profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Morgoth's Ring
Author Topic: Morgoth's Ring
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hullo everyone, this is only my second post on Minas Tirith, so i apologise if i don't get everything right and im posting this in the wrong place, but i was wondering if you could aid me in something.

So, anyway, back to my problem. I recently started reading Morgoths Ring, written by Christopher Tolkien, which i am sure you know, is a reference/aid to The Simarillion. Throughout the book though, Christopher Tolkien keeps refering to Morgoths Ring as the first book to accompany The Simarillion, but i cannot firgure out for the life of me what the second accompaning book is. So that in essence, is my question, if Morgoths ring is the first book, what is the second?

Any help will be much appreciated. (P.S., sorry for spelling errors, slighlty dyslexic)

Thanks in advance

Eonwe The Herald

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The War of the Jewels is the second book.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
posted      Profile for Eonwe The Herald   Email Eonwe The Herald   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh thank you very much Tuor.

Just out of interest, did anyone else find this book kind of hard going ?

From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Home is heavy going. Although there is some good material in their. But some of the Editing is just plain confusing. At least to me! I think part of the trouble was that Tolkien edited and re-edited his tales so many times, and he possibly wouldn't have been satisfied with the published Silmarillion, it is a little difficult to know at times what tales are what! If Tolkien was alive today, he would probably still be re-editing his tales.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely. I'm trying to read HoMe in order, and found the first few books very tough. I'm on the set of books in the middle that deal with the writing of LotR, and these are a little easier.

I'm looking forward to Morgoth's Ring, as it seems to have some of the most intriguing themes and extras in it.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
HoMe X, XI, and XII are definitely the most interesting - esp. X and XII. XII is quite easy to read, I read it a few years ago.

I didn't actually read X and XI, I was translating them with a group of friends.

From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
quote:
I'm looking forward to Morgoth's Ring, as it seems to have some of the most intriguing themes and extras in it.
it is a good book, it is hard to try and figure out what the actual finished tale is though, when Christopher gives so many different passages but overall i am liking it so far.

One more question for you guys, sicne i am so obviously a noob [] . What is the order of the legendarium in terms of setting. My understaning is it is Eä, The Void, Arda, Middle Earth/Valinor, would this be correct?

Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Unless I'm missing something, the Void is what originally existed.

Ea brought about our Universe in which everything else exists. So you have basically two regions of existance: Everything in Ea and the Void which exists outside of Ea.

[ 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Tuor ]

From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eonwe The Herald
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11232
Thanks for clearing that up Tuor, makes more sense now anyway.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm trying to read HoMe in order, and found the first few books very tough. I'm on the set of books in the middle that deal with the writing of LotR, and these are a little easier.
Yeah, I seem to get this as well. When I go into a book store, I look at the Tolkien section, and it seems the middle and later books are the ones gone, with multiple copies of the early few. Maybe I'll order a fe I may be interested in online.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Morgoth's Ring
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help