Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Compasses?
Author Topic: Compasses?
Andrew of the Guard
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 781
posted      Profile for Andrew of the Guard   Email Andrew of the Guard   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

Does anyone know if compasses exsisted in ME?
thanks,
Andrew

From: Stuttgart, Germany | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno. I think everybody used the stars to travel by, especially the Elves, being Starchildren....

PS
The 'if' in your question should be 'whether'.

PPS
I actually posted this answer, just for the sake of the above PS []

[ 08-26-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there was definite directions...
West - East - North - South

Whether Middle Earth had magnetic properties, and whether any of the races figured out how to make it work for them would have to be considered. I can't say I have come across any mention of these, and so the directions were named and navigated by the stars. Maybe it was the music Lady Varda contributed to the song that brought direction to Middle Earth.

An aside... Wonder if, say, the Numenoreans or the Noldor, wondered where, and how to get to, 'near' Earth, and 'far' Earth?

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That was a good question, asked from many years ago. My guess is that as Tolkien did like a lot of naval things, and as the Navy did use compasses in his time, even from many years before, that compasses, did exist as a navigation tool.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
... but is it stated anywhere by him? Not to my knowledge unless I have forgotten.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I remember, though he does say the Numenoreans were great sailors and navigators. So, it stands to reason that they would have used a compass.
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

... or the stars and their senses ...
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Yes, and no doubt some of the great Elf ones could navigate on magic alone. But there must have been some sailors that were not necessarily that great, but needed some tool to aid them with, in especial against some of the rough winds and seas of the eastern coasts, and maybe when the Numenoreans were exploring the whole world in the second age and going through uncharted territory.
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

Speculative though. One could assume they were from what we know of our world.
Anorgil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4494
posted      Profile for Anorgil   Email Anorgil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not every seafaring culture in our history used compasses. I'm pretty sure that the ancient Athenians didn't, and I'm even more sure that the Minoans didn't either. That didn't stop them from building boats and exploring the Mediterranean.

Then, too, there were the natives of the various islands of the Pacific. I would be very surprised if every single one of them knew about compasses before that technology was introduced to them by foreigners.

So it wouldn't surprise me if the Númenoreans didn't either.

From: Illinois or Iowa | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Although the Numenoreans did travel far across the Earth. In some very strange places. Now they were technically far advanced, but most were not actually magical. It would have been very useful to have known were North was when they sailed, obviously, so I think it a fair bet that sometimes compasses were used.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Compasses?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help