Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The History of Middle-earth - Guidelines and Introduction
Author Topic: The History of Middle-earth - Guidelines and Introduction
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

Welcome to The History of Middle-earth(HoME) series forum of Minas Tirith. This forum is dedicated to the discussion of those volumes in the aforementioned series which chronicle the development of Tolkien's mythology (those foundational traditions which set the groundwork for The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings and of which these latter are but small branches) from pre-WWI 1914 until well near the time of his death in 1973.

As long as you are registered feel free to post in and enjoy the wealth of threads available using the search function (also useful in reducing redundant topics [] ) and if you have any questions be sure to check out the FAQ and/or the topic: All Newbie Questions Answered. Also when starting new topics keep in mind that clear and consise titles best attract potential contributers. []

-

To help you get started here is a list of some of the more recent and choice discussions rather roughly catagorized:
"Help!" (On the all to common difficulty of reading/understanding in pursuit of the inevitable enjoyment)
"[Note]books of Lore" (On editions and their attainment)

"The Golden Book of Tavrobel" (Specific works and volumes considered)

"Free-dreams" (Specific concepts and ideas discussed)

"The Unfolding of a History" (On the evolution of a mythology)

-

FUN AND GAMES (the rules are pretty much the same for all the games: ¹If you submit a correct answer you must submit a new question/scramble/etc. and ²If noone answers or submits a new one for a rather length segment of time the floor becomes open and anyone can ask/submit a new question/scramble/etc.) Specifically for the HoME forum it might be a good idea to specify the volume from which the question springs given the possibility of multiple answers.

[ 03-19-2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

In my own readings of this series one of the biggest frustrations for me has been keeping in mind specific dates of composition and evolution of the texts considered as though the series is given in general chronological order the texts are not specifically presented in exactly that manner. In order then to provide a reference with which I could trace the development of Tolkien's work parallel to his life and art and publications etc. I developed this time-line for quick reference.

I give here a dated time-line of Tolkien's compositional life primarily with occasional major biographical, art and family photo asides. My sources in compiling this have been: The Book of Lost Tales vol I, The Book of Lost Tales vol II, The Lays of Beleriand, The Shaping of Middle-earth, The Lost Road and Other Writings, The Return of the Shadow, The Treason of Isengard, The War of the Ring, Sauron Defeated, Morgoth's Ring, The War of the Jewels, The Peoples of Middle-earth, Unfinished Tales, Tolkien's Oxford, J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator, The Pictures of J.R.R. Tolkien, The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography, and The Annotated Hobbit

See HERE for cross reference of dates of composition(this thread) with dates of publications(the link).

—-—-—-—-—-
TITLE KEY:
Bold - Narrative prose
Italicize - Narrative verse
Normal - Essays, Discussions, Commentary, Notes
—^—^—^—^—^—

- 'Phoenix Farm'(September)¹
1914 (Ronald Tolkien and Edith Bratt are betrothed)
  • SEP -·› Eálá Earendel Beorhtast
  • DEC -·› The Biddle of the Minstrel

- 'The Shores of Faëry'(May)¹
1915 (Ronald Tolkien commissioned and begins Military Training)
  • MAR -·› Sea Chant of the Elder Day (> Horns of Ulmo)
  • APR -·› Goblin Feet, You and Me and the Cottage of Lost Play, Kor
  • JUL -·› The Shores of Faëry, The Happy Mariners
  • SEP -·› The Song of Aryador
  • NOV -·› Kortirion Among the Trees
  • DEC -·› Habbanan beneath the Stars, Over Old Hills and Far Away
    [+] Qenya Lexicon

- 'Ronald Tolkien'²
1916 (Ronald and Edith are Married. Ronald serves in the Battle of the Somme. He returns to England in November on sick-leave.)
  • MAR -·› The Wanderer's Alliegence
  • NOV -·› The Wanderer's Alliegence
    [+] The Fall of Gondolin

1917 (Ronald posted to Yorkshire but remains in the hospital for the majority of the year.)
  • FEB -·› The Tale of Tinúviel
    [+] The Cottage of Lost-Play, The Song of Eriol, The Horns of Ylmir, Gnomish Lexicon

- '50 St Johns Street'³
1918 (Lt. Tolkien posted to Staffordshire. After Armistace Tolkien family moves to 50 St Johns Street in Oxford.)

