profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Family trees
Author Topic: Family trees
Norlinte
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1914
posted      Profile for Norlinte   Email Norlinte   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know where i can find a site with family trees of middle earth? I've found a few but none of them have the line of the stewards of gondor which is what i'm particularly interested in. Help!!
From: Tucson | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angathas
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1319
posted      Profile for Angathas   Author's Homepage   Email Angathas   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You don't need a site. Just pick up a copy of Robert Foster's "Guide to ME". It should include all the geneologies in LOTR and Silm.
From: Staten Island, New York 10306 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here ya go:

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested, I can provide GEDcom files. (If you know what one of those is, you're a genealogist!)
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
fingi,,,i love you, thanks
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very NICE diagram, Fingolfin!

Marcho, I'm no genealogist, but I wanna know what you are talking about []

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1661

posted      Profile for Quendil   Email Quendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow Fingolfin, that's cool! Where did you get it?
From: Japan | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I originally got it here:

here is the original url:

http://www.pathcom.com/~aule/files/treebw.jpg

and posted teh pic here:

http://www.minastirith.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=16;t=000012;p=1

alas the site is now gone but luckily I had it on my harddrive so to post it here i had to host it:)

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Nuinamarthion, and any others interested,

GEDcom is a standard that most (all good) genealogy programs meet. It is a standard way of setting up the database that stores the data itself so that the info can be transferred from one program to another and has the same field names. If you have a program, you should be able to read a file saved in that format.

I use Family Tree Maker, and it will create and export a GEDcom file that can be read by some one using some other program, or a GEDcom reader. I actually have a program that will take the GEDcom and port it to my PalmPilot!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds convenient. Is the program free? where can I get one?

I also use a Palm V []

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i write stuff down on postit notes and stick them to my computer screen.....

BUT i second the question is there a way to get a free gedcom viewer? the gedcom equivelant of acrobat as opposed to photshop

but we all know if you look hard photoshop is free =)

From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

Yes, there are freeware/shareware versions of GEDcom viewers. I think Uncle GED is one that I seem to remember.

GEDStar, which is what I use on my Palm, is a shareware program that I registered. It really is convenient to have when I'm doing research, or someone wants to know when Great Grandma died as they are trying to re-count some story.

Earteery-Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1850

posted      Profile for Earteery-Wizard   Email Earteery-Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
amazing!!! []
[]
[]

-EW

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Ash nazg durbatulûk,
ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatulûk,
agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

From: The Council of the white Flame | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nimruzir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 248

posted      Profile for Nimruzir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If anyone is interested, I can provide GEDcom files.
I'm intrigued.

1. How detailed is the information displayed?
2. Are to results adaptable to other formats of presentation (word, txt, pdf etc)?
3. How would you provide the files?
4. Are they the freeware version or not?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"The prime motive [of LotR] was the desire of a tale-teller to try his hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them or deeply move them. As a guide I had only my own feelings for what is appealing or moving, and for many the guide was inevitably often at fault."

J.R.R. Tolkien - Prologue to The Lord of the Rings.

From: Den of Iniquity | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Edit : sorry, the link doesn't work right now []

[ 01-02-2007, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: Eluchil ]

From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an ongoing Middle Earth family tree project: Lord of the Rings Project. 646 entries so far.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like Fingolfin's original has disappeared.

The Thain's Book has a fairly good listing of the Line of Stewards, as well as a Tree for Denethor.

[ 10-10-2014, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Family trees
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help