Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Children of Hurin
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Group of 3 ? I used that because they are somehow the three official illustrators (meaning : in the books) of Tolkien.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK. Then this whole series of posts was totally stoopid. So - yeah.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who are the three? I can only think of two: John Howe and Alan Lee.

Hildebrandt?

Oh, no wait, my favorite: Ted Nasmith! Duh... []

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pssssst ! interviews []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Children of Húrin Release Party

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So do I take it that this book comes out sometime about now?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Actually, I am now feeling a lot better about things, in general.

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo! My copy has arrived in Helsinki! I should get it in a couple of hours! I've been obsessively tracking my book on the DHL website. Egad. That's sad. Anyway:
quote:

Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 14, 2007 12:53 Birmingham - UK Shipment picked up

April 16, 2007 15:57 Birmingham - UK Departing origin

April 16, 2007 20:21 Birmingham - UK Departed from DHL facility in Birmingham - UK

April 16, 2007 21:00 East Midlands - UK Arrived at DHL facility in East Midlands - UK

April 17, 2007 00:47 East Midlands - UK Departed from DHL facility in East Midlands - UK

April 17, 2007 01:53 Brussels - Belgium Transferred through Brussels - Belgium

April 17, 2007 02:36 Brussels - Belgium Arrived at DHL facility in Brussels - Belgium

April 17, 2007 03:57 Brussels - Belgium Departed from DHL facility in Brussels - Belgium

April 17, 2007 08:28 Helsinki - Finland Arrived at DHL facility in Helsinki - Finland

I'll be sure to taunt everyone when I get it.

Edit: [taunt] I got it! [/taunt]

[ 04-17-2007, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* Would have gotten it already but missed the courier *
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Got my copy this morning. Very handsome book, with the illustrations by Alan Lee, both watercolour and pencil, of superlative quality.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine on the way home from the convocation today. I need to escape into a fantasy world this evening. Tolkien and beer and some great Alan Lee illustrations should do the trick.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Esthetic level []
I specially like the paintings of Húrin on his seat, and of Glaurung entering Brethil. The map is quite cool, although I'm not sure if Christopher should still draw maps (and cf. infra) []

On the substance : well, I've to say I'm rather disappointed, and in the mean time very happy (on particular but intersting points) []
I mean, most of all we can read was already known (certainly 95 %) ...
BUT, new stuff are very interesting (from my point of view), especially about Andróg and about Mîm (the only footnote !). And also about a certain city sending troops during Nirnaeth Arnoediad (which pleases me a lot ^^ - though we knew it from HoMe XI I think).

Something I'm not sure (and I would like to hear comments about it) : last time I fully read UT was 3-4 years ago, but it seems to me that sometime, the wording is more precise, as for instance with the "curse" of Morgoth.

Genealogic Tables : I'm quite upset, compared with HoMe XI.
Map : nothing new []

[ 04-17-2007, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I had to work late last night and only got about half way through it. Yes, I noticed that there were some changes in wording. I made a conscious effort not to have UT and the Annals sitting beside me as I read. I didn't want to always be thinking "Hey! That sounds different. I better check UT." I'll read it as it is - a stand alone entity. Then I'll go back and analyse it and compare it with other texts to see what exactly Chrisopher has done. []

So far I am enjoying it. I'll post my "book review" when I'm done.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was particularly encouraged by the preface, which contained hints that there are at least two other Great Tales that could be put into single-book form.

I only had time for chapter one last night. []

Also, I have to [] at the book reviews in the other thread. What a bunch of self-important jerks they are.

[ 04-18-2007, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Eluchil - Speaking for myself, feel free to post fully (i.e. without fear of disclosing "spoilers"). It's not like we don't know the story already anyway, and whatever new stuff there is will still be interesting even if I learn it before next week.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
You want spoilers ? here are two interesting ones :
  • Mîm was not captured by Orcs but was looking for them when he betrayed Bar-en-Danwedh (though the capture thing is mentionned in the footnote). The character is for me much darker. Also, one of his conditions for the betrayal is that the Orcs should capture Beleg for him.
  • and when Beleg was bound and Mîm was ready to kill him, Beleg is saved by ... Andróg !

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
DPR:
quote:
Also, I have to [] at the book reviews in the other thread. What a bunch of self-important jerks they are.
Which thread?
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Children of Hurin Book Reviews
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Adam Tolkien explains how the book came about.
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Interview with Adam Tolkien in Spanish and English.
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elentari KYM
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3644

posted      Profile for Elentari KYM   Email Elentari KYM   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
THank you for linking all these reviews!
From: over the Western sea into Valinor | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
#1 on New York Times Bestseller List!

Woohoo!

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere Christopher is saying.... ka-ching!
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
That's fine by me. If you are going to pay money for entertainment, I think this is well spent.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... I still haven't bought the book. I'm not convinced that it isn't just a rehash of already printed material. Not enough new material to justify buying a hard-back copy. I may shell out the £££ for a paper-back.
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't bought it yet, because I still have 8 HoMEs to buy, and by then the Children of Húrin is available in paperback. Most adequate indeed []

[ 04-30-2007, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help