Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 13)
Author Topic: Riddles in the Dark III
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
posted      Profile for Leto Atreides   Author's Homepage   Email Leto Atreides   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, on to the next riddle then. I don't want to keep monitoring this thread waiting for a response.
From: Caladan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Not so quickly, Master Leto. I have severe difficulties finding the time to calculate the answers, let alone concoct a new riddle. But your riddle is not too difficult. It boils down to:

x = x/6 + x/12 + x/7 + 5 + x/2 + 4
ergo x = 14x/84 + 7x/84 + 12x/84 + 42x/84 + 5 + 4
ergo x - 75x/84 = 9
ergo 9x/84 = 9
ergo x = 84

So Diophantus lived for 84 years.

From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
posted      Profile for Leto Atreides   Author's Homepage   Email Leto Atreides   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
well done,

Diophantus did live to the ripe old age of 84 years.

From: Caladan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In an effort to try and revive some of these literary forums here is a new riddle:

A woman shoots her husband.
Then she holds him under water for over 5 minutes.
Finally, she hangs him.
But 5 minutes later they both go out together and enjoy a wonderful dinner together.
How can this be?

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
posted      Profile for Mithrennaith   Author's Homepage   Email Mithrennaith   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Photography.
From: Amsterdam, Netherlands | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I really stink at riddles. But you are correct. You're turn!
From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Well, I'm not much better, I think.

I'll try something.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Mith - With your permission - I will post a riddle if you dont have any right now..
Bilbo gave Red Caps and Green Caps to the 144 guests (He didnt count how many Red, how many Green, just totalling 144) - he invited in the Party Tent and told them : "Free wonderful Gifts to all of you, if all of you assemble outside in a line with Red Caps on one side and Green caps on the other. No Gifts, if you 'Communicate' to each other!". Ofcourse it was dark in the Tent and nobody could know which was the colour of their own caps. Still the Shrewd "Gross" achieved it, and collected their gifts. How did they do it?

PS:
They couldnt see the colour of the caps when they put it on - and arent allowed to remove it after they put it on and went out.

[ 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Red caps had longer bips to them?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think this might work:

People slot themselves into the line one at a time. So long as there is only one colour of hat in the line, they join an end. As soon as there are two colours already present, they join at the dividing point. Then given that the two colours were properly separated before hand they still will be.

My only worry with this is that organising themselves to join one at a time doesn't sound very hobbit-like (especially at a big party like that!), so this would almost certainly need some communication. But realistically I just don't think they'd manage it if left to their own devices. It should be noted that even the joining the line at the right point and getting people to budge up to make room involves a certain amount of implicit communication.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Laur Very Good solution. But how does the last guy sort himself out? And implicit communication is allowed as you deduced.

[ 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Durthdil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3873
posted      Profile for Durthdil   Email Durthdil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Fangorn, the last one just go in between the two hobbits with different hats that are together... The solution works, you may have another though.
From: Europe | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

I am Happy with the answer. Laur or anybody else can have a go.
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
OK, but I'd like to hear your solution as well.
From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
So would I, this being the second time you've teased us with this.
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

My Solution is not much different from Laur's. However I am trying to make two lines, Laur made it into a single line. I realized this is because of the way I asked the Question - hence I didnt raise objection to that.

1. All hobbits Queue up one bye one.
2. Number1 stands in a random spot. Number2 joins behind him.
3. Number 3 joins 1&2 if they are both of same colour. If they are not, he stalls. Number2 understands the stall and starts a new line. Number3 joins behind him.
4. After two lines are formed if any line has differing colour at the end, then the next hobbit doesnt join the line - but stalls - so that that error is rectified.
So on.
4. The last person stands in a seperate spot. The Hobbits in the line with same colour as him Queue up behind him.

This is my solution - however I am trying to find any alternative solutions on the web - but without much success.

[ 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
Fantastic riddle!
Mithrennaith
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5239
Dark Queen Iaur, you were seeking for a riddle game?
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 13)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help