profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The New Shadow
Author Topic: The New Shadow
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently the good professor started on a sequal to Lord of the Rings entitled "The New Shadow" that was to take place 100 years after the start of the Fourth Age. He wrote a chapter of it and then gave up, deeming it not worthy to write (for better or for worse) and Christopher included that chapter in one of the HoME books (though I forget which one).

Now I know the basic premise is that the "shadow" is not supernatural, but the darkness in the hearts of men. In the century of peace some men have grown bored and restless and a cult appears that worships darkness. It spreads in influence and plots to overtake the throne. Beyond that I don't know, for I haven't actually read it since I don't own that volume of HoME. Can anyone tell me anything more? I hope to start a RP exploring the speculation around the topic.

Thank you.

From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well: check your email. You'll find something there for you. [] A couple weeks ago I sent the same thing to Mandin, so I had it all prepared and ready to go. I believe I also have some related things regarding it from Letters and Christopher's commentary in various places. I'll see if I can find those, and if I can, I'll send it to you too.

It's a fascinating story, in my mind, because it gives an indication of the Professor's thoughts on the development of the World. Perhaps we could say "development of the World in a different stage of imagination," to paraphrase something he said at one point.

Personally, I have lots of thoughts regarding it, and am surprised at how many real-world parallels can be drawn from the concept.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

posted      Profile for Mahanaxar   Email Mahanaxar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, thanks a lot! I'll be sure to read them once I get home for lunch in a half hour.
From: pants | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Care to post your thoughts on it here, Thorin?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"For I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words Bother me."

John 3:16-21

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Actually Thorin sent me the entire chapter and it's notes! If anyone is interested in them send me an email.

[ 06-22-2004, 02:43 PM: Message edited by: Mahanaxar the Spoony Bard ]

Erlendil
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4391
posted      Profile for Erlendil   Email Erlendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! [] I've long considered buying some of the HoME books...
From: Annuminas (or Trondheim, Norway) | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
be careful mahanaxor, i dont think thats really legal. I wouldnt want you or WGW to get flak over that...
From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mahanaxar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1540

Ah, point. Edited.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I win!

Estel the Ranger
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4576

posted      Profile for Estel the Ranger   Author's Homepage   Email Estel the Ranger   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
could i ever get a copy of them from anyone be it posting or email because i am really interested in it......(i hope no one gets upset with my post for any matter unknown to me)
From: jasper TX via melbourne VIC Australia. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Ecthelion of the Fountain
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 955
posted      Profile for Ecthelion of the Fountain   Email Ecthelion of the Fountain   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
ranger, check your email

mahanaxor-

I WIn =)

From: seattle, wa, usa | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
To tell you the truth, I'm not a huge fan of doing this, but check out this post in an old topic. It has some things some of you may like.

Regarding my personal thoughts on The New Shadow, I really don't have anything in a semi-coherent form. I've been wanting to take the time to make a good thread about this for a long time. For an example of what I've been thinking, please check this April 22nd post by Mandin and my response in the Ivy Bush's famous "The Beer's Sour" thread. This is kind of a hint of what I have been thinking about, but I haven't fully formed my ideas yet.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beleg
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3671
posted      Profile for Beleg   Email Beleg   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin, do go on with it! I for one will be really intrested in seeing your [And other] ideas/thoughts on/concerning it.
From: Pakistan | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelranius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4629
posted      Profile for Pelranius   Email Pelranius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What else is inside Peoples of Middle Earth, HoME Vol XII, besides the New Shadow? (think I'll go order it off the Internet. Can't find it anywhere)
From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1166

posted      Profile for Orofacion of the Vanyar   Email Orofacion of the Vanyar   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pelranius,

Part One - The Prologue and Appendices to the Lord of the Rings

I. The Prologue
II. The Appendix on Languages
III. The Family Trees
IV. The Calendars
V. The History of the Akallabeth
VI. The Tale of Years of the Second Age
VII. The Heirs of Elendil
VIII. The Tale of Years of the Third Age
IX. The Making of Appendix A
(i) The Realms in Exile
(ii) The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen
(iii) The House of Eorl
(iv) Durin's Folk

Part Two - Late Writings

X. Of Dwarves and Men (Good chapter!)
XI. The Shibboleth of Feanor
XII. The Problem of Ros (Linguistic related)
XIII. Last Writings

Part Three - Teachings of Pengolod

XIV. Dangweth Pengolod
XV. Of Lembas

Part Four - Unfinished Tales

XVI. The New Shadow
XVII. Tal-Elmar (Look around MT for an interesting thread regarding this guy [] )

If you want any information on what each chapter contains... ask someone else. [] Just kidding!

Thorin,

Funny you should bring up that thread, I'm not sure if you remember, but I was working on a North American mythology back then (Of which I'm still working on the creation story!). I'd like to get your opinion on it once I'm to a good point.

[ 06-25-2004, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Orofacion of the Vanyar ]

From: Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
OOC: Of course I remember it. [] I still think of those conversations whenever I run across a new book on that topic.
Pelranius
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4629
posted      Profile for Pelranius   Email Pelranius   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Tal-Elmar theory is quite interesting (saw the thread), though I don't know why Tolkein chose such an assuming name for someone who would later turn out to be of such importance?
From: Brunswick, Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Peoples of Middle Earth XII is well worth the read. Of all the HOME books, #6, #7, #8,#9, & #12 pertaining to Lord of the Rings are the ones I like.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » The New Shadow
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help