Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  31  32  33 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 18)
Author Topic: The Password Game #11
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
7) (out on a limb) Oswin Errol?
14) possibly Glamdring.
And if I might hazard a guess for 10), it could just be as simple as Anar - but of course there are other possibilities ...

[] And may I just say I'm not best pleased? The previous one dragged on for weeks and weeks, and I've been tearing out hairs over those last three impossibles, and then I'm unable to come in here for nearly two weeks, and straightaway the thing gets solved and you have had nearly all the fun with the new one, leaving me just to break my head over the impossibles again! Yes, I'm seriously disgruntled. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am in too great doubt to rule. To prepare or to let be? To prepare for war, which is yet only guessed: train craftsmen and tillers in the midst of peace for bloodspilling and battle: put iron in the hands of greedy captains who will love only conquest, and count the slain as their glory? Will they say to Eru: At least your enemies were amongst them? Or to fold hands, while friends die unjustly: let men live in blind peace, until the ravisher is at the gate? What then will they do: match naked hands against iron and die in vain, or flee leaving the cries of women behind them? Will they say to Eru: At least I spilled no blood?
'When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice? Let the Valar rule under Eru!
- Tar Meneldur [UT 2 II:173-174]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
15) Hildor?
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mith
7) (out on a limb) Oswin Errol? - nee, and this is a Sil-only list.
14) possibly Glamdring. - nein
And if I might hazard a guess for 10), it could just be as simple as Anar - but of course there are other possibilities ... - nyet

quote:
And may I just say I'm not best pleased? The previous one dragged on for weeks and weeks, and I've been tearing out hairs over those last three impossibles, and then I'm unable to come in here for nearly two weeks, and straightaway the thing gets solved and you have had nearly all the fun with the new one, leaving me just to break my head over the impossibles again! Yes, I'm seriously disgruntled.
Sorry about that. Look at it as if you arrived just in time to show the true depth of your knowledge, leaving the easy ones to us lightweights. []

Art
15) Hildor? – Nei

1) Dolmed - a wet mountain
2) Melian - there's always a first - giver of special sustenance to man
3) Aglareb, Dagor - (august, celebrated, dazzling, distinguished, effulgent, eminent, esteemed, exalted, famed, famous, fine, grand, great, heavenly, heroic, honored, illustrious, magnificent, majestic, marvelous, memorable, noble, preeminent, radiant, remarkable, renowned, resplendent, shining, triumphant, venerable, well-known, wonderful) battle
4) Uinen - Maia Lady and spouse
5) Seventy times - Wait, how many days shall come?
6) Nóm - name some men gave to a son of Finarfin
7) Úmarth - a fictitious name for his father
8) Endor - another name for M-e
9) Eöl - dragon bane smith
10) Rana - a name of a celestial object
11) Brodda - slain immediately after a dragon’s spell was wiped clear
12) Taniquetil - Holy Mt.
13) Nandor - those who turn back
14) Ringil - weapon of Indis’ descendant
15) Engwar - an Elvish name for Men

[ 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: pi ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Er...if [] is meant to be "Sickly," then Aikanáro already guessed "Engwar."

And how many descendants of Indis whose name started with F had a named sword in The Sil aside from Fingolfin? []

From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ach! 7) Úmarth!

For 10) I'm now tempted to go for Eärendil, even though that song was sung in 1959 ... []

And after what Éomer said, 14) is an open goal.

( [] might also point to mortal, but Fírimor - proposed by Éomer - has also already been rejected. And the Sindarin of Fírimor is Fírib, or Fîr, but that's HoMe stuff.)

[ 08-14-2009, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Éomer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2824

posted      Profile for Éomer   Email Éomer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And after what Éomer said, 14) is an open goal.
But I already guessed Ringil, hence my confusion.
From: Serenity | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
So you did. Well, I can only share your confusion (as on 15).
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
10) Rana? Noldor name for the moon?

15) Edain?

[ 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
7) Úmarth! – correct

Engwar is correct as well. Sheesh! wtf? sorry guys. I'm doing a lousy job.

quote:
But I already guessed Ringil, hence my confusion.
You did? That’s correct. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

10) Rana? Noldor name for the moon? – yeah, baby!

I apologize for my misunderstanding. Somehow I missed responses when, uh, responding, to others! I am truly repentent. Mea culpa.

So, it looks like we're done (unless I screwed up something else) except for guessing the clue itself.
Has anyone figured it out, now that I'm finally caught up with the rest of you?

[ 08-14-2009, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: pi ]

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I didn't expect to get Rana [] Do you know, I had to get a copy of the Silm to the Pub with me and look at any reference to the Moon it had to get that one! Still, it could have been worse, I might have been reading Newspapers. Oh, and I don't seem to recall an early-sixties tune called Rana, but I don't have a complete knowledge of early-sixties tunes!

[ 08-14-2009, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

Rana is The Wanderer, a song by Dion.

Now that you have all the letters, what's the answer?

[ 08-14-2009, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: pi ]

Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I think those involved are so pissed at my screw up that they gave up on taking this any further. []
Sorry 'bout that.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just a clue; is it an anagram? []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

wait for it...
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I took it upon myself to leap boldly into password-guessing mode and almost cried myself to sleep when I got the answer, my unnumbered tears all a-shed.

But! I shall cry no longer for, excitement upon excitements, The Laurenendôrian and I are in the process of creating such a password for the senses that hopefully you shall all faint at your computer desks from amazement.[1]

On Saturday[2], we shall be posting it. Be ready!

[1] Neither of us accept responsibility for any injury or accident caused in this way.

[2] Or thenabouts.

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

ding ding ding ding!
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

posted      Profile for Aerel   Email Aerel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
1) A steward, the second, not from Arda.
2) Destroy the ice hull to find one who married a tree?
3) What he needed in such circumstances, Sam realised, was not a pack animal but the Goddess herself.
4) The band has its lord, early lost in near night.
5) Father of black twins, and another blacker still.
6) Married a dwarf!? How did that finish, I'd love to hear.
7) Mostly better than a pirate, it's claimed (by rodents?).
8) Drunk a gallon? At fifty to one strength that shouldn't get in the way of duties.
9) I live in the Faëre-land.
10) Of a piece with Caranthir and Daeron, if shorter, but needs no miner's lamp.
11) "Bring me ore!" the king cried.
12) Deep under Zirakzigil awaits king's first antagonist.

[ 10-11-2009, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Aerel ]

From: England | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

I'll start slowly, perhaps easily, and hopefully correctly.
1) Denethor?

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid it isn't so.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

1) Gandalf?
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
12) Durin's Bane ... ?
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

No and no.

We've edited the clue for 1) slightly.

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

10) Luthien?
Aerel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2697

Sorry, no.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Password Game #11 (Page 18)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  31  32  33 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help