Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 3)
Author Topic: The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that map on the first page of a Google Image search and thought it rather confusing; but maybe that has more to do with me being colour blind! []
One point of interest.........why no Númenorë outlined in brown? []

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that Númenor would be further west - also, brown would make a confusion with Beleriand, while they didn't disappear at the same time.
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

quote:
I guess that Númenor would be further west
I don't think so as it would appear that the Undying Lands are placed on the lefthand side of the map []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I'm confused ...

I mean, the Undying Lands are not on this map - and Númenor was in between them and Middle-earth.

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

So what do you think the brown squiggly line is that's meandering it's way from 50 degrees latitude up to 60 degrees latitude? It sure ain't the US of A []
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
It's Beleriand, isn't it ?
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

[]
God-damn colouration of that map! [] I told you I was colour blind! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Keep the earth under your feet, & clay on your fingers; wisdom in your bones, & have both eyes open!
That's Mr Wang™ to you!
This place would be a paradise tomorrow if every department had a supervisor with a submachine gun.

This bog is thick and easy...

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What's the red island at 15 degrees latitude?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tol Morwen, maybe?

*is probably way off*

So Mordor is in Austria, perhaps?

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That would expain why Sauron's last words before leaving for Numenor were "Ah'll be back".

Yeah, that did suck. Sue me. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
No, Tol Morwen was smaller. It's Tol Fuin, the remaining of Dorthonion (see the first 2A map in Fonstad).
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

If you shifted 3d age ME east a few hundred miles, wouldn't The Shire be England and Tol Fuin, Ireland?
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's Tol Fuin, the remaining of Dorthonion (see the first 2A map in Fonstad).
Excellent point, smarty pants Eurolawyer, but unfortunately I don't take my Fonstad atlas to work. []

Maybe I should start doing so. []

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
coughormaybeyoucanfinditonthewebcough []
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you shifted 3d age ME east a few hundred miles, wouldn't The Shire be England and Tol Fuin, Ireland?
I think the Shire is in England on this map. Look at 0 degrees running through Greenwich. That little red dot is Hobbiton / Oxford, I think. Maybe the little blue dot to the east is Rivendell?
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Probably, I don't see a lake in this area ...
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

OK I've enlarged it and printed it out - you're right, the red dot appears to be Oxford/Hobbiton.

What's the blue dot, now in the English Channel? Bree? Rivendell?

This might make a fun thread topic.

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is his explanation on the map:

http://www.geocities.com/otsoandor/WasM-eE.htm

It appears that Hobbiton = Sarehole, or Birmingham's coordinates.

I'm beginning to think the blue dot is Midgewater. Look at the blue lines and dots. They seem to be water courses and lakes in Middle-earth. Rivendell must be farther to the right, after the Hoarwell and Loudwater.

Here is a 3rd age map to compare:

http://www.douglas.eckhart.btinternet.co.uk/maps-middle-earth-01.jpg

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What's the red island at 15 degrees latitude?
It's supposed to be Tol Fuin, as mentioned, but this detail does not appear on any Tolkien-published maps, nor does the smaller Island near it.

According to Treebeard's chant (at least) Dorthonion lay beneath the waves.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sméagol
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4729
posted      Profile for Sméagol   Author's Homepage   Email Sméagol   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The folks at Tolkien Gateway now feature a pretty comprehensive list of maps (including mine).
Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well hello people, I ain't been here for a while! []
Just to let you know that I've updated the first post and added some maps that I've managed to source []
Of interest there are now links to the original maps drawn by the good professor and his son; I've also moved this section to the top of the maps index where I feel it rightly belongs []
There is also a new interactive map in the ~Interactive Maps and Downloads~ section of the index that uses the Google Earth format []
AND I have managed to find another version of Middle-earth superimposed onto Europe [] This version is in colour and is a replacement for a black and white one whos link stopped working several years ago []
Hope you enjoy the new additions and remember, if you know of any more online sources for maps of JRR Tolkien's works let me know and I'll add them to the index []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

An interactive (well, zoom and pan) map of Middle Earth, with locations in English and Elvish and links to Encyclopedia of Arda entries, is here.
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

Hi WT, long time no see!
Cheers for the map, I'll make sure it's added to the index [] []

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the indexed links are of the great Atlas of Middle Earth by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad. Some of the others are no longer working.

Here is an interesting Interactive map of Middle Earth I stumbled across on a link re-route.

Here is a good world map that someone made based on the KWF maps I believe.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And here that someone is acknowledged. More of the same sort over there, by the way.

[ 10-10-2014, 07:05 PM: Message edited by: Mithrennaith ]

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 3)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help