Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  31  32  33 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Password Game #11
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I. Trees which provide protection from trees. - Hedge (or High Hay)
II. Those are men-slayers, and the most famous 4 were all slain by Men. Dragons
III. He cannot even ride a horse, the doofus ! []
IV. Hush ! The wind in my sail... Can't you hear ? Reams I do not need. Eärrámë
V. Nargothrond. A unique gift. Later, a murder in retribution.Nauglamír
VI. "Some are blue, some are red, some you put on velvet beds. Tied on strings or set in bands, these babies can rule the land." - Jewels
VII. Before Rath Celerdain, some had been much more huge... [] - Lamps
VIII. The same than the 'fake' one, but much harder. Truesilver
IX. Industrial Revolution's victim. - Old Mill
X. Approximately destroyed by Melkor's malice. Ormal
XI. Needed wit to deciper them and then find their hidden meaning [] - Tîw
XII. Those who use them grow weed or get killed [] When they're not cut in two... Horns
XIII. Elvish 'magic' undid Sam's. - Knot
XIV. Tolkien created an equivalent for it using tengwar that he used pretty often. & (Ampersand)
XV. One example. - Inns
XVI. Ulmo and Ossë can move them ! - Islands
XVII. Up until 78 of those can be found sometimes ! [] Notes

III. Answer is not "He", but a member of the answer would probably think that sentece about another member of the answer. Which is cryptic. The letters being some of "a horse, the doofus".
IV. Cryptic. The answer is the "I". It is an object.
VIII. Could have been "As shiny as the "fake" one, but much harder and much more valuable"
XII. What gets cut in two in LoTR ?
XIV. It's something we use in English. It's on your keyboard.
XVII. Answer in HoMe XII. Think externally.

[ 03-16-2009, 03:23 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IV. Eärrámë?
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, WT and Gna don't seem to be about at the moment, so we've all you've got!

Edit: So we could be in trouble!

[ 03-09-2009, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
VIII. Mithril (a.k.a. 'true silver')

[e: moved to new post, as Inc' had answered before the first edit, but I hadn't seen the answer.]

[ 03-09-2009, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

[] []
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
XVII. Footnotes (numbered per chapter, 'Of Dwarves and Men' in particular)

e: The clues you've been giving on XIV are to me contradictory. Which may of course just mean that I'm thinking up the wrong tree. But what's on the keyboard? Letters, digits, special characters and editing and special functions. Yet you say the answer is an "it", i.e. singular. Which makes me think of concepts like 'Alphabet', 'Script', 'Character set'. Yet Tolkien emphasised that Tengwar are not an Alphabet (App. E II i), and a Script is what Tengwar are, not what is created using them (neither is Alphabet, for that matter). And I refuse to think of 'Character set' as a Tolkienian concept.

I can just barely make 'Alphabet' work in the sense of the 'New English Alphabet' that Tolkien developed using some of the Tengwar shapes and similar characters.

[ 03-09-2009, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

YAY for Mith ! [] []

quote:
The clues you've been giving on XIV are to me contradictory. Which may of course just mean that I'm thinking up the wrong tree. But what's on the keyboard? Letters, digits, special characters and editing and special functions. Yet you say the answer is an "it", i.e. singular.
Very well thought. But why couldn't it be one of the things I chose to put in bold ? It would be a singular, then. And remember, some tengwar also corresponded to other things than just letters, especially in Tolkien's English mode - for instance what's written on the first page of the HoMes [] What I'm looking for is the English equivalent : a character that means more than one letter.
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
&
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Okay, no-one finding what object gets cut in two in LoTR would be kind of disturbing []

Can someone please guess the scrambled password and the last two guesses please ? []

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
XII - Horn
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Thanks, Varna [] []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is the password scrambled, BTW?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

No, the password is actually HD_ENJLTOOTHK&IIN []

Read three posts above []

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Inkster, I've been in your situation and can sympathize, so -

III. Eotheod (I think).

Password:

-

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

*bows* [] []

Your go ? []

[ 03-17-2009, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God, no. I only answered to end your misery.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

That's what I thought [] Your good deed of the day []

Thanks a lot anyway []

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Taking a quick look at the password - eh - taking another look, finding out what part of the inscription actually is the password ...

Took an extra look, as I actually never think of Edith & John Tolkien - I think of Edith & Ronald Tolkien ...

Not complaining, as I wasn't actively looking for the password.

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

quote:
Took an extra look, as I actually never think of Edith & John Tolkien - I think of Edith & Ronald Tolkien ...
Well, me too, but the Password was already kind of long... as history proved []
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

[]

Btw, Mith, since you found a bunch of clues, isn't it your tunr now ? []

Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
No thank you, got too much on my plate already ... []
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Can't say that I'm surprised... []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  31  32  33 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help