Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 1)
Author Topic: The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As Thorin mentioned in another thread,
quote:
You know, we need a thread somewhere with links to all the maps in it. I've thought about that for a long time. We've got links to maps scattered all over the place, and it would be nice if they were all collected in one spot.
So here's my attempt to complete the task.
I've tried to format a layout that I found to be logical. But as some may doubt my logic any ideas to improve the layout of the index would be appreciated []
If I've missed out any maps from the forums please post the link here and I will add them to the index.
Some of the maps may take a few minutes to download. This is because they may be of a high quality image, large format or both. Please be patient, the wait will be worth it.

-

~Maps by JRR and CJR Tolkien~
The original drawings of JRR Tolkien and his son Christopher.

Beleriand ~ from The Silmarillion
Beleriand ~ the original CJRT map in colour
Middle-earth ~ from LotR
The Shire ~ from LotR
Thror's Map ~ from The Hobbit
Wilderland ~ from The Hobbit

-

~Aman and Middle Earth through the Ages~

~Before the First Age~
Arda ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Starmap ~ second setting of the stars by Varda in Valian year of The Trees 1000 - 1050
Valinor ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad, including some area studies

~The First Age~
Circles of the World before the Change ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
The Coming of Men ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Travels of Beren ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Travels of Turin ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

~The Second Age~
Numenore ~ in German
Voyages of the Numenoreans ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

~The Third Age~
Dwarf Migrations through the Ages ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Hobbit Migrations through the Ages ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Middle Earth ~ by Pauline Baynes in colour, wonderful
Middle-earth superimposed over Europe ~ in colour

~The Fourth Age~
Middle Earth ~ in the nuclear age, fun

-

~Archive of Minas Tirith~

Below are a series of links to maps posted by the citizens of Minas Tirith. Where I can I will add the thread title to the link.

~Single Maps~
Bagend to Mt Doom
Beleriand in colour ~ The Floating Log - Maps?

~Collections of Maps~
Endor, An Analysis ~ by Nimruzir

-

~Area Studies~

Tolkien's creation in closer detail

~Before the First Age~
Cuivienen to Valinor ~ The march of the Elves by Karen Wynn Fonstad

~First Age~
Annon-in-Gelydh ~ The Gate of the Noldor by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Beleriand showing the Elven Kingdoms ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Flight of the Noldor ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Falls of Sirion ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
South Beleriand ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

~Second Age~
Last Alliance, The ~ SA3434 - 3441 by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Northern Kingdoms ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

~Third Age~
Anduin ~ From Lothlorien, through Wetwang and on to Minas Tirith by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Bagend to Rivendell ~ in colour
Bilbo and Frodo's Journies to Rivendell ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Erebor ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Eriador ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Gondor and Rohan ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Long Winter, The ~ TA2758 - 2759 by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Misty Mountains ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
North East Arnor ~ in colour
Some very cool, detailed, hand-drawn maps
Wilderland ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

-

~Battle movements and Troop Deployments~

Attacks by Agmar in the North and the Wainriders in the South ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Battle of Celebrant ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Battle of Five Armies ~ placements of the various armies around Erebor, a sketch by CJR Tolkien
Battle of Five Armies ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Battles during the First Half of the Third Age ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Battles during the Second Half of the Third Age before the War of the Ring ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Before and After the Watchful Peace ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Bilbo and the Dwarves Battle with the Spiders ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Fifth Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Final Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
First Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Fourth Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Second Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Third Battle against Morgoth ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

-

~Cities, Towns, Buildings and Dwellings~

Beorn's Halls ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Goblin Town and Gollum's Lake ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Hobbiton before and after Saruman ~ very interesting.
Isengard ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Lake Town ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Rivendell ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad
Thangorodrim ~ by Karen Wynn Fonstad

-

~Interactive Maps and Downloads~

Arda ~ in black and white showing the Lamps of the Valar
Map of ME ~ Download
Middle-earth ~ this map uses the Google Earth format. Interesting idea though not completed.

[ 07-01-2009, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Dolmed ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Cyprinus in ripa per totum diem.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm about as useful as a mute switch on a smoke alarm.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I'm a Misogynistic Mushroom according to Athene.

