Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Children of Hurin
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
Hmmm. Actually, I was trying to post that link to the Silmarillion Movie - XXX Gorefeast thread. I was in a hurry and had a number of glasses of wine last night and wasn't paying attention. Sorry.

And I noticed the mistakes too.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3029
posted      Profile for Hyarion   Author's Homepage   Email Hyarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the final version of the cover for those who haven't seen it yet:

-

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Tolkien IRC Chat #MinasTirith
Tolkien Encyclopedia
Tolkien News

From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I like the picture, as it is. I think that is a pretty good choice. But I'm curious - is that supposed to be the Dragon-helm? I can see the gilden image of the dragon on the crest, but where is the visor?

Edit: And perhaps that is Beleg with the bow lower on the slope. Perhaps this is on Amon Rûdh.

[ 02-12-2007, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Amazon UK is offering 40% off for a final price of £11.38 while Amazon US is offering 34% off for $17.16. I just preordered mine from the UK site and chose ungodly fast ungodly expensive shipping.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Is the release date still April 16, 2007?
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Yes, but you can preorder now. Amazon is also offering a deal with the new History of the Hobbit books coming out in May.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like a two for one deal?

*goes off to check Amazon*

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tyrhael
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5522
posted      Profile for Tyrhael   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Capt. Bingo on LotRPlaza.com made me aware that the Tolkien Library has a list of the Table of Contents for Narn i-Chîn Húrin:

Contents data are machine generated based on pre-publication provided by the publisher and info was recovered from the Library of Congress. Contents may have variations from the printed book or be incomplete. This table of content comes from The Children of Hurin first proofs (10/1/07 16:15) of the Houghton Mifflin Edition.

CONTENTS
Preface 7
Introduction 13
Note on Pronunciation 28
NARN I CHIN HURIN 31
The Tale of the Children of Húrin
I The Childhood of Húrin 33
II The Battle of Unnumbered Tears 52
III The words of Húrin and Morgoth 61
IV The Departure of Túrin 66
V Túrin in Doriath 80
VI Túrin among the Outlaws 98
VII Of Mîm the Dwarf 121
VIII The Land of Bow and Helm 141
IX The Death of Beleg 151
X Túrin in Nargothrond 159
XI The Fall of Nargothrond 171
XII The Return of Túrin to Dor-lómin 182
XIII The Coming of Túrin into Brethil 192
XIV The Journey of Morwen and Niënor to Nargothrond 198
XV Niënor in Brethil 213
XVI The Coming of Glaurung 221
XVII The Death of Glaurung 234
XVIII The Death of Túrin 248
TABLES 261
Genealogies:
I The House of Hador & the people of Haleth 262
II The House of Bëor 263
III The princes of the Noldor 264
APPENDIX 265
(1) The Evolution of the Great Tales 267
(2) The Composition of the Text 281
LIST OF NAMES 291
Note on the map 319

Children of Húrin @ Tolkien Library

From: northern CT | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was pleasantly surprised to see the hardcover edition on offer at amazon.com for such a reasonable price. Especially given the fact that the hardcovers for the HoME volumes were initially quite expensive. (They've gone down in price too, although I prefer trade paperbacks, and I'll likely wait for a trade paper edition of Children of Hurin.).

http://www.amazon.com/Children-Hurin-J-R-R-Tolkien/dp/0618894640

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So there's nearly 300 pages of this tale.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] Can't wait! And I still have to buy 11 HoME books! Whoa there will be much Tolkien in time to come (inbetween studies, alas [] )
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's 300 pages with a wide margin and a rather large typesize. I estimate we will find only about 5% more material than in UT, the appendix included.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mithrennaith - Really? []

Chapters II and VIII-XI are at least not mentioned as mini-chapters in UT - are they to be taken from the BoLT 2 story, or from where?

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Chapter II will be the material that according to endnote 1 to the Narn in UT was left out there, because it was nearly identical to (part of) the Silmarillion account of the Nirnaeth. The "constituent text" of The Silmarillion mentioned by Christopher in that note is in The War of the Jewels revealed as part of the 'Grey Annals', see the introductory parts of 'NOTE 2' and 'NOTE 3' to that work, where we learn that also part of the Narn text was used. So this chapter will differ slightly, but not materially from part of what we can now read in the Sil chapter 20.

As to Chapters VIII-XI, it is here that we will obviously find the new material, but also the material from the Appendix to the UT Narn, as clearly follows from the editorial remarks preceding 'The return of Túrin to Dor-lómin' there, and also from the editorial parts of the Appendix itself. The actual text in the Appendix is about 10% of the total Narn text in UT. Four Chapters out of 18 will roughly represent about 20% of the actual text of The Children of Húrin. So that would suggest that about 10% of the CoH would be new. But some of this material will have been used in Chapter 21 of Sil or vary only slightly from what is used there, so I imagine the actual new material to be only about 5%.

This is not to say that 95% of CoH will be identical to the UT Narn or bits of Sil, for there exist several original texts of Narn that differ slightly in wording, and Christopher will most probably use as different a wording from what he used earlier as he plausibly can, so as to make the work as "new" as possible.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Mithrennaith.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

So then it's not really worth buying is it? []
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The closer it gets to release date and the more 'leaked' info we hear about the book the more it's looking I was right when I said []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

But will it have pretty pictures?
Hyarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3029
posted      Profile for Hyarion   Author's Homepage   Email Hyarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Did someone say pretty pictures?

-

High resolution

[ 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Hyarion ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Tolkien IRC Chat #MinasTirith
Tolkien Encyclopedia
Tolkien News

From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
That is a gorgeous picture. Look at the water of that river: you can see the water surface and the river bed and the water flowing in between!

But then, the man lives in Devon, out in the country; no wonder this is an Exmoor or Dartmoor river!

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I second this []
And as far as I know, the first picture of Menegroth from one of the G3 !

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingol:
quote:
So then it's not really worth buying is it?
At less than 20 bucks a copy? Of course it is, you Silly Swelf. []

e: There's a deluxe version for $45. I'm not too big into "collector's edition" books, but I love the illustration of the Dragon Helm on the case. [] I wonder who did it?

[ 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

What's G3, precious?
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
AL, JH & TN, preciouss!

[ 03-14-2007, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

But why are they called "G3"?

*feels stupid* []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help