search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Tolkien Companion
Author Topic: The Tolkien Companion
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time in quite a while, I read the Preface in my Tolkien Companion. To my suprise, the author expresses some rather odd views as to how Tolkien came about writing LOTR. Here is an example:
"The Hobbit appeared in 1937 and was a runaway success, as these events are termed in the publishing world. Yet no one (beyond a small coterie of academics at Oxford) was then aware that it contained translated historical narrative, as opposed to inventive children's Fairy Tale fiction in the Andrew Lang tradition. For, reluctant to reveal his true role as Translator, Tolkien had instead tacitly assumed the pose of 'Author' and did not abandon this until the publication of the sequel to The Hobbit in 1954, seventeen years later. But in the Prologue to The Lord of the Rings, as the sequel is known, he made it abundantly clear that the entire work consisted chiefly of translated narrative from the pen of Frodo Baggins, with some amendments by contemporarty sources and additions by later hands. The Lord of the Rings was then revealed as a historical document of immense significance and incomparable ancientry."

I thought this was quite, erm, interesting to say the least. I have to ask, Is this guy joking? I can't imagine someone actually being serious, it's so ridiculous! Can anyone explain how someone could come to such an extremist conclusion?

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The author does not really think that the text is actual historic reference. It is like H.G. Wells writing as if he is actually documenting events as they happened, or Edgar Rice Burroughs writing as if he really found someones journal recounting some of their fantastic adventures in exotic locales and is just presenting the information to the reading audience.
It is easy to understand how the way in which the prologue is written would make one believe that the writer is serious, though, given the tone of some of the posts on various M-e related message boards.
[] []

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

Ah, I see!
Thanks for clearing that up, gram.
*gives gram a big hug* []

From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gram, you're quite incorrect. I've seen pictures of the original texts Tolkien translated. They are believed to be written by Frodo and Sam themselves or to be copies of the originals made by close relatives in the half century after their departures to the West.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

Wait, now I'm confused again...

Earendilyon: How do you know those documents weren't faked? Or were you just joking?

Oooh, my head [] []

gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
theWhiteLady, see what I mean? []
It is difficult to tell. Joking or serious? You have to make the call yourself, and some take it much to far. []

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Earendilyon,

Those pictures do not tell half the story. The originals were found cut and folded and used as spine padding for later manuscripts, particularly in the age of the illuminated manuscripts when paper was still scarce.

*curtsies*
Bethberry

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

Bethberry, I do believe your trying to mess with my already hurting head.

[]

[ 05-06-2002, 03:43 PM: Message edited by: theWhiteLady ]

Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You're quite correct, Bethberry. I just didn't want to complicate things too much.
From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*curtsies humbly*

*offers ipubrophen or ASA for TheWhiteLady*

*thanks Earendilyon for his discretion.*

Working with ancient manuscripts and old wordhoards can become quite, um, labyrinthine.

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galion The Tipsy Butler
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1152

posted      Profile for Galion The Tipsy Butler   Email Galion The Tipsy Butler   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

quote:
But they were all of them deceived...
Look here, all ye doubtful... Middle-earth was REAL! Just as the lunar landings were faked and professional wrestling is completely authentic. C'mon folks, it's as plain as the nose on the face of the Sphinx (which we ALL know was put there by aliens. [] )

And some things that should not have been forgotten were lost. History became legend. Legend became myth.

From: The Castle ...Aaaaaarrrrrg! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Galion, I think that I detect a note of sarcasm in your last post. You put the view that professional wrestling is authentic, which is obviously wrong (Beorn's descendants would mean that there was no competition) alongside the view that the moon landings were faked, which must be true because the pictures would have shown Tilion if they really went there.

I object to your associating such evident truths with total ludicrosities, and would ask that you withdraw the statement forthwith.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Drug-trade!! From the wrong border too.

I believe Ibuprofen is the pain reliever. What may I ask is Ipubrofen?

You can never trust anything that you are given these days. []

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

*gladly accepts ASA from Bethberry*

Very kind of you, my lady. My head thanks you []

Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

*sighs*

"Ipubrofen" is the name given in desperation when the word is not yet in my dictionaries and a jar of it does not stand in my medicine cabinet and I cannot remember exactly what the blasted word is.

ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibuprofen
ibropufen
ibrufupen
ibenfupen
ifenpuben
ifupenben []

*decides to use 'Tylenol' next time*

[ 05-07-2002, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

Galion The Tipsy Butler
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1152

posted      Profile for Galion The Tipsy Butler   Email Galion The Tipsy Butler   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[]

I find that a vodka and tonic is much more effective and easy to spell. *hic*

And Laurenendôrian:

I simply cannot retract my statement. The Beornings aren't wrestling. They have shied away from civilization, and are responsible for all of those Bigfoot sightings. All except for one.

And Janet Reno is too busy running for governor of Florida to wrestle. []

*rim shot*

[ 05-08-2002, 05:29 AM: Message edited by: Galion The Tipsy Butler ]

From: The Castle ...Aaaaaarrrrrg! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Bethberry: It's lucky you do not enter the Word Game in the LOTR section. We would never have a chance against your superior skills. []
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ibuprofen was concocted in the underground labs of Orthanc to destroy the livers of women all over Middle Earth. Chewing fresh Athelas leaves works much better, and is all natural....
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » The Tolkien Companion
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help