Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » No mention of the River Anduin by name? (Page 2)
Author Topic: No mention of the River Anduin by name?
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Pi says:
quote:
As I look at this quote and think of Hobbits' ways, I find it curious that there was a need for the legal profession.
Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrows were auctioneers, not barristers.

Big difference. . . .

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
posted      Profile for The Flammifer   Email The Flammifer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In keeping with the original ?

Does anyone know if the words 'Orc' or 'Half-elven' are used anywhere in The Hobbit [] (book)

From: East Bight | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about Half-elven. My guess is that there are no examples, but I could be wrong; although I think it's suggested that Elrond was descended from Elves and Heroes of the North.

With respect to orc, besides the introductory note to the third edition and the compound Orcrist (both of which I doubt you mean), there are two instances: one appeared in the first edition, Tolkien adding another (when Bilbo tries to escape from Gollum) for the second edition published in 1951.

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flammifer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 11407
Thanks Galin

No, no “Half-elven” in The Hobbit.

And right; two instances of “orc” besides the introductory ed. which I don’t have:

Once at the end of “Riddles in the Dark” and
again just as Gandalf was leaving the Company at the western edge of Mirkwood.

Galin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4975
posted      Profile for Galin   Edit/Delete Post 
Those are them!

And for anyone who might stumble over a statement in letter 144 (1954), Tolkien wrote that "(goblin is used as a translation in The Hobbit, where orc only occurs once, I think)"

I guess Tolkien forgot for the moment that he had added one!

Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » No mention of the River Anduin by name? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help