profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The Notion Club Papers
Author Topic: The Notion Club Papers
Atmospherium
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5323
posted      Profile for Atmospherium   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
After years of procrastination, I finally bought a copy of Sauron Defeated. I already had "The End Of The Third Age," so I was familiar with that section of this volume, but the Notion Club Papers was entirely new to me. It's exciting to read some "new" Tolkien.

I haven't reached The Drowning of Anadûne yet, but I'm finding the Notion Club Papers to be very curious and engrossing. Part One is a bit long-winded at times, but I like the general ideas being put forth via Ramer. Tolkien does closely approach Lewis and Williams (and even a slight echo of Algernon Blackwood) territory with this story. It's certainly unique to me among all his writings.

Something very odd happened while reading Part Two (which I haven't finished yet.) When Lowdham shares the writings that came to him in dreams (Night 67), and I read the excerpts and the following discussion of them, an eerie sensation crept over me. I began to feel as though I was not reading fiction, but an actual account of something terrible and strange that took place in our remote past.

Arda and Middle-earth have always been "real" to me on an emotional level, but for a few moments here, it all became perhaps TOO real. It was an uncomfortable feeling to think that Zigur once walked the earth and brought about the destruction of the ancient world. A remnant of his spirit may still be hovering somewhere nearby. []

The story would have made a fine thriller if finished, though I'm not sure how Tolkien would have satisfactorily ended it, beyond an account of the Fall of Númenor.

From: The Niagara Frontier | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is an interesting feeling...

http://www.minastirith.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000302

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh.
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The Notion Club Papers
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help