profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles with Gollum
Author Topic: Riddles with Gollum
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Just a quick question. With hopefully a quick answer [] Did Tolkien make up the riddles which where in Riddles in the Dark himself or where they taken from older sources?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Both. From Rateliff:

The ”Thirty White Horses” riddle is an old nursery rhyme.

“No Legs” is Tolkien’s variant of an old class of riddles (often found today in Mother Goose).

The “Egg” riddle is also from a traditional nursery-rhyme, although it seems to have been reworked by Tolkien.

“Fish” comes almost directly from The Saga of King Heidrek the Wise.

“Daisy” is Tolkien playing philologist. (daeges eage (day’s eye’) through day’s e’e to daisy. He made this one up himself.

“Dark” and “Time” may have been influenced by old Icelandic riddles.

Now be aware that Tolkien himself claimed authorship for all of them except “Thirty White Horses” and “No Legs” in a letter to Allen & Unwin. The Professor may have been unconsciously influenced for some of them.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for that reply, Thorin. I did think that the Time riddle was the hardest one and seemed to have a twentieth-century input! Although, I have heard phrases like, 'Time conquers all,' before, but I'm not sure if it is post or pre the Hobbit! I have to say that when I first read the Hobbit, or had it first read to me at Primary school to be more accurate, I would have been eaten by Gollum, as I didn't get a single riddle correct. []
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2395

posted      Profile for Sam Gamgee   Email Sam Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien seems to have had a liking to take old nursery rhymes and make then his own. Don't forget what he did to "The Man In the Moon" in FotR.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"

From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think Tom Shippey has more to say on this. Perhaps in the Proceedings of Tolkien 2005?
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No one would see him, no one would notice him, till he had his fingers on their throat. Only a few hours ago he had worn it, and caught a small goblin-imp. How it squeaked! He still had a bone or two left to gnaw, but he wanted something softer.
I just want to say that Gollum is one proto-hobbit that can eat with the best of them!
From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Does good riddles as well. And Bilbo didn't win with a riddle!
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles with Gollum
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help