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Beautiful! I am, again, deeply in your debt.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

Thought it may put a smile on your face []
I know there are a few I've missed [] One that sticks in my mind is a map of ME in the nuclear age []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lord Mithrandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 978

posted      Profile for Lord Mithrandir   Email Lord Mithrandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Olympia, WA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
yeah dolmed i know the one you speak of, i do think it was in the PP,

wow, this is a great refrence, i think there should be a space in the library for something like this

good job

From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dolmed, I assume you meant this map. You can find it at Tolkienion, or via Tolkienmaps.com ("Collection #1").
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

Cheers Ear, that was the map []
I had already rediscovered it elsewhere. As the index grows I will include it at the appropiate time.
As an update for those interested I have sourced many, many maps but will only be putting up links of the best.
I will include at some point links to other sites where more maps and atlases can be veiwed.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Would you mind changing the links that point to an image in a thread to point to the actual image?

Example: Dorwinion, Location of

It would be more organized if all links pointed to an outside image. If you want to add a list of links that have interesting map discussions, do so but keep it seperate from the images.

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

Changes made Boss []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] []
From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dolmed, I would just like to add my appreciation. This is excellent work.
[]

From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

If you do happen to collect a group of the best links to Middle-earth sites, I'll make a Map category on the Links page and add them there.
Broono
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4123
posted      Profile for Broono   Edit/Delete Post 
I must say a few of your maps are rubbish. However in saying that i found a few of them to be highly useful. Well Done

[ 12-31-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Broono ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The White City. The Capital Of Gondor. The Pride Of Middle-Earth. The City Of MINAS TIRITH

From: Gondor | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luthien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 17
posted      Profile for Luthien   Email Luthien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some of these maps are good!
From: Wanderer of Middle Earth | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

Hello []
The list of links in my opening post has been considerably increased for your enjoyment []
I would like to thank Herendil for pointing me in the right direction to most of links for the new additions, thank you [] I have but only added these into the index where I saw fit.
I have also taken the time to remove or replace any bad links so now there shouldn't be any left [] I will check all of the links on a regular basis or as time allows.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Wetwang
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1508

posted      Profile for Wetwang   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]
It looks like the Tolkien Estate lawyers are busy at the moment and some of the well known ME map sites have had to close down due to copyrights []
Maybe they'll get around it somehow and reopen.

From: West Sussex UK, well on the seafront in Bognor Regis actually! | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed! And some of the best of maps were at those sites too. I've yet to find any of the various maps on Google that those sites had.
From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This site has maps, as does this site.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior of Rohan
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4704
posted      Profile for Warrior of Rohan   Email Warrior of Rohan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of the maps simply say hosted by Tripod and I do not see a map. Is this something I need to join or are these maps no longer available?

Thanks

From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They have been removed one by one as the Tolkien Estate lawyers track people down.... I hate Tripod/Lycos/etc. places as they bombard your computer with spyware and trojans. My Trend Officescan and McAfee are always pinching bugs from Tripod sites.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Karen Wynn Fonstad, one of my favorite Tolkien map maker, has passed away... Rest in Peace.

quote:
Obituary
Karen Wynn Fonstad, (b.1945) died on March 11 of complications from breast cancer. Fonstad was a freelance cartographer, part-time lecturer at The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and an invited speaker for many events. She was the author and illustrator of The Atlas of Middle-earth, The Atlas of Pern, The Atlas of the Land, The Atlas of the Dragonlance World and The Forgotten Realms Atlas. Karen helped develop Eowyn Challenge-Worldwide Walk to Rivendell and Beyond where over 800 people have logged 200,000 miles in the past two years.

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingol,

Thank you for letting us know. I love Karen's maps and all the details that she put into the world of Tolkien. She will live on in the hearts of Tolkien fans around the world.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

Sad news indeed.

Her atlas was always my favorite non-Tolkien Tolkien book. She really helped me visualize his world and only I hope I can leave a body of work as inspiring. Some may have dismissed it at 'merely' fantasy, but her work had a professionalism and a scholarly aura that commanded respect. What else can I say.

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Her atlas was always my favorite non-Tolkien Tolkien book.
Absolutely! As a map freak and a Tolkien freak, her atlas has a favored place on my bookshelf, too... It's so well-thumbed, pretty soon I'll have to replace it!

Her work was an example of high Arda scholarship. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Vëarenen ilnutin nardar."

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roccondil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5125
posted      Profile for Roccondil   Email Roccondil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This is very sad news. Her maps were always as true as she could make them to the information in the source material. I particularly liked the way she re-drew JRRT's early maps in the Ambarkanta, which give the only good impression of the eastern lands and the Orocarni Mountains that I know of.
From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Maps of Middle Earth and Beyond - An Index (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help