Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Complete text of LOTR on-line (Page 2)
Author Topic: Complete text of LOTR on-line
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
none of those links worked for me

------------------
~Beth
Fool of a Took

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OMG, you're right he must have been forced to remove the text.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I realize this is old, but Fingo, is there not a place online where resides the full LotR e-text? If anybody knows, a link here would be enormously appreciated.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
gram had long ago posted a link to the entire works of Tolkien in e-form. If you can't find it, send me a note. I believe it is in this forum itself.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gandalf Greyhame
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 747

posted      Profile for Gandalf Greyhame   Author's Homepage   Email Gandalf Greyhame   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have had all the LOTR books on my computer for a long time in WORD format. This includes all the drawings (such as the door of Moria), as well as the Hobbbit, the Sil, and the Appendixes. I am not sure about their adherence to the original text, but I have not read the whole books on the computer. I can only assume they have no errors, but I am not sure. They are very handy for searching for a specific quote.

Not to mention each file is like 3 or 4 meg...

[ 10-30-2002, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Gandalf Greyhame ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
-Louis
Sciéntia potéstas est.

From: Minas Illinois | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Try the reference material thread.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That's the one! Click on gram's link there and you have access to all the word files.
From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am struggling while working on learning German. Wondered if anyone had a link to a German version of LotRs or the Hobbit online. It would be great to practice on something I'm really interested in!
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nessime Lisen
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3903

posted      Profile for Nessime Lisen   Author's Homepage   Email Nessime Lisen   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone is interested I have the complete LOTR (sadly, no appendices) and Hobbit on one PDF file. It includes book covers, geneologies and many many maps. There are several very good maps of Beleriand (not sure why they were included with LOTR and Hobbit, but I'm not complaining). There are some formatting errors (enter being pushed at the wrong moment) and a weird error: Anywhere the name of Luthien/Tinuviel appears the u is replaced by the copyright thingy. If anyone is interested in it, flawed as it is (but still pretty good) just pm me and I'll email it to you. []

Sorry it's not in German, Marcho []

[ 09-10-2003, 01:39 AM: Message edited by: Nessime ]

From: North of the 45th Paralell | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just to update and bump the thread, as well as insure that everyone has full access to things they may not be able to afford.

Note - The materials accessed are copyrighted. Use at your own risk.

The Complete Tolkien Library

The files are password protected. Just remember who wrote them.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tar-Aldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5396
posted      Profile for Tar-Aldarion   Author's Homepage   Email Tar-Aldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Jipii!!!
this is nice!

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
For the less even as for the greater there is some deed that he may accomplish but once only; and in that deed his heart shall rest.

— Fëanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

From: Bodø, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I get "Can not load Word for Windows 6.0 files".

[]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps OpenOffice is less particular about program versions than Microsoft Office?
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thingy, try opening the file in Word directly, instead of WordPad...

e: I've made PDFs of: LOTR, UT, Sil, Hobbit, Etymologies, and Letters if anyone wants them. (I plan on making PDFs for HoME vols 10-12, but haven't gotten around to it yet.) Just send me a PM.

[ 04-23-2006, 02:12 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thingy, try opening the file in Word directly, instead of WordPad...

And how does one do that? You mean click on open instead of save? I tried that...

I'm not the most computer literate person. []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hyarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3029
posted      Profile for Hyarion   Author's Homepage   Email Hyarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Right click. Open with. Click MS Word.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Tolkien IRC Chat #MinasTirith
Tolkien Encyclopedia
Tolkien News

From: Bakersfield, California | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

posted      Profile for Silmahtar   Author's Homepage   Email Silmahtar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Launch Word. Then open the file within the application.

File > Open

Or [CTRL+O], or click that open folder icon in the toolbar.

[] When you get a directory window, you may have to use the "Files of type" pulldown menu (at the bottom of the window) to show "All files".

e: You can also use the right-click option Hyarion mentioned. If you're on say a Mac and don't have a right click mouse button, you should be able to hold down the button and the equivalent of a right-click menu will appear.

[ 04-23-2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

From: Vinya-Tárilos | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Well... Hyarion's way doesn't work. I right click on the link(for example: The Hobbit) and I don't get any "open with"... I just get the options "open" or "open in a new window".

I'll try your way later Mak- if I understand it correctly.

Roll of Honor Silmahtar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4806

I believe Hyarion was referring to opening it after you already saved it to your computer, not on the hyperlink...

[ 04-23-2006, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Silmahtar ]

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Ah... well that kind of works. It opens, but it is all in gibberish:

quote:
ºŽi»/Ö¾†R×å'{Eî.„l.kTeƒ·ž£ðœSùí‡ ¶ëBµ¿¦™Þu!
g+š™¸™ 

Then again... I don't have MSWord, I tried opening it with Word Pad.

[ 04-23-2006, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
WordPad probably can't read it. Have you considered trying OpenOffice? It's free []

[ 04-23-2006, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Varnafindë ]

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Halion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2140
posted      Profile for Halion   Email Halion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This might also work: Word Viewer 2003
Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

Finally! Thanks Halion! []

And thanks to everyone else for your patience and help...

Tar-Aldarion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5396
posted      Profile for Tar-Aldarion   Author's Homepage   Email Tar-Aldarion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just to update and bump the thread, as well as insure that everyone has full access to things they may not be able to afford.

Note - The materials accessed are copyrighted. Use at your own risk.

The Complete Tolkien Library

The files are password protected. Just remember who wrote them.

I must be stupid.
What is the username and password? I know i have used this site before.
Any other sites like this?

From: Bodø, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Complete text of LOTR on-line (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help