Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 8)
Author Topic: Riddles in the Dark III
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was the first - carry on Master Treebeard. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There are two Aces and a Jack on the table in a Row. You have to point to one of the Cards and ask me one 'Yes or NO" Question, and with certainity identify one of the cards as an Ace. If you point at a Ace, then I will give truthful answer. If you point at a Jack, then I will give a random Yes or NO answer. What is the Question, and how will you find the Ace?
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'd point to one of the end cards and ask 'Is the card next to this one an Ace?'

If the answer was a 'Yes', I'd pick the middle card as the Ace and if the answer was a 'No' then I'd pick the card at the other end as the Ace.

*thinks whether it's time to take the new car to Vegas*

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

The solution is Correct Mr. Castle. But then the reasoning is probably not clear to us mere mortals! So please give the reasoning and Puzzle away!
From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Don't remind me of mere mortals, they made me one of them by disposing of that puny Ring. []

AAJ
AJA
JAA

Those are the three possible lineups from the end card chosen. First two are answered truthfully and the last one arbitrarily. One can see that if the answer is a 'Yes' it rules out the second lineup, which means that the middle card has to be an ace. If the answer is 'No' then it rules out the first lineup in which case the end card is an ace.

Now for the new question:

What goes all around but still remains in a corner?

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Broom or a Vacuum Cleaner? (I know its two answers, but both are of the same kind.. [] )

[ 12-04-2005, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A clock [or the hands thereof]?
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Neigh, take your time and sweep out some other corners.
Durthdil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3873
posted      Profile for Durthdil   Email Durthdil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean Minas Tirith?

-

[ 12-06-2005, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Durthdil ]

From: Europe | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Now I wish I had thought of that, Durthdil!

The riddle is a well known one though and not my own.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

A wheel of some sort. I'll start with saying Steering Wheel of the Car.

[ 12-07-2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

Before we go around in circles, let me rephrase the question:

What goes everywhere but still remains in a corner?

If nobody guesses within a day, I award the next turn to Durthdil.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Air?
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

That's one way in which the answer can get everywhere.
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

THe interpretation of this Riddle, and hence the Solution is very subjective. Without further qualifiers, it is very difficult to arrive at the exact solution in your mind. I can argue that all the answers I gave fit the description, and hence are valid solutions. But then they dont confirm to some unspecified qualifier! My view of it is that, the riddles asked should have only a unique answer, and only that answer should fit the description properly and completely( Necessary and sufficient).
But then, it is only silly old me's view, and need not be bother about too much. []

Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

I agree. The answer for the riddle that I read was 'a stamp'.

Durthdil, your turn, since I liked your answer the best!

Durthdil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3873
posted      Profile for Durthdil   Email Durthdil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Lugbúrz, at last this strange imagination I have has brought some nice rewards!

Now, too bad, I do not have a real riddle, so we go back to Maths in the dark (sp.) []

The rule is easy, you can use any mathematical sign (operator?) that you want between the figures, but every row has to be at the end equal to 6, here it is:

0 0 0 = 6
1 1 1 = 6
2 2 2 = 6
3 3 3 = 6
4 4 4 = 6
5 5 5 = 6
6 6 6 = 6
7 7 7 = 6
8 8 8 = 6
9 9 9 = 6

Good luck!

From: Europe | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

! - Means Factorial
Sqrt - Means Square Root of
Cubrt - Means Cube Root of.
Cos - Means Cosine

Let me know if usage of above is allowed!

(cos(0)+cos(0)+cos(0))! = 6
(1+1+1)! = 6
2+2+2 = 6
3*3-3 = 6
4+4- Sqrt(4) = 6
5+(5/5) = 6
6+6-6 = 6
7-(7/7) = 6
Cubrt(8)+Cubrt(8)+Cubrt(8) = 6
(9+9)/Sqrt(9) = 6

[ 12-12-2005, 02:36 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Durthdil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3873
Congratulations, Fangorn, very fast indeed.
[]
Your turn!

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Below is Square with one/fourth of it Shaded. Made the Dotted Region into Four Identical (Same size and shape) parts.

-

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Since Fangorn "stole" the previous riddle (well, I couldn't find a way to do it with the 0 0 0 line [] Never thought about using cos [] ) I'll answer this one...

I've quickly drawn the answer using paint []

-

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Was Geometry your favourite subject at School? []
Anyway, you got what I thought was a tricksy one straight away!

Well Done.. Your turn. []

Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit I spent a few hours on that problem once... When I was around 7 years old. My grand-pa often presented me such riddles, if I found the solution then he bought me candies ("food for the brain" as he called it) []

Okay, I'll once again stop the mathematical trend:

Add punctuation to the following phrase to make something gramatically and logically coherent:

is is not not not is not is is is is not is not is it not

That should be solved easily []

[ 12-12-2005, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: Nash Rómerandir ]

From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

*cannot believe nobody solved that one yet* []
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

Come on! I just put that one because I couldn't think of a proper one... Someone answer it and post a "real one"! []
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 8)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help