Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Brag about how many you've read!
Author Topic: Brag about how many you've read!
White Gold Wielder
Steward of Minas Tirith
Citizen # 2

posted      Profile for White Gold Wielder   Author's Homepage   Email White Gold Wielder   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I own all 12 volumes, but I've only read 10 of them.

Some of you are probably saying, "Only? I haven't been able to get through the first 2 books!"

Well, some of it was a tough read, but it gets easier and more fulfilling on re-reads. I've read 'The Lost Road' quite a few times. Once you read them all, you'll decide which ones you enjoy enough to read over again.

I plan on reading the whole series over again in a month or so. This time, I'm going to read them all!

From: Chicago | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caranthir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 28
posted      Profile for Caranthir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I still haven't gotten around to reading them yet, I'm a little low on funds.

Of course, there's always a library...

Nah!

------------------
If this is paradise, I want a lawn mower.

Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fingolfin_of_the_Noldor
unregistered

posted      Edit/Delete Post 
I have only recently started reading HoME
and so I have only read: "The Lays of Beleriand", "The Book of Lost Tales part 1" and I have just started "The Book of Lost Tales part 2".

------------------
Morgoth CHEATED!!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johan
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 572
posted      Profile for Johan   Author's Homepage   Email Johan   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of the books on the history of middle earth because I can't find them anywhere .I will buy some of them if I see any on my next trip to Edmonton...

------------------
I call upon the dark one,
The trickster trapped below,
Call upon his powers,
Call them from the bowels of Midgard,
And offer these, his foes
to his immortal lust for power
and his insatiable hunger for vengance...
-Exert from RUNE-

From: Alberta | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow look at my old post

Since then I have read "The Shaping of ME" most of the "Lost Road and other Writings" and I have skimmed much of "The History of the Lord of the Rings"

I just reread tlotr in order to prepare for the movie. I hope to buy HoME 8-12 and start on them in a couple of days or mb next week.

From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nrogara
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 347
posted      Profile for Nrogara   Email Nrogara   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
what are the 12 books?
From: Ennis ,TX ,USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
You mean the twelve titles I assume?

The History of Middle-earth series (HoME):
I: The Book of Lost Tales 1
II: The Book of Lost Tales 2
III: The Lays of Beleriand
IV: The Shaping of Middle-earth
V: The Lost Road
VI: The Return of the Shadow
VII: The Treason of Isengard
VIII: The War of the Ring
IX: Sauron Defeated
X: Morgoth's Ring
XI: The War of the Jewels
XII: The Peoples of Middle-earth

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aragorn_croatia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 492
posted      Profile for Aragorn_croatia   Email Aragorn_croatia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't find any of them so far,so that means I haven't read them

------------------
Namarie!Nai hiruvalye Valimar.Nai elye hiruva.Namarie!

From: Atlanta, GA / South Kent, CT | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Mandin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 415

posted      Profile for Mandin   Author's Homepage   Email Mandin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see, I bought a couple, but obviously out of order. I'll have to find the Lost Tales one and get to work.
From: Houston, Missouri | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maglor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 498

posted      Profile for Maglor   Email Maglor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about you guys but i've bought my four HOME books from book stores.
Maybe Tolkien books don't sell well in America.

From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ive found all my books fairly easy actually, LOTR, Hobbit, and The Silm you can find at any bookstore anywhere, at some you can find UT and BoLT 1 & 2. The rest of HoME ive only seen at a few bookstores and a lot of times they arent in, so i just order books from the bookstore and then i get it in a few days. Thats what I did with The Lays of Beleriand and what i probably will do with the rest of HoME

oh ya, back to the bragging

Ive read:
Unfinished Tales
Book of Lost Tales 1
Book of Lost Tales 2
and im in the process of reading The Lays of Beleriand

This message has been edited by Gandalf The White on 06-02-2001 at

From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Feanor
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 609
posted      Profile for Feanor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've read 4 of the 12 volumes so far. My favorite by far is the Lays of Beleriand. It's incredible.
Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord of the Nazgul
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 534
posted      Profile for Lord of the Nazgul   Author's Homepage   Email Lord of the Nazgul   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I just got a inter-library loan from my library fot the book of lost tales 1! I can't wait!

------------------
You dare stand in front of the Lord of the Nazgul!

From: Somewhere in Iowa | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belegûr
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 636
posted      Profile for Belegûr   Email Belegûr   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have read the first 10. I am halfway through #11, and plan on buying #12 as soon as I finish #11...

------------------
"This shall be my kingdom, and I name it unto myself."
-Melkor

Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I recently discovered that the fair public Library of Laurenendor possesses all 12 volumes. I can see that there is some serious reading to be done here.

------------------
There is a solution to every problem, and a problem with every solution.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arewn
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 601
posted      Profile for Arewn   Email Arewn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I have read (out of order obviously)
Unfinished Tales
The Lays of Beleriand
Treason of Isengard
And I just started..The Lost Road

----------
The days now are short. Either our hope cometh, or all hope's end. Therefore I send thee what I have made for thee. Fare well, Elfstone!

From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Feanor, im reading The Lays of Beleriand right now, what did you find so "incredible" about it?
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Fingolfin of the Noldor
Captain of Avatars
Citizen # 156

posted      Profile for Fingolfin of the Noldor   Author's Homepage   Email Fingolfin of the Noldor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It is simply amazing how tolkien was able to tell the stories with such elequence and vivid imagery and at the same time keep it in poetic form.
From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

ah yes, i must agree with you on that one, he uses such a large vocabulary in making words rhyme

This message has been edited by Gandalf The White on 06-07-2001 at

Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I've only spot-read some of the last six.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I own 8 or 9 of them.
I haven't read any of them in full (nearly all of 1 and 2), but I've read sections of all of them - mostly I bought the book to be able to study that section.

And the reason was often that we had been discussing it here at MT.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
túrë a enda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11399
posted      Profile for túrë a enda   Email túrë a enda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Never heard of them before today, they sound interesting, so I'll have to look for them... From the looks of things they're hard to find, so I just might have to order online or something. So, I guess what I mean to say is that I have no bragging rights whatsoever []
From: Kent, WA | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If you're into the deep study of all things Tolkien and want all the variable tellings of the tales they are worth getting. Libraries are a good source to get them without paying for them.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
túrë a enda
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11399
posted      Profile for túrë a enda   Email túrë a enda   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely checking the library first, always a good plan! [] The online checkout was plan b, if I couldn't find them in the library, if they are indeed as hard to find in America as others claim. [] Thanks for the advice, though! []
From: Kent, WA | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » History of Middle-earth » Brag about how many you've read!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help