profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Argonath Orientation
Author Topic: Argonath Orientation
Gabil-burk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1486

posted      Profile for Gabil-burk   Author's Homepage   Email Gabil-burk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
To where are they pointing? To West? To East?
From: Lisbon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Éoric of the Riddermark
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2302

posted      Profile for Éoric of the Riddermark   Author's Homepage   Email Éoric of the Riddermark   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The account from Chapter 9, The Great River: "As Frodo was borne towards them the great pillars rose like towers to meet him. Giants they seemed to him, vast grey figures silent but threatening. Then he saw that they were indeed shaped and fashioned: the craft and power of old had wrought upon them, and still they preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn. Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone: still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown. Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a long-vanished kingdom."
From: Wilsonville, OR | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Turmanarmo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2446

posted      Profile for Turmanarmo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Who were the kings in the Argonath anyway? Anarion and Isildur?
From: Gondolin | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabil-burk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1486

posted      Profile for Gabil-burk   Author's Homepage   Email Gabil-burk   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Elendil and Isildur

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Non Nobis, Domine, non nobis sed domini, tuo da gloriam!

From: Lisbon | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Gabil-burk, they were facing North.

After reading Éoric's quote I once more took a sharp look at the poster of it (see below) and noticed that the one on the right has no axe in his hand, but a sword! I was really disappointed! The more, since their helms and crowns aren't very crumbled in my opinion. And I really liked the poster [] []

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabil-burk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1486

The sword...
The most beautifull and noble of all other weapons... A sword is a cross, isn't it?
I could start a tread about the sword and the meaning of the sword to the ring quest... just like Excalibur meaning in the Holy Grail quest!!!!!!!

Why are they facing North??????

Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Because they were used to give a warning signal to intruders entering Gondor (its territory was larger then) by the river from the north.

And the Argonath portrays Isildur and Anárion, not Isildur and Elendil. It was Isildur and Elendil in the movie...

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabil-burk
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1486

I will check it in the book...

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Non Nobis, Domine, non nobis sed domini, tuo da gloriam!

Grond
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1833
posted      Profile for Grond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
from The Fellowship of the Ring, The Great River
'Fear not! ' he said. `Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anörion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur's son heir of Elendil, has nought to dread!'

T'was the likeness of the two brothers who ruled Gondor.
From: SunnySouth | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Herendil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1494

posted      Profile for Herendil   Author's Homepage   Email Herendil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I count that as basic Tolkien knowledge.

[ 07-24-2004, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Herendil ]

From: Nowadays: The Lord of the Rings Fanatics Forum | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't both rule Gondor, anyway: Anárion ruled Arnor.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grond
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1833
posted      Profile for Grond   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by The Laurenendôrian
They didn't both rule Gondor, anyway: Anárion ruled Arnor.

Where on Earth did you get this information. Elendil ruled Arnor while the realm of Gondor was jointly ruled by his sons, Isildur and Anarion.
quote:
from The Silmarillion, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age
In Minas Ithil was the house of Isildur, and in Minas Anor the house of Anárion, but they shared the realm between them and their thrones were set side by side in the Great Hall of Osgiliath. These were the chief dwellings of the Númenóreans in Gondor, but other works marvellous and strong they built in the land in the days of their power, at the Argonath, and at Aglarond, and at Erech; and in the circle of Angrenost, which Men called Isengard, they made the pinnacle of Orthanc of unbreakable stone.

From: SunnySouth | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Someone asked why they frowned upon the north. Well Sauron wehn he first came back after the 7 year siege of barad dur went to Dol Guldor that is in the south of mirkwood if look on the maps. Therefore the argonath would be facing north up the river, frowning the evil things that come out of mirkwood in to gondor
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"As Frodo was borne towards them the great pillars rose like towers to meet him. Giants they seemed to him, vast grey figures silent but threatening. Then he saw that they were indeed shaped and fashioned: the craft and power of old had wrought upon them, and still they preserved through the suns and rains of forgotten years the mighty likenesses in which they had been hewn. Upon great pedestals founded in the deep waters stood two great kings of stone: still with blurred eyes and crannied brows they frowned upon the North. The left hand of each was raised palm outwards in gesture of warning; in each right hand there was an axe; upon each head there was a crumbling helm and crown. Great power and majesty they still wore, the silent wardens of a long-vanished kingdom."
quote:
'Fear not! ' he said. `Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anörion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur's son heir of Elendil, has nought to dread!'
Such beautiful excerpts from the books! Isildur and Anorian, the sons of Elendil on constant vigil on the River Anduin, a sure pathway of invasion.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aiwrendel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 965

posted      Profile for Aiwrendel   Author's Homepage   Email Aiwrendel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder which "poster" Earendilyon referred to above? The link is dead and it seems there would be many pictures and posters made by several artists. If it was a PJ movie poster that would explain why it was changed from the book description. []

Isn't Alan Lee famous for making LotR images that weren't true to the book? I don't remember.

*Googles*
Yep.

Yuk. The posters made by the company WETA are bad but their knowledge is worse:
quote:
...these towering statues of the ancient Kings Elendil and his son Isildur*
* N.B. In the book, the Argonath are Elendil and his other son, Anárion, but in the movie trilogy this was changed to be Elendil and his son Isildur.

puleeeze! []

In the Argonath poster made by WETA artist Gus Hunter the one on the left (Isildur} has a sword and the other (Anárion) an axe.

From: Chicago USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think I agree with Isildur and Anarion
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all you people! Like Herendil said, “I count that as basic Tolkien knowledge.”

Forget the posters! Forget the inaccurate movies! the truth lies in the writings of Tolkien!!

Here’s the roundup for those who just don’t get it:

The Pillars of the Kings faced north as a warning to incoming ne'er do wells and marking the northern boundary of Gondor. The two pillars were of Isildur and Anarion. In each right hand there was an axe. The left hands were raised palm outward.
Anorien was named after Anarion. Isildur was Lord of Ithilien. The two brothers were joint Kings of Gondor.

I, The Flammifer have spoken. []

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Faithless Is He Who Says Farewell When The Road Darkens"
It's much more difficult to sneak off in daylight!

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well said Flame Thrower!
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Argonath Orientation
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help