Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Differences in the first edition?
Author Topic: Differences in the first edition?
laurelindo
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11348
posted      Profile for laurelindo   Email laurelindo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could you please tell me of a few differences in the 1937 edition of this book that were later changed?
I've heard that the meeting with Gollum was different, and that Gandalf was described differently ("little man" instead of "old man" or something along those lines).

Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
In The Hobbit Tolkien had described Gandalf as 'a little old man' for example, which though revised, was not altered to 'old man' until 1966 (according to the Annotated Hobbit). Much later (another late note) it seems Tolkien thought of Gandalf as short-ish in any case.

quote:
'...a figure strongly built and with broad shoulder, though shorter than the average of men and now stooped with age, leaning on a thick rough-cut staff as he trudged along... Gandalf's hat was wide-brimmed [...] with a pointed conical crown, and it was blue; he wore a long grey cloak, but this would not reach much below his knees. It was of an elven silver-grey hue, though tarnished by wear - as is evident from the general use of grey in the book... But his colours were always white, silver-grey, and blue - except for the boots he wore when walking in the wild...Gandalf even bent must have been at least 5 ft. 6... Which would make him a short man even in modern England, especially with the reduction of a bent back.'

JRRT, J. Rateliff, History of The Hobbit

Anyway, there are a lot of differences, but a major difference concerned the encounter with Bilbo and Gollum and the Ring -- which hadn't been imagined as the One Ring (and so on), at the time. The Annotated Hobbit describes the textual revisions -- if you can get a glance at a copy, this section is at the back (or used to be anyway). They are a bit numerous to list, but here's another example...

'Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciouss! If precious asks, and it doesn't answer, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we doesn't answer, we gives it a present, gollum!'

revised to...

'Does it guess easy? It must have a competition with us, my preciouss! If precious asks, and it doesn't answer, we eats it, my preciousss. If it asks us, and we doesn't answer, then we does what it wants, eh? We shows it the way out, yes!'

or (later)...

'Where iss it? Where iss it?' Bilbo heard him squeaking. 'Lost, lost, my preciouss, lost, lost! Bless us and splash us! We haven't the present we promised, and we haven't even got it for ourselves.'

revised to...

'Where iss it? Where iss it?' Bilbo heard him crying. 'Losst it is, my precious, lost lost! Curse us and crush us, my precious is lost!'

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Funny how that "present" part of the story fits right in with Bilbo's first story he told the others.
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Differences in the first edition?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help