Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  31  32  33 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Password Game #11
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wild guess for III. A bit wild, actually. Is it Bill Ferny?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Nope. This one is cryptic. And the answer isn't the "He" of the clue. But the answer of the clue would think that sentence, in that situation.

I. Trees which provide protection from trees. - Hedge (or High Hay)
II. Those are men-slayers, and the most famous 4 were all slain by Men. Dragons
III. He cannot even ride a horse, the doofus ! []
IV. Hush ! The wind in the sail... Can't you hear ? Reams I do not need.
V. Nargothrond. A unique gift. Later, a murder in retribution.Nauglamír
VI. "Some are blue, some are red, some you put on velvet beds. Tied on strings or set in bands, these babies can rule the land." - Jewels
VII. Before Rath Celerdain, some had been much more huge... [] - Lamps
VIII. The same than the 'fake' one, but much harder.
IX. Industrial Revolution's victim. - Old Mill
X. Approximately destroyed by Melkor's malice. Ormal
XI. Needed wit to deciper them and then find their hidden meaning [] - Tîw
XII. Those who use them grow weed or get killed [] When they're not cut in two...
XIII. Elvish 'magic' undid Sam's. - Knot
XIV. Tolkien created an equivalent for it using tengwar that he used pretty often.
XV. One example. - Inns
XVI. Ulmo and Ossë can move them ! - Islands
XVII. Up until 78 of those can be found sometimes ! []

E : Thanks Nash for the edits []

[ 03-08-2009, 11:51 AM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
III) Felaróf? (thinking about Leód?)

Edit: V) Nauglamír?

[ 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Aerel ]

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
III. [] Where is the crypticness ? []

V. [] []

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So that's where we're going with this one is it! I can see this been quite tricky. Gets out Lotr, The Silmarillion, the Hobbit, a Thearosarus and a thinking cap!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Time for hints, then ! I modified II. and added a hint for XII.

III., IV., X. are all cryptic.

For XIV. and XVII., think externally, using HoMe XII for instance []

Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
II - Dragons?
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

[] []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Think I'm a bit stumped here, might be time for more clues!
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Ok, now to get this correctly this might be a bit of a team effort. So, let's take no III. We're talking about someone that cannot ride a horse, or at least a comment upon one. Trouble is, I cannot think of anyone in the Legendurium, save perhaps Gimli which I was told was wrong that can't. A few possibilities, Bombur was told he was fat, but was he so fat he couldn't ride a horse? Earnur I think was unable to face the Witch-king because his horse fled, but he still rode it, Frodo couldn't actually ride Glorfindel's horse, but then he did manage to stay on it with help. Anyone else has any hints?

[ 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
III. Glorfindel? (Because in the movies he didn't ride... And "doofus" wouldn't be directed to Glorf but to PJ... [] )
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like team efforts.. now by saying clue 3 is cryptic, does that mean it's a code of some sort, or perhaps it's a riddle? I'll go with the riddle option simply because I have a possible answer that way.

Hobbits as a race generally couldn't ride horses. The Bullroarer gained a fair bit of notoriety by actually being large enough to do so. So I'm going to guess the answer is a hobbit. Calling him a 'doofus' seems to be sarcastic so I'll go with an especially wise hobbit.

Let's try...

III - Bilbo

if this is a code, perhaps it's an anagram of 'the doofus'.. I notice the word 'foot' in there but can't make heads or tails out of the rest []

[ 03-01-2009, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Well, this is the Password Game, guys. All clues are riddles. 'Cryptic' means that the answer is either actually entirely written in the clue, or approximately, or that the pronounciation of it is close to a part of the clue, or that the clue describes how to pronounce the word.

I already said that in that case (III), the answer is not "He". But the answer (or part of it) would definitely think so []

quote:
if this is a code, perhaps it's an anagram of 'the doofus'.. I notice the word 'foot' in there but can't make heads or tails out of the rest
You're on the right track here, really.
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

So the answer to 3 is who or whatever might have had that thought.. which makes me think it's a horse that was forced to tote a non-rider.

III - Arod?

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Again, where is the crypticness in that ? []

I also gave you a hint saying that the answer was actually a "it" []

Thanks for trying, though []

Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
III South Folde?

... I can get "South Fode", so I don't think this is entirely correct. But, it might relate back to Léod, somehow.

Edit: House of DT, DT of course being the originator of the phrase "Dratted Trees!"; this saying has since fallen into disuse after the encounter the Rohirrim had with the Ents and Huorns after the Battle of Helm's Deep.

[ 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: Aerel ]

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

[] indeed !

Okay, I might be a very back Password maker, apparently. The answer is indeed a scramble, using the letters that you used, Aerel. It is an Old English word, but known by almost everyone here, I'd say.

I cannot say more without just giving it away ! []

[ 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Inc' ]

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

Okay, more hints :

IV. Cryptic. The answer is the "I". It is an object.
VIII. Could have been "As shiny as the "fake" one, but much harder and more valuable.
X. One of the VII.
XII. What gets cut in two in LoTR ?
XIV. It's something we use in English. It's on your keyboard.
XVII. Answer in HoMe XII. Think externally.

[]

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

XIV: Letters? []
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Well, X must be a 50/50 chance. Illuin?
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If so, I guess Ormal then. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

*is getting tired of people who don't read what he writes* []

XIV. is a "it", as written [] []
There is no 50/50 chance for X. I said it was cryptic. And Ormal it is [] []

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I looked cryptically but that 's' disrupts the answer. I would not have guessed that the word was hidden there.
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

I was not talking about you. You just arrived in the game, I didn't assume you read all the previous posts []

Anyway, when you know it's cryptic and that there is only two answers possible, plus the "approximately"...

*misses cryptic experts such as WT and Gna* []

Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Approximately. [] I'd never make that connection. []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  ...  31  32  33 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help