Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Tolkien-Inspired Puns of Middle Earth (Page 1)
Author Topic: Tolkien-Inspired Puns of Middle Earth
Gandalf the Grey
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1090

posted      Profile for Gandalf the Grey   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few of my own devising to get you all started:

A hockey player who wields his stick as if it were a sword might feel most at home in Middle Earth place in "Ice-En-Garde,"

And of course we all know that the reason why the Enemy's cut down so many trees in the East is to make "More door."

Try this folks, it's a "Bree-ze!"

Gandalf the Grey

[ 02-01-2002, 07:34 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the Grey ]

Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Why Gandalf. You're no 'shy-er' than me of making puns.

I wonder how many of us Khand?

Or maybe this Ent-going to-Wash?

I would hope one wouldn't have a leaky boat on the River Poros.

Firien Wood be the natural state of some.

[ 02-01-2002, 10:25 PM: Message edited by: Bethberry ]

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TM
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1323
posted      Profile for TM   Edit/Delete Post 
Umm...what are you people Tolkien about?
Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The three kings are making their way to Bethlehem, when one realises that he has left his gift behind:
Can I borrow-myrrh?

Or how about palindromes?

Ta, Frodo of food or fat.

To make even a modicum of sense of this next one, it should be understood that 'Gimli' is someone, perhaps on a messageboard such as this, asking about what he should read next.
Tier on, Gimli? 'Silm'? Ignore it.

Not very good perhaps, but to the point - palindromes are possible. I hope my attempts will inspire others to better them.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Bethberry
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1217

posted      Profile for Bethberry   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
At summer camp, we ate S'mores and then we et e'n more. (Ettenmoor)

Then there's the Frenchman who, arriving late to the buffet, sobs, "Lo! Rien."

And of course, we all know how the Easterlings met their "Rhûn."

Laurenendôrien, you have raised the bar! I will work on a palindrome for you, but I can promise little. I've never written one before.

From: the Bonfire Glade in the Old Forest | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greatly do I look forward to reading it.

I have had no previous experience, either, which is probably why mine make so little sense.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Playing with the use-mention distinction" isn't "everything in life, you know."

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tace
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1578
posted      Profile for tace   Author's Homepage   Email tace   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*coughs* middle-earth to message board...
From: australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What's Morgoth favorite classic movie?

Grond Illusion of course! []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marille
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1557
posted      Profile for Marille   Edit/Delete Post 
Why did they make a LotR movie?

The fans were Baggins for it []

LOL, I don't know

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Gandalf- "Enough! I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!"

From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If a fat dwarf put on the One Ring would he be a Stealth Bombur?
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Thingol's favorite Elvis song Return to Sindar
Nienna
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1788
posted      Profile for Nienna   Author's Homepage   Email Nienna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
you ppl are good at this. im cracking up so much.

where's the pie?
on the sill, maril.

o well, its not a very good one

From: california | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

-

(Dragon bump.)

Lets hear some more M.E. puns. The cornier the better !

Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
*comes Rohan in, dragon two bad puns
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

O! Gondor (Arod no go)
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

posted      Profile for Gna   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ Stealth Bombur and Return to Sindar!

Bilbo was lucky not to encounter the trolls while they were dining on leg o' lass.

The boys don't understand-it's a grrl thang .

I saw a great white shark circling, but where has its fin gone?

I always buy my paints at Tint Alley.

After the Teleri-Tubby craze died down, all the toddlers begged for Tickle-Me-Ulmo.

[]

The Laurenendôrian - Regarding palindromes, have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver?

From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Nope. Should I have done so?
Kjartan Fløgelfrikk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3302
posted      Profile for Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   Author's Homepage   Email Kjartan Fløgelfrikk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tickle-me-Ulmo!
From: Sector ZZ plural Z alpha | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

It was merely a question-I would never presume to tell someone what they should or should not do (especially in the context of a rather touchy-atmosphered message board). One of the characters in The Poisonwood Bible is gifted at constructing palindromes and possesses a great intellect; her physical disability conceals her inner brilliance. That's all, just an example of palindromes in literature.
From: Andustar | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I was inspired. And really bored.

-

[]

[ 08-22-2003, 11:59 PM: Message edited by: Gandalf the White ]

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Anariel Aureva
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3741

posted      Profile for Anariel Aureva   Author's Homepage   Email Anariel Aureva   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] []
From: Laurëanórë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gna
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3830

[] Your "Tickle Me Ulmo" is brilliant, Gandalf the White ! Though he looks as though he would use that trident to stab anyone foolish enough to try to tickle him... []

More bad M-e puns [] ;

That thin gull must not have learned to forage in the garbage dumps of Doriath.

When the Italian tourist saw the beautiful spirit that haunted the mansion, he exclaimed "Atsa bella ghost!"

I still have the Tank Plus, Frogger, and Asteroid cartridges for my old Avari 2600 video game system. (Sometimes it is unwilling to work, however).

Edit: You know, I've changed my mind about an avatar-I think I'd like Tickle Me Ulmo.

[ 08-24-2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: Gna ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

[]

I'll give you Tuor three reasons why I'll be Túrin through Europe this summer. []

[ 08-24-2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Wandering Tuor ]

Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Am I the only one who calls Ian McCellen Gandalf the Gay?
From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

Don't get all touchy Fili on me ! []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Tolkien-Inspired Puns of Middle Earth (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help