Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Legendarium Project (Page 7)
Author Topic: The Legendarium Project
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Isildur read my reply and post here would you?
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question about the project:

How do you decide what's "cannonical" when there is contradiction from one text to another???
For example, for the Fall of Gondolin, there's at least 3 versions of the part about Tuor's coming to Gondolin. Which one is "right" or "cannonical"???

And, moreover, the most detailled version of FoG (from HoME II) contains lots of references that are in total contradiction with all other works. To make that to fit in it's not mere "cut and paste" but rather a total rewritting which is necessary!!!

[ 01-04-2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Nash Balrog ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] I've finally fulfilled my own project... []

I've gathered every Tolkien writings in E-text form, and made several versions out of them to be able to seach info more quickly...

My 'Tolkien Electronic Archive' is made of The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Unfinished Tales, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, The Road Goes Ever On, all the History of Middle-Earth volumes and Letters. Did I forget something?

I now have a huge text made of all these books to be able to 'automatically' search for an info in the whole thing.
I also have lots of small texts, each of them corresponding to a single chapter, to be able to search a specific chapter to find a quote or some other info...Plus the text in their original forms...

Took me quite a lot of time (about a week of 8 hours a day work) just to do this but it has already proved useful...

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nash, Maerbenn (I think this is correct) is taking the most "recently" written work and using it as fact, and adding in all the earlier stuff that does not contradict the latest text.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Maerbeen and Isildur,

I know you gotten yourselves under loads of paperwork but, if while going thru the material for The Legendarium you stumble upon anything about Easterlings, other Eastern folks, Eastern geography, history, creatures, or whatever, would you please quote and post it into my thread?? (see my sig for a link) Thanx

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maerbenn,

Could you lend Quendil your ears and possibly come up with a solution for his problem. We can talk about this more off the public domain.

Thanks
Lug

[ 01-11-2003, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'm very often in the chat room, perhaps we can talk about this in there.
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

It's with regards to him posting the HOME texts here. According to him, it is not an issue according to German law, but in the US he is, I believe, liable for prosecution.

I remember we had similar concerns when this project started off and I was wondering if you'd come up with a smart solution. []

Happy new year, by the way. May your project find growing success in the coming year.

Cheers []

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OF COURSE it is an issue according to German law!!

...but that doesn't mean i can't post it there. []

From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Hello again, anything else that I can do to help? []
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have now finished the first stage of editing A Long Expected Party. The question is: Can I put it on the web?

[ 01-15-2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: Isildur of Númenórë ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Can - ability
May - enquiry
Would - speculation
Might - enquiring speculation
Could - permission
Should - good question.

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

The 'safest' way to post something that bears a copyright issue and avoid troubles is the following:

- create an email account somewhere on the web where they do not verify the info you give (yahoo mail for example).

- Then go to Geocities, create an account using that adress and upload the text there using names that do not tell what they are (l1o2t3r4.zip for LotR for example).

[] the most important point of all is that you must not use any word directly linked to Tolkien's work when you create the accounts to make sure that most research engines won't find it [] call yourself txoxlxkxixexn for example

- If yo really want to be sure that search engine that scan the contents of the pages don't find it, put only the links to the files using the same kind of typing policy (for example: "click here to download the zip file of L~O~T~R")

Then only give the adress directly to people via PM or Email...

That way you can be sure the only risk you are taking is that they (CT's lawyers) accidently stumble on the site and close it... If they even ever find it! If you use all the tricks I just gave you that shouldn't happen... []

EDIT: spelling

[ 01-16-2003, 04:05 AM: Message edited by: Nash Balrog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown. - H.P. Lovecraft

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Or you could just send the file individually over email to people who want it, ie me [] , but as Nash said give it an unrelated name.
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Andúril,

I think that if Isildur posted that question it's because he knew there will be lots of demand for the edited text... Thus wanted to make them easily available for download to all of us []

That's why I gave my 'machiavelic scheme' to make the download pages as untracable as possible []

EDIT: spelling (seems that my keypad's in trouble)

[ 01-16-2003, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: Nash Balrog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Lugbúrz: I posted that at 2:10 am in a rush just for letting interested people know. I knew it wasn't perfect English but I didn't think anyone would be that nitpicky. []

I know the problem with search engines. But I think the easier way is to put it on the web, because I might make changes to the file and though I can of course use an e-mail list, it will be cumbersome to send the file once again to everyone. And the set of people who are interested may change and so on.

But we have a lot of other texts that we could make available, especially Maerbenn, but I don't know his opinion about that. Now that I right from the start make the edited LotR texts available, it is easy for you to follow the editing process.

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Isildur you have more than the QS 1? i got that a few months ago now, Im sure its a litle out of date now tho.
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

Andúri1, I have tried to e-mail you but your address doesn't seem to work anymore.
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

I know, thats really weird. I have been missing a lot of emails recently. But I got one from WetWang only this morning, so some of them are getting through. What error messages are you getting?
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

quote:
The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'aragornheirofisildur@hotmail.com'.
If you activate your PM I can contact you that way instead. []

[ 01-19-2003, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: Isildur of Númenórë ]

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Strange, dunno what thats all about. How big is the file you are sending me?

Also, with EXTREME reluctance I enable you to PM me, how do i check these btw?

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

I am not trying to send you any file.

You can check your PMs in your profile.

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Why are you 'PM reluctant' Andúril??? []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Cos I know ill forget to check them all the time... []
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

you know, there's a 'notice me via Email when s.o. PMs me' option in the profile! []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Legendarium Project (Page 7)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help