1919 (Tolkien family moves to 1 Alfred Street)
  • [+] The Music of the Ainur(I), The Tale of Turambar, The Túrin Prose Fragment

-

1920(Tolkien appointed "Reader" at Leeds University.)
  • [+] Ælfwine of England, The Lay of the Children of Húrin, The Lay of the Fall of Gondolin

- 'Leeds' Faculty'
1921 (Tolkien family moves to 11 St Mark's Terrace in Leeds.)
  • [+] The Lay of the Children of Húrin

1924 (Tolkien appointed Professor at Leeds University.)
  • MAY -·› The Nameless Land (> The Song of Ælfwine)
    [+] The Lay of the Children of Húrin

[ 03-19-2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

- '22 Northmoor Road'³
1925 (Tolkien elected Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford University. The family moves to 22 Northmoor Road in Oxford.)
  • AUG -·› The Lay of Leithian(~lines 1-537)
  • SEPT -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 557-757)
    [+] The Lay of the Children of Húrin, The Flight of the Noldor, Alliterative Lay of Earendel

1926 (Tolkien meets and befriends C.S. Lewis.)
  • FEB -·› The Lay of Leithian(Synopsis I)
  • MAR -·› The Lay of Leithian(Synopsis I)
  • MAY -·› The Lay of Leithian(Synopsis I)
    [+] The Sketch of the Mythology, 1st Silmarillion Map

- 'Glaurung sets Forth'(September)¹
  • [+] Sketch of the Mythology

- 'Halls of Manwe'(July)¹
  • MAR -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 757-2114)
  • APR -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 2114-2998)
    [+] Sketch of the Mythology

- 'A Shop at the Edge of the Hills of Fairy Land'¹
  • NOV -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 2998-3031 and C.S. Lewis Commentary On )
    [+] Sketch of the Mythology

-

- 'One Morning Early in the Quiet of the World'¹
1930 (The Tolkien Family moves to 20 Northmoor Road)
  • SEP -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 3076-3840)
    [+] Sketch of the Mythology, The Quenta, The Hobbit(A)

• SEP -·› The Lay of Leithian(~l. 3840-4085)
    [+] Earliest Annals of Beleriand (early 1930's)†, Earliest Annals of Valinor (early 1930's)†, Geneologies (e. 1930's)†, List of Names (e. 1930's)†, 2nd Silmarillion Map (e. 1930's)†, The Hobbit(B,C)

- 'The Back Door'¹
  • [+] The Hobbit(B,C)

• [+] Later Annals of Beleriand (mid 1930's)†, Later Annals of Valinor (mid 1930's)†

- ²
1936 (The Hobbit accepted for publication and finished.)
  • OCT -·› The Hobbit (D,E & F)
    [+] The Song of Ælfwine, The Fall of Numenor(I), The Lost Road, The Bodleian Declensions, Ambarkanta (mid/late 1930's)†, Ainulinedale(A,B) (mid/late 1930's)†, Lhammas (mid/late 1930's)†, Quenta Silmarillion (late 1930's)†, The Etymologies (late 1930's)†

[ 03-19-2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

- 'The Hill'(August)¹
1937 (The Hobbit Published and The Lord of the Rings begun in December)
  • DEC -·› The Lord of the Rings (chpt 1)
    [+] The Lost Road, The Etymologies, Quenta Silmarillion

• JAN -·› Quenta Silmarillion
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book I
    (early: chpt 1 -› Rivendel, early Summer: Reworking from beginning, October: Reworking chpt 1 -› Rivendel)
    · Prologue
    [+] The Etymologies

- 'One Page of the Book of Moria'¹
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book I
    (Aug-Dec: Reworking until v. close to final by end 1939)
    · Book II (Aug-Dec: Rivendel -› Moria + New August projections)
    · Prologue
    [+] The Etymologies

-

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book I
    (Aug: assorted reworkings (eg "New Plot"))
    · Book II (Aug-Dec: assorted reworkings + continue from Moria(once "much finalized"))
    [+] The Happy Mariners

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book II
    (Lothlorien -› Departure of Boromir)

-
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book III
    (Departure of Boromir -› Palantir)

[+] The Fall of Numenor(II & III [< Feb 1942])

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · First Map (constructed by Christopher Tolkien from his father's assorted "sketches")

- 'Untitled[Minas Tirith]'(October)¹
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book IV
    (Apr-Nov)
    · Book III (May,Oct: expansion/emendation)
    · Book V (Oct: Muster of Rohan & Minas Tirith)

