profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Unfinished Tales
Author Topic: Unfinished Tales
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hard to rate how much I love this book, but I'd have to say it's far above The Hobbit but still below the Silmarillion.

Narn I Hîn Húrin is fantastic. Aldarion and Erendis is superb. Cirion and Eorl is wonderful. Can't really say enough good things about it.

What's the general opinion out there?

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it much! Especially the filling in of the Battle of the Fords of Isen.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goatleaf
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 29
posted      Profile for Goatleaf   Email Goatleaf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it as well, especially the description of the Wainrider Easterlings and their battles against the Eotheod.
From: Bree | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For those who'd like a sample of Unfinished Tales, here's a link to the text of The Disaster of the Gladden Fields:

GreyHavensDisaster

It's pretty grim reading. Being encircled and out-numbered 10-1 ain't no fun.

It reminds me of the battle of Cannae, in which 80,000 Roman troops were encircled by Hannibal's forces and 46,000 were killed (now that's a bad day). I saw a re-production on (I think) the History Channel, in which it was pointed out how horrible it must have been to be waiting in the center of that encircled army, as the carnage came ever inwards.

Here's a cool link diagramming and discussing the Battle of Cannae:

Cannae

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gram
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 24

posted      Profile for gram   Email gram   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I like it more as a reference source. It shows the different tracks that JRRT was taking to get to the final goal. The title Unfinished Tales is quite appropriate.

------------------
""Oh, it's the meek! Blessed are the meek! Oh, that's nice, isn't it?
I'm glad they're getting something, 'cause they have a hell of a time."

From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amandil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 8

posted      Profile for amandil   Email amandil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 

My favorite part of Unfinished Tales is Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin. I love the way Tolkien describes each of the different 7 gates leading down the cleft into the Vale of Tumladen.

It'd be cool to have a continuous text of:

-Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin (UT)
-Of Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin (Silmarillion)
-The Fall of Gondolin (from HoME, which goes into much greater detail about the Battle than Silmarillion)

They're stylistically different, and somewhat contradictory, but it'd make for a great story.

The more you think about it, it's a shame Tolkien couldn't finish The Silmarillion as he intended. It would have been awesome.

I've found a nice page with the partial text of Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin that mixes in some great graphics:

TuorGondolin

This message has been edited by amandil on 11-03-2000 at

From: ny, usa | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Gladen Fields battle and Isuldur losing the ring in the Anduin was good too! Get this book if you haven't yet.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to,but...I can't find it.
From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Galadriel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 412
posted      Profile for Lady Galadriel   Email Lady Galadriel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither... *sigh* maybe one day...
I have seen The Book Of Lost Tales, but it is so expencive, I don't think I'll by it anytime soon

From: Belgrade, Yugoslavia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
it is only about 6 dollars in paperback
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor willhap
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 300
posted      Profile for willhap   Email willhap   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read UT yet but I see it all the time in one of the several bookstores where I live. Also, you can get anything on Amazon.com fairly cheap. Just curious what you mean by you can't find it??? And as Fingolfin said, the paperback versions are very cheap.

This message has been edited by willhap on 05-10-2001 at

From: Jackson, MS | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah,I know that it's cheap,but not where I live(and I can't find it,so...)

------------------
Namarie!Nai hiruvalye Valimar.Nai elye hiruva.Namarie!

From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor willhap
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 300
posted      Profile for willhap   Email willhap   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Can you shop online Aragorn?
From: Jackson, MS | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
UT is great! I thought every part of it was awesome! as for the price:
UT = $7 Media Play
Book of Lost Tales 1 & 2 = $7 each Media Play
if you dont have a Media Play around you, find one!

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 38
posted      Profile for Beren   Email Beren   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The part about the Rohirrim is great! So is the Fords of Isen and how Theoden's son was killed and ... hell the whole book is great!
From: Northwest USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mellon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 402
posted      Profile for Mellon   Email Mellon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic, am reading it now. Great background info regarding events and people alluded to in LOTR.

------------------
Got to be a warrior
A slave I couldn't be
A soldier and a conqueror
Fighting to be free

From: houston, tx usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Midus unknown
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 358
posted      Profile for Midus unknown   Email Midus unknown   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
i just started reading UT it is great
From: once i lived in the land of mirkwood but now i travel the world | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cernunnos
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 652

posted      Profile for Cernunnos   Email Cernunnos   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Parts of it, and especially Turin and Tuor are among the best things JRRT ever wrote. imagine if he had rewritten the Fall of Gondolin from his earliest version! Awesome! Heaps of other great stuff, eg Saruman and pipeweed.

------------------
Whereas the light perceives the very heart of the darkness, its own secret has not been discovered.

From: Perth, Scotland | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 38
posted      Profile for Beren   Email Beren   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just read again the Aldaron and Erendis chapter! Too bad there is such a lack of knowledge of Numenor.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I am an outlaw, I was born an outlaw's son,
the highway is my legacy, on the highway I will run.

The One Ring

From: Northwest USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Aside from the Appendices at the end of Return of the King, Unfinished Tales is my 'go-to' book when I want to read something Tolkien but don't want to read the whole trilogy.

Aldarion and Erendis is one of those great tales that gets re-read a lot.

Iarwain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 84
posted      Profile for Iarwain   Email Iarwain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I actually prefer the story of Turin in this book rather than in the Children of Hurin. I was so looking forward to this book but was sorely disappointed.

I would love to have a tale put together of the fall of Gondolin.
I still love the John Howe illustrated cover that I have of Tuor and Ulmo.

From: Pembrokeshire | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

quote:
Iarwain said: "I actually prefer the story of Turin in this book rather than in the Children of Hurin."
It is a bit grittier I think. Children of Hurin was reasonably well written, but that said, like The Hobbit, I only read it once.

Though heavily footnoted and 'Unfinished', Unfinished Tales is heaped full of good useful info on Middle Earth.

[ 12-10-2014, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: Snöwdog ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » Reference Material » Unfinished Tales
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help