Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Tolkien Art (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tolkien Art
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a very nice website I found, from which I made my avatar. It has all the pictures by JRRT himself!

Here it is:
Pictures by J. R. R. Tolkien

This thread has been shifted to this forum, thanks to WGW and will hopefully gather more websites related to Tolkien Art by many many artists apart from himself

[ 03-12-2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Lugbúrz ]

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galion The Tipsy Butler
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1152

posted      Profile for Galion The Tipsy Butler   Email Galion The Tipsy Butler   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good post!
From: The Castle ...Aaaaaarrrrrg! | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Deraj the Plaid
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1351

posted      Profile for Deraj the Plaid   Email Deraj the Plaid   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, an excellent post! I just LOVE Tolkien's illustrations!
From: Del-Mar-Va | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandolyn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1696

posted      Profile for Gandolyn   Email Gandolyn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What a find!! Thanks for posting this site. []
From: USA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
posted      Profile for Gilmy   Email Gilmy   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
very nice! i have a book called J.R.R. Tolkien, Writer and Illustrator . it has a bunch of his own drawings, which i find very nice
From: The Lonely Mountain | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
there are pictures bt JRRT in Rolozo Tolkien too.
From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maikatellumaiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1301

posted      Profile for Maikatellumaiel   Author's Homepage   Email Maikatellumaiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ohhhhh, pretty!
From: Over there looking at a thing in a bag. | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Far more extensive Telp []

Are all those also by Tolkien himself? They should make a scarpbook of these and sell it. It will be great to have these in print. No of anything like that?

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I read that Pricilla (his daughter. I probably spelt it wrong) made something like that, but it is out of print....
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Neytari: I don't think anyone can beat my typing mistakes [] Do you remember the name of the book so that we can search online for it? Thanks []
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I dont, sorry. It was something like Tolkien albums. I think it had his paintings and some photos. Try searching under her name (not gonna even attempt to spell it again.
From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Keona
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1518

posted      Profile for Princess Keona   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I found a book at a book store that had all the illustrations in there. It was so cool!! I was flipping through the pages, and examinig the drawings for nearly half an hour... There were many variations of the "Moria Gate" and how it came to its final version. It was super cool.
-Keo

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the species.

A sacrifice a day keeps Jesus away!

...the Mace of Keo shall strike down the nefarious Suitors of Iniquity!!! ~ Müs

From: Rivendell | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien Family Album

Nice website []

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earteery-Wizard
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1850

posted      Profile for Earteery-Wizard   Email Earteery-Wizard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Princess Keona: did ua buy it??? if u did scan it in and tell us the link u put it on :-) thanx
From: The Council of the white Flame | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I renamed the thread, so now all of us can post links to pages with art related to Tolkien. Hopefully we can critique and discuss it too.

Thanks for the great sites. []

Roll of Honor Belegurth
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1534

posted      Profile for Belegurth   Email Belegurth   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think we can see where PJ takes his inspiration from... one of many examples!

From: the void | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There is a book called J.R.R. Tolkien Artist & Illustrator by Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull that has lots of illustrations that he did. They range from sketches that he did of some of the places he lived to illustrations for the many stories he wrote and dust jackets and book covers for LotR. There is also a bunch of the heraldry stuff he did for many of the characters in his works and just some doodles that he did. []
The ISBN is 0-618-08361-8
[] []

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galenfalma
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1846
posted      Profile for Galenfalma   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! These are nice. I've been looking around on the web for sites like that, but with no success. Thank you!
Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Should we move this to the Reference Material section and try to make the list comprehensive?

Please let me know...

Light of Eärendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1824

posted      Profile for Light of Eärendil   Email Light of Eärendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some neat-o pics!!! Thanks for the link Lugbúrz! Oh- and ya, that might be a good idea to put it under Reference Materials... but that is just me!
This has nothing to do with Tolkien art, but how did you use a special character in your screen name? I can't find where to do that (I'm a little new). Just wonderin, thanks!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"May it be a light to you in dark places when all other lights go out"

Howard Shore is my hero!!!

From: Caras Galadon (or Oklahoma) | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some pics at Lúthien's Tolkien Page cannot be found on Rolozo.
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

How about some more artwork links!

Maybe I should ask Tensen_Vil to post his(her?) website. It was very nice.

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I posted this link in the "Other Tolkien Productions" forum: http://www.studio54.co.uk/lotr.html
From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
lug,

I think you should ask Orofacion of the Vanyar if he is interested in providing an artistic analysis of some of Tolkien's art or of just one of the drawings. Other Citizens might have the kind of artistic knowledge to do this, too, but I don't directly know of any.

Bethberry

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

BB:

That is a very interesting line of thought. Critcal analysis of Tolkien related artwork...

We shall request Orof to join us here but we are all welcome to provide feedback and likes and dislikes. After all art appreciation is important to one and all.

Thanks!

[] Lugz []

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Tolkien Art (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help