profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Atlas of Middle Earth
Author Topic: The Atlas of Middle Earth
Carancoe
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3013
posted      Profile for Carancoe   Author's Homepage   Email Carancoe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Atlas of Middle Earth, and I found it very enlightening.

It's amazing to just look at.. especially the Shire, and look at all the small towns and villages and family names, and it really hits you just how deep the world of Tolkien was.

So, does anybody else have it? What do YOU think? Eh?

From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I ahve the journeys of Frodo and a Middle Earth Fold up map. I havent heard of this Atlas tho.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carancoe
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3013
posted      Profile for Carancoe   Author's Homepage   Email Carancoe   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
mm hmm. Well, the first time I ever heard of it was a long time ago when I was in a bookstore and I saw it.

That was before I was a tolkien fan. But this has every single detail in the book mapped out to the centimetre. They have everything from the Sil and revised maps after the publishing of the History of Middle Earth. You should have a look at it some day.

Its by Karen Wynn-Fonstad

From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tensen_Vil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 65

posted      Profile for Tensen_Vil   Author's Homepage   Email Tensen_Vil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
IAHve it, and I find it a indespensible resource when reading the SIlmarillion.

It's just a great resource.

I also have her Atlas of Pern and it's great too.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"'Kill!' shouted Ford. He shouted it at his towel.
The towel lept up out of Harl's hands.
This was not because it had any motive force of its own, but because Harl was so startled at the idea that it might."
--Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

From: Pueblo, Co. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't used the Atlas for much practical use, preferring to imagine it all in my head, but it is extremely interesting just to flip through. The work that Karen Wynn-Fonstad put into it is incredible, it's really enjoyable to pick up and read every now and then. I highly recommend it []
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Imrahil of Dol Amroth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2866

posted      Profile for Imrahil of Dol Amroth   Author's Homepage   Email Imrahil of Dol Amroth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have it and it is a wonderful book. Both for reference and just reading about to learn , or refreshing your memory of, Middle Earth.

[ 01-05-2003, 08:29 PM: Message edited by: Imrahil of Dol Amroth ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
El ha caido en Sombre.

Buffy: What are you doing here, Spike? Five words or less.
Spike: Out- for- a- walk- bitch.

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eudaimiel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3077
posted      Profile for Eudaimiel   Author's Homepage   Email Eudaimiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great asset for when I'm reading, and the amount of research it must've taken is just amazing.
From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you want some maps for the very early stories in HoME then youll find HoME 3 invaluable.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Don't trust the Atlas too much, people. []

Please read this thread: Where is Numenor???

[ 01-15-2003, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Maerbenn ]

Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Thomas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2565

posted      Profile for Sir Thomas   Email Sir Thomas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Where did you get this atlas? I should like to do the same.
From: I don't live here, I am just an ambassador | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eudaimiel
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3077
posted      Profile for Eudaimiel   Author's Homepage   Email Eudaimiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I got it off of Amazon.co.uk.
From: Dundee, Scotland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mormegil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2296

posted      Profile for Mormegil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
As Maerbenn said, don't trust it too much. The author seems to have done a very good job for the most part. Nimruzir, Isildur, and I were discussing it MT chat and found several mistakes; here are some examples:

Caras Galadon is supposed to be spelled Caras Galadhon, and the same with Galadrim/Galadhrim and Maedhras/Maedros.

The worst has to be in The First Age, section Beleriand, paragraph two:

quote:
In about the same area Turgon climbed the cliffwall of the gorge of Teiglin to kill Glauring
Túrin climbed the cliffwall of Cabed-en-Aras to kill Glaurung.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from it, but just be aware that not everything is correct.

From: Nargothrond | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just found out this sad news about Karen Wynn Fonstad.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pippin Toker
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 168
posted      Profile for Pippin Toker   Author's Homepage   Email Pippin Toker   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

All books about Tolkiens world will have mistakes or things, that can be interpreted in a different way. Arda is very complex and Tolkien didn't specify every ting.

I really like Karan Wynn Fonstads atlasses. There is also one about Stephen Donnaldsons "The Land", The Dragonlance World, The World of The forgotten realms and Anne McAffreys "Pern".

Pippin

From: Denmark | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anarion of the Faithful
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4639
posted      Profile for Anarion of the Faithful   Email Anarion of the Faithful   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hello, i also have it . actually i have one & my sister has one. she got one in england on a trip. but the other(mine) was from our barnse&noble.i think u might be able to find it there sometimes. depending on what they have in stock. or many bookstores that have large amounts of tolkien. i thouroughly enjoy the atlas when im reading and studying tolkiens works. of course as any work it has its mistakes but i find it an invaluable resource as long as u take account to the actual text also.
From: God's Hand | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruantalon
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2899
posted      Profile for Eruantalon   Email Eruantalon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Of couse any Tolkien atlas will have this one discrepency: no Entwife migration information.
From: Central Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of couse any Tolkien atlas will have this one discrepency: no Entwife migration information.
If Tolkien knew that we could tell the ents!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
- Bilbo Baggins

"These Lord of the Rings movies must be taken deep into Mordor and cast back into the fiery chasm from whence they came."

Middle Earth Angling Guide

Artwork by Jonathon Earl Bowser

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Over in the Password Game we were discussing a clue from Fonstad's Atlas.

Celebrían -
quote:
Here is the quote from Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-Earth, page 184, that I used for the puzzle and her Tolkien references:

quote:Thorny thickets replaced the pine-woods north of Dorthonion after the Battle of Sudden Flame. The lands of Hollin and southern Dunland, once green and fair, became wasteland when Sauron destroyed Ost-en-Edhil and Saruman turned to evil.

S151,207. S288, FR295,299; RK261,263 (Houghton Mifflin editions)

What does Fonstad mean here?
How many events is she talking about, and are they related in any other way than all being hurtful to the vegetation?

Mithrennaith -
quote:
The context in Fonstad is a general map of Vegetation, in three parts: First Age Beleriand, Second Age Númenor and Third Age NW Middle-earth.

The maps are accompanied by a discussion, organised not on the lines of Age or area, but on the line of types of vegetations. Under Grasslands and Wastelands, specifically dealing with the latter, wastelands caused by the evil influence of Morgoth or Sauron are listed, and a number of examples are adduced, of which these two sentences are merely the first three examples.

And that is simply what they are doing together here; no link is implied by Fonstad, no cross-age causality, and in the references listed in the endnotes no grounds for link or cross-age causality can be found.

Celebrían -
quote:
I suspect Fonstad overlaid her maps. Her interpretations make for good discussion. I used the revised version. For instance, did Dunland become brown because of the building of Isengard, or because of the Fourth Battle, or both?
The way I see it, the Fourth Battle would be too far away from Dunland to be able to affect it. So it would be because of Isengard. But to me it still looks confusing - especially since I don't have access to the books, and only have your quotes to go by.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think been turned brown by Saruman in the later part of the third age seems more likely!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Souron did overrun Eregion starting in 1695 of the 2nd age, and in 1697 Celebrimbor was slain when the city of Ost-in-Edhil was sacked. By 1699 of the 2nd age his forces held sway over Eriador. It wasn't until Tar Minastir arrived with mighty Numenorean armies that the tide was turned. But surely it was long enough to lay ruin upon the lands of Enedwaith & Dunland I would think.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Atlas of Middle Earth
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help