Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Children of Hurin
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just ran across this news blurb and wanted to share:

Unfinished Tolkien work to be published in '07

That's all. Carry on...

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how much this would differ from the versions in HoME series.
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"It has seemed to me for a long time that there was a good case for presenting my father's long version of the legend of the 'Children of Hurin' as an independent work, between its own covers," Christopher Tolkien said in a statement.

Yeah sure there is Chris; it's called mega more bucks into your bank account, do you think we're stupid or something! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I wonder how much this would differ from the versions in HoME series.
It would be without Chris' comments on how he edited it and on the different A, B and C manuscript versions []

And we would buy it, too, wouldn't we?
I'm not sure about myself, though - it's too much tragedy for me ...

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
No need to be cynical about Christopher Tolkien editing (thirty years of it, note!) of the work. The Tolkien family are already wealthy. CRRT has devoted his life to the (extremely detailed and professional) editing of his father's (extremely difficult and diffuse) works. If he thinks there's good reason for a complete separate edition, no doubt there is.

We should be grateful there was someone like Christopher - intimately familiar with his father's work and a trained scholar - to give us all that we have seen since the master's death.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
True - without him, we wouldn't have had anything of the post mortem materials but perhaps Silmarillion. A publisher might have tried a go at that part, but I believe that would have been all.

I suppose I'm less than enthusiastic because The Children of Hurin is a story that I never was very enthusiastic about - too tragic []

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elora Starsong
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2099

posted      Profile for Elora Starsong   Email Elora Starsong   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I'd definately buy this.

The thing that I don't like most about HoME is how dry and historically dusty Tolkien's work becomes, with versions after versions compare, contrasted and dissected.

But, if there is enough material to create a tale as Tolkien would have intended it to be read, then I say hell yes. I'd read it.

So I hope the rumours are true, for the Children of Hurin is a piece of Tolkien's work that I truly revere.

From: Dancing 'twixt the stars | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine that it will include elements from at least the Narn I Hîn Húrin from UT, or the Lay of the Children of Húrin from HoMe III; I'd be more inclined to buy it if it's an expansion of the poetry version.

quote:
We should be grateful there was someone like Christopher - intimately familiar with his father's work and a trained scholar - to give us all that we have seen since the master's death.
I agree, Cernunnos- given that Christopher may have wanted to broaden access to his father's unpublished works, I think that publishing his research in the format of the HoMe volumes was a good choice. Some of his other options would have been to publish the research in a (long) series of articles in a literary journal, or as scholarly monographs. Those choices would have made Tolkien's works much less accessible to the general public.

It doesn't bother me at all that Christopher Tolkien has made money from his father's works and manuscripts. The vast majority of people expect to be paid for their work, scholarly or otherwise-why should Christopher be any different? If you're truly so high-minded and unconcerned with money, then just distribute your writings and research free on the Internet or as give-away paperbacks, instead of sending it to publishers in hopes of a book deal.

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amárië
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5498

posted      Profile for Amárië   Email Amárië   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Way too much Túrin for my tastes. []

But I'll probably buy it anyway, 'cause I'm totally a sucker for these things.

And I agree with Gna - Christopher Tolkien put a lot of work and time into the research for these, he deserves to get paid for his work. It's not something that should be suprising, or degraded.

From: Mishawaka, IN | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
First glimpse of the cover art, by good old Alan Lee:
 -
Release date is mid April.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] [] []
ME WANT ME WANT

[ 01-05-2007, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: Athene ]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Are there any hints as to how long this book is? If it is as many of these books are around 300 pages, then this would be a considerable expansion on the Children of Hurin story. Which in The Silmarillion was about 3 chapters.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
According to Amazon, which I imagine they got from Harper Collins:

quote:
Product details

Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins; De Luxe Ed edition (16 April 2007)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0007252234
ISBN-13: 978-0007252237
Product Dimensions: 5.9 x 9 inches
Amazon.co.uk Sales Rank: 4,032 in Books

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The cover shown above is that of the Dutch edition, offered for pre-sale on a Dutch mail order site.

However, it has been reported (by a reliable source) that this leaked cover is not the definitive one, but a test design.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll probably buy it but Turin isn't my favorite character. In fact, I think he's kind of a dope. Tuor, on the other hand, may be my favorite human character.

[ 01-07-2007, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: The Dread Pirate Roberts ]

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, it has been reported (by a reliable source) that this leaked cover is not the definitive one, but a test design.
It's a great illustration. If that doesn't fly, I'm sure there will be something else equally magnificent.
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
It's too bad that they couldn't use the Professor's own drawing of the same event depicted, but they used that one for the cover of the 20th anniversary Unfinished Tales. I doubt if they would use it for two different books released so closely to each other.
Nazgûl
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5516
posted      Profile for Nazgûl   Author's Homepage   Email Nazgûl   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
wow, although the story of Turin is tragic, its probably one of my favorite tales every written by Tolkien. I personally can't wait for this book to come out.
From: Boston | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'll buy it and read it but I won't enjoy it. It is TOO tragic for me. That is why I prefer many of the other stories of the elder days over that of Túrin. Even though there is sadness and tragedy, there is still joy and hope. Túrin's story is wonderful but painful to read. []
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The whole tale has always confused me a bit. I mean, most of Tolkien's characters seem to be in control, and seem to more or less reap what they sow more often than not. Turin seems to get screwed a lot, often by things entirely beyond his control.

[ 01-19-2007, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Éoric of the Riddermark ]

From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Yeah, It's pretty hard core. The Sunday Times had an article about it called "X Rated Tolkien" or something along those lines. But I still think it's a great story.

Edit: X rated Tolkien

[ 01-19-2007, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The whole tale has always confused me a bit. I mean, most of Tolkien's characters seem to be in control, and seem to more or less reap what they sew more often than not. Turin seems to get screwed a lot, often by things entirely beyond his control.
Perhaps because Túrin gave too much credit to Morgoth's power []
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
From the Sunday Times link:
quote:
The Children of Hurin will tell the story of the family of an elf warrior taken prisoner by Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, held responsible for torturing elves and producing the first orcs, a race of evil goblins.

Hurin, the elf warrior, is given powers by Morgoth to foresee what will happen to his children. “Death you may yet crave from me as a boon,” Morgoth tells him.

Elf warrior? []
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

quote:
Perhaps because Túrin gave too much credit to Morgoth's power
Perhaps. I'll have to re-read the tale when I get home from work. An important question for that hypothesis: Does Turin know about Morgoth's curse? If so, when does he find out, and does it affect his actions from that point until his end?
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Erhm, there are more errors in the Sunday Times article than the one DPR cites; in Dutch we would say the guy has heard the bell ring but couldn't find the clapper.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Children of Hurin (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help