Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What is dragon-sickness?
Author Topic: What is dragon-sickness?
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What is ”dragon-sickness”?

quote:
The old Master had come to a bad end. Bard had given him much gold for the help of the Lake-people, but being of the kind that easily catches such disease he fell under the dragon-sickness, and took most of the gold and fled with it, and died of starvation in the Waste, deserted by his companions.

The Last Stage, The Hobbit

The Professor calls it a “disease.”
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Huh... I always thought that it wasn't an actual "disease" but more a local slang for avarice. A dragon collects treasure to lay on, when a person is guilty of avarice it would be called "dragon-sickness"...

[ 07-20-2007, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It seems related to what Thorin Oakenshield was contaminated with for a while, but which left him in the face of death, in time for him to make friends again with Bilbo before leaving him.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Previously I had always thought of it as simply greed. But now I wonder. Dragons were strange creatures. We know of the "dragon spell", such as Bilbo almost fell under and Turin did fall under. What about Glaurung's treasure in Nargothrond? There seemed some problems with that treasure as well.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've thought of it as simple greed as well. Having more money than one knows what to reasonably do with, yet still having the overwhelming desire to gather more. Now who does that remind me off? Wasn't there something called gold fever in the wild west I seem to remember from some old westerns?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien's friend C.S. Lewis takes this idea even further.

Eustace, one of the children in Voyage of the Dawn Treader, finds a dragon's treasure and considers how to keep it all for himself, not wanting to share anything with his friends. He spends the night in the dragon's cave, sleeping on the treasure - and wakes up the next morning to find that he has turned into a dragon.

From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eluchil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5432
posted      Profile for Eluchil   Author's Homepage   Email Eluchil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greed is also what I thought and think about []

quote:
What about Glaurung's treasure in Nargothrond? There seemed some problems with that treasure as well.
Mîm's curse ?
From: Menegroth, deep under the sea | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Yes, certainly Mim is involved. I was actually thinking of texts closer to the date of the composition of The Hobbit, such as in Book of Lost Tales II.113-14):

quote:
For has not Glorund lain long years upon [this gold], and the evil of the drakes of Melko is on it, and no good can it bring to Man or Elf…
And then we have this:

quote:
Now these were fair words and true, if proudly and grimly spoken; and Bilbo thought that Thorin would at once admit what justice was in them. He did not, of course, expect that any one would remember that it was he who discovered all by himself the dragon's weak spot; and that was just as well, for no one ever did. But also he did not reckon with the power that gold has upon which a dragon has long brooded, nor with dwarvish hearts. Long hours in the past days Thorin had spent in the treasury, and the lust of it was heavy on him. Though he had hunted chiefly for the Arkenstone, yet he had an eye for many another wonderful thing that was lying there, about which were wound old memories of the labours and the sorrows of his race.

The Gathering of the Clouds, The Hobbit, emphasis mine

What does this passage mean? Dragon-sickness comes upon one who is in contact with dragon-gold. Here we have a text stating that gold that a dragon has long brooded upon has “power.” What power? Why the dragon reference? If it was simply greed, I think it would apply to all gold, not just dragon-gold.

What about the power of Morgoth in gold? Any relation to this?

Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The vice avarice/greed is one of Catholicism's Seven Deadly Sins.

Just saying... []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Celebrían
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2057

posted      Profile for Celebrían   Email Celebrían   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
What's the difference between gold and dragon-gold, please?
From: First Homely House, Rivendell, Eriador | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like this gold has the power to instill greed in its owner; when Smaug talks to Bilbo about his share of the treasure, for example, Bilbo begins to distrust the Dwarves, and suspects them of trying to cheat him.
Dragons are very greedy in this way, and so the gold must have "absorbed" some of their greed to instill a similar reaction in others.
In a Christian context, this would apply to "mammon," i.e. the desire to possess wealth rather than to simply exercise proper stewardship over it, wherein money becomes the root of evil.

[ 07-21-2007, 04:38 PM: Message edited by: The Witch-King of Angmar ]

From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Celebrian, there may not be a difference. But I have the idea that there is one, subtle perhaps, but one none the less. If I'm right, then dragon-gold is simply gold that had been part of a dragon hord.

Like WiKi mentioned, I think that dragons laying upon treasure for years imparts some of their malice into the gold. Perhaps only the gold, because Morgoth's essence is more pronounced in gold than say, silver, as Morgoth's Ring points out.

I'm wondering if the effects of this is what is called "dragon-sickness."

The Witch-King of Angmar
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4899
posted      Profile for The Witch-King of Angmar   Email The Witch-King of Angmar   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that gold traditionally symbolizes corruption and ruin, while silver represents truth; this might even have some economic symbolism concerning problems of overvalued standard, as noted by various 19th century economists such as W.J. Bryan and Thomas Moore, and even the story "The Wizard of Oz" (i.e. gold-bricks leading to "emerald" green paper money: in L. Frank Baum's original story, Dorothy's slippers are silver—not ruby).
From: Los Angeles, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
If this phenomenom exists, it is not all-encompassing. Bilbo seems unaffected by his dragon gold (he even gives the last bit to Sam), and there are no hints that I am aware of that the Kingdom Under the Mountain was tainted by it. Perhaps like a "sickness" or "disease" it only contaiminated certain people. Seemingly those people with some sort of moral flaw like the old Master.
Nieninquë
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 6466
posted      Profile for Nieninquë   Email Nieninquë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember how the smoke and odour coming from the front gates of the mountain had a sickening effect.Maybe in the long run it's poisonous... []
Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think dragon-sickness comes not from the gold, but from the dragon. After Smaug's death, the owners of his hoard don't seem to suffer from unusual avarice or waste away in contemplation of their riches. As someone pointed out, Bilbo was known to be generous.
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Then again I think Thorin went a bit wierd over it!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Artaresto
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6089

posted      Profile for Artaresto   Email Artaresto   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
But weirder than the average dwarf over any gold?

[ 10-01-2007, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Artaresto ]

From: Forochel | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
Actually, Athene, this phenomenom does happen after the dragon dies. Look at the very first quote in this thread. Smaug was dead, the Master got some dragon-gold after Smaug's death, and he still fell under the sickness. A similar example may be found in Nargothrond.

I think the dragon does something, probably unconsciously, to the gold, and the gold is tainted thereafter even if the dragon dies. Morgoth's element (however one might describe that!) seems to be very prelevant in gold, and I wonder if this "element" is easily transferred via the dragons.

Captain of Gondor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5254

posted      Profile for Captain of Gondor   Author's Homepage   Email Captain of Gondor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, Morgoth would have made Dragon's gold almost a death trap, in order to keep people from taking it.
From: Ririe, Idaho | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

Looking at that, is the Master of Lake-town and Thorin, and indeed many Dwarfs so different from each other? They both seemed roughly to be on the side of good, but both suffered from dragon-sickness due to the Gold. Was it just that the narrator of the Hobbit was more fond of Thorin than the Master of Lake-town?
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

Well, we know that Thorin repented in the end (to Bilbo, at least), whereas we have no such information about the Master of Lake-town.

So perhaps Thorin was not as severely affected by the dragon-sickness.

Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
I think dragon-sickness affected different people in different ways. Bilbo seemed fine after contact with it; the Master went off the deep end.

A similar process happened with the Ring. Sam was able to resist its lure to a point; Boromir was not.

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What is dragon-sickness?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help