Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Regular books vs. audio books...
Author Topic: Regular books vs. audio books...
laurelindo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11348
posted      Profile for laurelindo   Email laurelindo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Which do you prefer, and why?

Personally I have always read the books normally, but I'm starting to become interested in these audio books; it certainly seems incredibly comfortable to just lie down and listen. []
The problem is to find a reader who feels good to listen to and justifies the feeling of the books; this guy does a great job reading The Silmarillion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yyEz_cRGb8

[ 07-22-2011, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: laurelindo ]

Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Snowman of Forochel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the audio books because I don't have to put on my reading glasses, and I can relax on the sofa or bed, close my eyes, listen to the dramatic reader, and get whisked away to the world of Tolkien! Sound effects included!

It's really a fantastic experience!

[ 07-22-2011, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
GEAUX SAINTS!!

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
this guy does a great job reading The Silmarillion:

"That guy" is CHRIS TOLKIEN.
From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that's CJRT, though Christopher Tolkien did do some recording.

The reader here mispronounces some names, but he has a good voice anyway (Martin Shaw maybe?).

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

posted      Profile for Snowman of Forochel   Author's Homepage   Email Snowman of Forochel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about The Silmarillon, but I have the only unabridged recordings of the Lord of the Rings, and it's narrated magnificently by Rob Ingliss.

[ 07-26-2011, 10:15 PM: Message edited by: Snowman of Forochel ]

From: New Orleans | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zirith
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11256

posted      Profile for Zirith   Email Zirith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Silmarillion audiobook too, but audiobooks and me dont go too well. I listened till maybe, um.. maybe.. Of Eldamar, but after that I got bored.
An audiobook, however well narrated it may be, cant really grip readers like a real book does. Especially the Sil, as if you have not read the book before, it can be really confusing to keep track of all the names of the Eldar. Also the Valaquenta becomes quite a blur..
That at least is my opinion.
[] REAL BOOKS RULE! []

From: In the Ruins of the Palace of Aurilosse | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I do have some audio copies of Discworld books and they are as good as reading them. Plus they have the benefits in that they block out the TV at work during my breaks.
Snowy, you have the only unabridged recordings of Lotr? How did you manage that?

From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

quote:
Snowy, you have the only unabridged recordings of Lotr? How did you manage that?
Hi Hamfast!

I went into Barnes and Noble and bought them.

You could probably get them a lot cheaper at Amazon or E-Bay. There's also a Hobbit and Silmarillon audiobooks from these same people. Rob Ingliss just does a wonderful job reading them with lots of passion and drama.

Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
posted      Profile for Numenorean Sword Trainer   Email Numenorean Sword Trainer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's funny, I listened to the Harry Potter series exclusively on audio, but I prefer Tolkien only in text form; I think it's because Tolkien is a superior writer, and so he should be seen and not heard []

(With one exception: Tolkien's reading of his own writing; that for me is the only thing that beats my experience of reading it; but no other narrator comes close, even Chris Tolkien's reading of The Silmarillion). I think it's because only Tolkien knows how to put his feeling into his inflections as well as his words, so the two together are just indescribable.

In contrast, J.K. Rowling is more basic, and so that's maybe why it's better to hear a narrator tell about things like "Harry's stomach turning inside-out" or his various other "organ-recitals." []

Then again, I've never heard J.K. Rowling narrate it, so it's maybe not a fair comparison... but it probably is []

[ 08-05-2011, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: Numenorean Sword Trainer ]

From: The Island Previously Known as Numenor | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Neytari Took-Baggins
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 490

posted      Profile for Neytari Took-Baggins   Author's Homepage   Email Neytari Took-Baggins   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If it's the author reading and the author is a good reader, I love audio books. Best example: Neil Gaiman. See if you can track down one of the free legal MP3s of his "A Study in Emerald."

But then, even with Gaiman, I prefer audio recordings of short stories, not novels or even novellas (I've yet to be able to finish listening to him read "The Monarch of the Glenn"). I forget too many important things when I'm not reading it myself.

[ 08-05-2011, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Neytari Took-Baggins ]

From: California ainrofilaC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Warrior of Rohan
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4704
posted      Profile for Warrior of Rohan   Email Warrior of Rohan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I spend a lot of time in the car so books on audio are great for me. You have to listen to Martin Shaw read the Silmarillion. Very well done. Sort of dark and forboding as it should be. Listen to it on a dark rainy night and you will know what I mean.
From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Numenorean Sword Trainer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11359
Well of course audio is better if you're driving []
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2150

Audio books are always better...........to me.
Roll of Honor The Woodwose
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3503

posted      Profile for The Woodwose   Email The Woodwose   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could actually read more often, but audio books have been great for me. I have a job that I have been doing long enough that it requires little actual thought. While I am busy working with my hands I can typically put work on autopilot and listen to music, sermons, and books while working.

I still prefer actually sitting down and reading [] but I have a job that keeps me away from home 10-11 hours a day [] , and I have a wife [] and two young boys [] which leaves little time for "curling up with a good book". So, I consider myself extremely fortunate to be able to listen, learn, and/or just enjoy a good story during a typically long work week.

Thank God for technology! []

P.S. I have missed having such a good selection of emoticons to use when writing... []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...Turin said nothing, but turned his eyes upon Saeros, and there was a glint in their darkness. But Saeros did not heed the warning, and returned the gaze with scorn, saying for all to hear: "If the Men of Hithlum are so wild and fell, of what sort of the women of that land? Do they run like deer clad only in their hair?"
Then Turin took a drinking vessel and cast it into Saeros' face, and he fell back with great hurt... Then Saeros rising spat blood upon the board and spoke from a broken mouth: "How long shall we harbour this woodwose? Who rules here tonight?"...
Unfinished Tales

From: I'm a wose darn it! I live in the WOODS!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Regular books vs. audio books...
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help