Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Did Tolkien ever make maps of the places from his books?
Author Topic: Did Tolkien ever make maps of the places from his books?
laurelindo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11348
posted      Profile for laurelindo   Email laurelindo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you know if Tolkien ever actually drew maps of certain places in his books?
I found a map of Bag End a few minutes ago, but I'm not sure if Tolkien himself did it.
I always pictured Bag End as a long tunnel leading straight through the hill with rooms to the left and right, but this looks more like it is built parallel with the path outside his porch;
I've also seen a map of Beorn's Halls, but that one has no signature either.

Now I'm not sure if this is good or bad to know - after all the purpose of books is to create images in your own head - but it would still be interesting to become familiar with Tolkien's own imaginations, it doesn't necessarily affect your own personal imaginations in any dramatical way.

[ 09-16-2011, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: laurelindo ]

Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ithuar
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 5291
posted      Profile for Ithuar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Those maps are by Karen Wynn Fonstad who wrote the Atlas of Middle-earth.
Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Martinez
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3602
posted      Profile for Michael Martinez   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Martinez   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what one can expect to see in the upcoming book The Art of The Hobbit but maybe it will have some maps. The book, edited by Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull, is being published in the United Kingdom later this month and includes about 100 drawings and illustrations Tolkien made for The Hobbit.

The maps he made that I can think of, which have seen publication, including a drawing of the layout of the Teiglin where Turin ambushed Glaurung, Thror's map of Erebor, the map of Wilderland, the maps of Beleriand and Middle-earth (both redrawn by Christopher), the map of the Shire, a map depicting the outline of Bree, the map of Gondor, and the map of Numenor.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Author of Visualizing Middle-earth, Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle-earth, 3rd edition, and Understanding Middle-earth.

A new Middle-earth archive...
Middle-earth.Xenite.Org

From: Atlanta | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Nuinamarthion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1945

posted      Profile for Nuinamarthion   Author's Homepage   Email Nuinamarthion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This reply is long overdue, but yes, he did draw some maps, published in "Pictures by JRR Tolkien" long ago (no longer available atm)

You can find some in this page (bottom):
http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/tolkien/gallery.html

Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Did Tolkien ever make maps of the places from his books?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help