1945 (Tolkien elected Professor of English Language and Literature at Oxford University)
  • DEC -·› The Notion Club Papers (I: A,B; II: E)

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book V
    (Jul-Dec)
    [+] The Drowning of Anadûnê(I-IV [< July]), The Notion Club Papers (I: C,D; II: F [< July]), Ainulindale C*

- '3 Manor Road'³
1947 (The Tolkien family moves to 3 Manor Road)

1948 (The Lord of the Rings completed.)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Book VI
    (-Oct)
    · Prologue
    · Appendix F
    [+] Ainulindale C

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · Prologue

· Appendix D
    · Appendix B
    · Appendix A

- '99 Holywell Street'³
1950 (The Tolkiens move to 99 Holywell Street.)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Prologue

· Appendix D
    · Appendix B
    · Appendix A
    [+] The Lay of Leithian Recommenced, The Annals of Aman, Ainulindale(D)†, The Grey Annals

• MAY -·› Quenta Silmarillion (B & C conclusion)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Appendix F

· Appendix A
    [+] The Later Quenta Silmarillion(I), Maeglin(A), The Tale of Years, The Annals of Aman, The Grey Anna;s, The Akallabêth(A,B)

• The Lord of the Rings:
    · Appendix F

· Appendix A
    [+] ?Dangweth Pengolod (1951-9 early)†, ?Of Lembas (1951-9 early)†, Later Quenta Silmarillion(I), The Tale of Years

[ 03-19-2005, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

- '76 Sandfield Road'³
1953 (The Tolkien family moved to 76 Sandfield Road)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Appendix F

· Appendix A

1954 (The publication of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers.)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Appendix F

· Appendix B
    · Appendix A
    [+] The Quest of Erebor(A, B & C), Istari, The Hunt for the Ring

1955 (Publication of The Return of the King)
  • The Lord of the Rings:
    · Appendix F

· Appendix B
    · Appendix A
    [+] They Lay of Leithian Reccomenced(emendations 1955<), Tal-Elmar, The Quest of Erebor(A, B & C), The Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth(draft-slips: a, b & c [1955-9]), The Hunt for the Ring

• [+] The Wanderings of Húrin(draft material 1954 & 1957), The New Shadow

1958 (Tolkien obtains new and final typewriter)
  • [+] Annals of Aman(typescript), The Wanderings of Húrin(typescript), The Grey Annals(typescript), The Later Quenta Silmarillion(II)(typescript), The Akallabêth(C)(typescript), Ents and Eagles, Myth's Transformed(late 1950's)

1959 (Tolkien retires from Oxford University.)
  • [+] Athrabeth Finrod Ah Andreth, Battle at the Fords of Isen, Tale of Years(emendations), Ents and Eagles, Myth's Transformed(late 1950's), Quendi and Eldar, Osanwe-kenta

-

- 'Untitled[Doodles]'¹
  • [+] Aldarion and Erendis, Description of the Island of Númenor, ?Line of Elros†, Osanwe-kenta

- 'Sunrise'(November)¹

• JAN -·› Aldarion and Erendis(typescript)
    [+] Palantiri

-

1968 (The Tolkien family moves to 19 Lakeside Road in Poole.)
  • [+] The Shibboleth of Fëanor, The Problem of Ros, The New Shadow(C)

• JUL -·› The Rivers and Beacon-hills of Gondor
    [+] The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, The Druedain(The Faithful Stone), The Disaster at Gladden Fields, Of Dwarves and Men, Ciriol and Eorl

-

• [+] Maeglin (c. 1970-1), The History of Galadriel and Celeborn

1971 (Edith Tolkien dies in November)
  • [+] Maeglin(B)(typescript)

- 'Last Photograph'(August)²
1972 (Tolkien moves to 21 Merton Street in Oxford and is made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire by the Queen of England)
  • [+] Late Writings

1973 (Tolkien moves to Bournemouth and dies on September 2nd.)
  • [+] Late Writings

-

¹Source: J.R.R. Tolkien: The Artist and Illustrator (Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull)
²Source: J.R.R. Tolkien: A Biography (Humphrey Carpenter)
³Source: Tolkien's Oxford
† Tentatively though relatively accurately dated given a certain degree of uncertainty about specific period of writing

[ 03-19-2005, 05:56 PM: Message edited by: Fingolfin of the Noldor ]

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The History of Middle-earth - Guidelines and Introduction
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help