profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Turin and Nellas
Author Topic: Turin and Nellas
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After reading the Children of Hurin, one thought that popped into my head was did Turin and Nellas ever, do it? Have sexual relations, that is! Well, I was just wondering. A young handsome man warrior with an Elf-maiden. Especially one of the Teleri who I am guessing might have had slightly looser morals than that of the Noldor. Especially in Beleriand and at that time. The two did seem to spend a lot of their time alone in the trees of Doriath.

[ 01-27-2009, 04:02 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps in your version of Middle-earth, but sexual immorality was a definite no-no and unthinkable for Tolkien's Middle-earth.

I think it really is sad that anyone would even consider such a thing. I suppose it is more of a sad reflection of today's Society.

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so. But similar questions have popped up before.

Aragorn and Arwen

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the first few posts of that thread just goes to support what I said in my first post.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tigranes
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 9076
posted      Profile for Tigranes   Email Tigranes   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thinking it over, I would say that it is one of the bigger virtues of Tolkien's literary work that he never included sexual details and the like. If you look at other works of fiction, especially fantasy books/novels, you will find that such scenes are almost always kind of awkward and carry the air of wishful thinking about them. It somehow tarnishes the novel with a too "personal" touch of the author (unless he or she is a very skilled person).
Thus, I am eternally grateful to Tolkien for his leaving out parts that would not add to the quality of the story anyway.

From: anywhere | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"After reading the Children of Hurin, one thought that popped into my head was did Turin and Nellas ever, do it? Have sexual relations, that is! Well, I was just wondering."
This is the realm of fan fiction. Think & fantasize what you think may have happened, and write it u. That it isn't spelled out is good.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
On the other hand, of all the things that happened to people in Beleriand in the first age, a little consensual sexual activity would be the least of the lands worries! And Turin is one of the more gruffy tales of the book anyway. If it happens anywhere it could happen here, though I agree there is no need to spell it out in detail! But this might be of relevance to Turin's character later. Oh, well, I'll just leave him to committing murder, killing his best friend and marrying his sister then. No complications there. And having entire dwellings slaughtered and civilians tortured and slowly killed by Orcs. Morally, I think I know which are the more evil events!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other hand, of all the things that happened to people in Beleriand in the first age, a little consensual sexual activity would be the least of the lands worries! And Turin is one of the more gruffy tales of the book anyway.
Yes indeed. Afterall, Turin was banging his sister even if he didn't know it at the time.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

I think this thread does raise an interesting point. One which I have to admit I thought would when I created it as I remember. It is curious how when one mentions the idea of sex in Tolkien's world, even very subtly there is a bit of an outcry. Unmarried sex in particular. In fact, I don't supposed I would have been allowed to read any of it under 13 at least. Yet it is strange that I am allowed to read a tale in which people are nearly cooked alive, chopped alive and put into slavery eaten by giant spiders burned alive, almost starve and then at the end hundreds die painful deaths in a battle and this is called great literature. Which I don't disagree by the way! But I do think sometimes that this does give our young folk a bit of an odd view on life at times!
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Turin and Nellas
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help