Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 2)
Author Topic: The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've been a bit slow in updating this thread, sorry []
The lawyers at Tolkein Enterprises have been busy and I've had to remove 41 dead links [] The 'Cities and Towns' section was particularly baddly hit and all of the sketchehes by JRR and CJR are now gone []
Which brings me on to this.
Herendil said in this thread,
quote:
Here is that map (I am not sure if it actually is Christopher Tolkien's). The link should be updated.

I believe this map was drawn by CJR. The style is identical to the map of the Battle of Helms Deep that was definately acredited to CJR that was in the JRR and CJR sketches section. Alas, that map has now gone from the Index []

[ 06-26-2005, 03:05 AM: Message edited by: Dolmed ]

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dolmed! Long time no see!
From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the update. I don't think the lawyers for the estate of Kren Wynn Fonstad will be around for awhile.

Here is a link to some maps you can save. You migh twant to hurry as these are the same that have been removed from other sites.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] They are still there. This site seems to be slipping under the radar somehow.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This map is kind of busy but its pretty good.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Snowdog, unless I'm missing something your link just goes to the main page...
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Ah, so it does. Apparently it can't be direct-linked to.
If you are using frames, the path is:
'Maps' - Carte de la Terre du Milieu - English Version - New Map Version 6 - New Map version 7

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Got it (and saved it... [] ) . It's beautiful!
From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is the link Snöwdog wanted to give, but as he got stuck in the 'Valar Guild' site's frames, his address-bar didn't keep track of the fact that the map is on another site altogether.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Maps Index has been updated and all the links checked to ensure they are all working []

Unfortunately I've had to remove another six links from the Index, I guess the Tolkien Estate lawyers have been busy again []
I suppose the only way to avoid further depletion of the Index is for the remaining maps to be hosted somewhere other than linking to their current sites; any volunteers or ideas how this could be done? []

I have noticed that the Index is starting to be dominated with maps by Karen Wynn Fonstad. Though her maps are very good and contain a wealth of information it would be great if there were more works by other cartographers within the Index; personally I like to see different interpretations []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Thanks for your continued work on this! I love the maps too, but I think there is a concerted effort to keep copyrighted images off the web. Karen's maps are hers and she must retain the rights to them. I'm guessing her lawyers are not actively pursuing them like the Estate's lawyers are.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*delete*

[ 12-11-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: Celebrían ]

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ms. Fonstad, God bless her soul, is deceased also.
Her maps are certainly a great legacy, Thorin.

From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Here is a fun fanfic map of Middle Earth.
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone remember a map of Beleriand "laid over" a map of Europe, and where it could be found?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Deep under the sea ?
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the crew from the fishing boat from the film 'the perfect storm' found it?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know the very map you're on about Mr T; it used to be in the index of this thread but unfortunately Dolly had to scrap the link due to the Tolkien Enterprises solicitors witch hunt a couple of years back wich saw a lot of M-e maps leaving the internet []
From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But how did it look like ? I mean, how could Beleriand cover Europe ?
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elu, the map in question was the classic map of Beleriand drawn by CJRT and over that the map of Europe had been placed. The Ice Bay of Forochel [sp] roughly alined with Norway, if I remember correctly []
There were problems with this map, scale between the two areas being the main one []

[ 05-23-2007, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: Wetwang ]

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
If I remember correctly, Beleriand was actually out in the Atlantic. If you lay the maps together, making sure the Shire was superimposed over England, Beleriand was stuck way out to the west.

But I am going from memory so I could be wrong.

Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
Forochel ? then that's not the map of Beleriand, but the classical one post-1st Age.

E: ok, with the edit I understand now, and I even think I saw this map []

[ 05-23-2007, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
The map I remember was Christopher's from LOTR. But where Beleriand would have been was out in the Atlantic.

Edit: Here's one. Green is Europe's coastline. Red is 3rd age Middle-earth, while Brown is 1st age.
 -

Edit #2: And this would work for the Professor's joke in Letters about Venice being in Gondor!

[ 05-23-2007, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: Thorin ]

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've never seen this map so clearly represented. Not exactly canon, but it sure sparks the imagination. Nice find!
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help