Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Just exactly how great were the senses of the Elves?
Author Topic: Just exactly how great were the senses of the Elves?
Peter_20
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6368
posted      Profile for Peter_20   Email Peter_20   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I find this pretty interesting.
It's said that the Elves had really great sight and hearing etc, but just HOW powerful were they?

For example, is a human able to get the same eyesight?
My father used to have about 160% (or 1.6), but I reckon Elves would have like 3.0 or something. []
And what about hearing?
Would we be able to hear a human walking in the woods five miles away?

Has anyone tried drawing a picture or something that demonstrates the eyesight of an Elf?
That would be pretty cool.

From: Sweden | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Supra
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5329
posted      Profile for Supra   Email Supra   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well Legolas was able to see a hint of Minas tirith and even Mount doom from Helm's deep or dunharrow (not sure [] ), which is a distance of around 500 miles O.o.

The way I always imagined it was that normally their eyes were same as humans, but if they needed to, they could "zoom" in as if they had built in binoculars. Also, they probably have more cells in their retina which gives them more peripheral vision.

I have no idea about their ears [] .

From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2117
posted      Profile for The Dread Pirate Roberts   Email The Dread Pirate Roberts   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Someone posted something about how Elven eyes might work...I'll do a search, hold on...here's the thread:

Elvish eyesight thread
And the article linked to in the original post is excellent, assuming it's still a live link.

From: Blacksburg, VA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarah the Good Witch
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11219
posted      Profile for Sarah the Good Witch   Email Sarah the Good Witch   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The planet Mars, for example, takes 1.8822 years to travel the full 360 degrees, and leaving out all other complications for the sake of simplicity, it therefore moves an angular distance of 12 minutes - equivalent to human eyesight - in just under nine hours. This means that it would take a human observer nine hours to notice that Mars had moved, with respect to the background of the sky. Given that Mars is probably not observable for nine hours together on any given night (because of the Earth's rotation), an unaided human observer would not be able to detect the motion of Mars against the background of stars in any one session.

Elves wouldn't have to wait nearly that long. Taking 8 seconds of arc as something an Elf such as Legolas was comfortable with, he would have noticed the motion of Mars in six minutes of observation, or less.

So this means that Elves have 90x better eyesight than humans.

[ 03-20-2009, 07:03 AM: Message edited by: Sarah the Good Witch ]

From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khamul the Black
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11222
posted      Profile for Khamul the Black   Email Khamul the Black   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well im thinking since their ears were pointed and they are different from us, its likely that they do have good hearing..... but its just an opinion
Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Just exactly how great were the senses of the Elves?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help