profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Question regarding Elves
Author Topic: Question regarding Elves
Roll of Honor The DarkQueen Iauraearien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
(I THINK this should go here, sorry if I'm wrong.)

I've recently been delving back into Middle-earth, and I was wondering where I could find some of the Elven history. Having never touched HoMe, it's hard to know where to start looking. Of course, it may be hidden away in the depths of the Sil, but I don't go there from choice. []

Any knowledgable posters care to prod me in the right direction?

From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it depends how far back you want to go. The first few chapters of the Silmarillion are quite good for early Elvish history. I'm afraid that I do find Home quite confusing at times, a shame because there is some quite good stuff in it. But really, the first few chapters of the Silmarillion is the place to look. It's not that hard, really. In fact the first few chapters of the Silmarillion can be read in about 100 pages. Amazing that, considering the scope in History it tells. I mean, that's about one-sixth of the last Harry Potter book in terms of pages! It's worth a try if you're interested!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

posted      Profile for The DarkQueen Iauraearien   Author's Homepage   Email The DarkQueen Iauraearien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Hamfast, I'll give it a try. But 100 pages of Sil? *shudder* []
From: Mordor | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The first 100 pages are easier the second time. Which means you should read the whole Silmarillion first. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 374

posted      Profile for Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You could pick up The War of the Jewels and read Quendi and Eldar.
From: Oklahoma | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good suggestion, Tuor. [] I'd advise to stay away from much of HoMe until you've read the Sil, only because it contains a lot of revisions of the same work and it's hard to keep track of who's whom ( [] ) unless you've read the "real" version first.

The Sil's style isn't for everyone, but if you take it a section at a time it's alright.

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Well, I bravely dug out my copy of the Sil. []

Thanks for the further suggestion, Tuor.

Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the Sil's style! But then I read policy-history texts as a hobby.
From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When I was first starting on the Sil, I took notes. I felt a little ridiculous doing it, but it did help! I'm such a visual learner that I had to map out some of the ideas before I could really see the bigger picture.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I was seriously considering taking notes too actually Losty.

Sarah, that's just scary. []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, DarkQueen! Actually, one other thing you could do is look in the Silmarillion forum here and look at the index and look up some of the discussions about Elves.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

True enough, I hadn't thought of that. The cold must be addling my brain. []
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But one must still read the Silmarillion, yes. []
From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Taking notes helps []
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

Reading 3 consecutive times helps! That's what I did. []
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you really can't stand reading the Silmarillion but want to know what's in it, you could also try the audiobook. I listen to it fairly regularly.
From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

quote:
Taking notes helps
Do you know, that's what my Dad did when I suggested that he should read the Silmarillion. He said he was doing fine and had just worked out who Melkor was and what he wanted then Melkor's name changed! My Dad reckoned he couldn't forgive Feanor for doing that! []
Roll of Honor Lostfiniel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2983

posted      Profile for Lostfiniel   Email Lostfiniel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you know, that's what my Dad did when I suggested that he should read the Silmarillion. He said he was doing fine and had just worked out who Melkor was and what he wanted then Melkor's name changed! My Dad reckoned he couldn't forgive Feanor for doing that!
I understand his pain! I should take a crack at the Silm again. I jumped around so much, reading the stories I was interested. I never got a good hold on the second half of it. Reading it once (or twice) through should be interesting. Somehow I feel that I could take in more now than when I last tried.
From: Carlsbad, California | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

Artaresto, if I read it three consecutive times I think my brain really would rot and slide out of my ear. It really is horribly written, however good the content may or may not be. [] (Yes yes, I know one shouldn't say such things about dear Tolkien)

[] Hamfast.

And to all who suggested it, I do intend to take notes. I suppose I'd best start it when I finish my current book. Bleh. [] []

Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

So, how are you getting on with the Silmarillion so far DQ? []

[ 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Hamfast Gamgee ]

Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2041

I have yet to start it, I'll get around to it though... Honest... []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
DQI said: "I have yet to start it, I'll get around to it though... Honest... [] "
Did you ever get around to it Dark Iauraearien?
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Question regarding Elves
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help