answer that properly refers to a different thing related to the one you intended, I will normally take it as written. Once you intentionally submit an answer, no changes will be allowed, unless I decide there was a problem with the question. Similarly, alternate answers within an entry will not be accepted. Only the first answer that you intentionally submit counts.
3.1 Clarifications
Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail in this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific answer, and I mustn't do that.) In order to be fair to all entrants, I must insist that requests for clarification must be emailed to me. But if you do ask for clarification, I'll probably say that the question is clear enough as posted. If I do decide to clarify or change a question, all entrants will be informed.
3.2 Supporting Information
It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information to justify your answers. If you don't, I'll PM you to ask for it if I need to. If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your answers, you are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they are not part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as long as you're clear.

5. Naming
Answers to any question that requires you to 'name' a character must give the actual name of that character: if the name of the character is not given in the text, that character is not an acceptable answer.

6. Judging
I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct, and whether two answers with similar meaning are considered the same, different, or more/less specific variants. I will do my best to be fair on all such issues, but sometimes it is necessary to be arbitrary. I may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and it affects the high finishers.

[ 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*looks at above post* []

C'mon, it looks complicated, but it's not, really []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry this offering had no takers but...
quote:
Name a character from the Legendarium that fell in love with someone from a different race.
This made me wonder: would Gimli's love of Galadriel qualify?
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Well, I'm not fully desperate yet, since I said "before May 31st". [] I have one answer so far [] I don't really get why people didn't even bother to try, because it looks like a fun game and it sure was popular on our French website. But anyways... []

Oh, and thanks for ruining a question - you could have waited a little longer before asking that... [] []

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
excusez-moi []
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

If you want me to forgive you, try the game ! [] [] []
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

c'est le chantage!
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No can do. Last exam ends the day after your deadline. (Conveniently [] )

(Sorry [] )

From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Will do it tomorrow. These three days have been work and sleep. [] []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Well, Teply, I could postpone the deadline a few days later... []

pi, well, it is, but you like it this way, don't you ? []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I could give this a go! Though I will have to consult the books for some of the answers. I think I must be slipping I'm sure in the past I might not have done.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

quote:
pi, well, it is, but you like it this way, don't you?
No, [] but I'll consider this game anyway. []

I still wonder about my question. To be "in love" with someone rather than "to love" someone, implies a romantic kind of love. I don't believe Gimli's was. Does anyone?

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do we have to give answers to all before we submit?
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I guess there's no reason why you couldn't give a part of your answers first. []

pi, could we leave this discussion for after the results of the game , please? [] The whole point of the game is strategy. So, try and answer what you wish, I'll make a decision, and then we can discuss the matter []

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Got Hamfast's entries. []
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Hey! Since when does anyone ask questions and number them starting with 0?
Telperaca
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4298

posted      Profile for Telperaca   Email Telperaca   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Trend setter []
From: Wonderland | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Yay 3 answers ! []

Pi, well, I stole the rules and the general outline of my first post on another forum, on which the first question was numbered "0". So sue me [] It doesn't prevent you from playing, does it ? [] []

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I started a draft with the first answer, but then something about a number zero and not wanting to research the books at the time made me get kind of harumphy.... []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As long as I beat Pi in this, I'll be happy! []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Are you just trying to ensure my participation, Sir Ham of Gamgee?
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] This looks like fun. I hope I get time to join in! But I won't get time to if I keep posting here instead of working... [] *ahem*
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » NEW Tolkien Game - Rare Entries (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help