Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 12)
Author Topic: Riddles in the Dark III
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
posted      Profile for Q   Email Q   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Does Fangorn have a sort of riddle for us?
Would he be so inclined to acquiesce to my request? []

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

posted      Profile for Fangorn   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Farmer Maggot catches young Merry, Pippin, Frodo, Bolger an Sam in his Mushroom fields. Maggot shrewdly guesses that only one of them is the real theif, and others are just their for moral support. When he asks who is the real thief, these are their responses:

Merry: it wasn't Bolger
it was Pippin

Pippin: it wasn't Sam
it wasn't Bolger

Sam: it was Bolger
it wasn't Merry

Frodo: it was Sam
it was Pippin

Bolger: it was Frodo
it wasn't Merry

It was well known that each of them told exactly one lie. Can you determine who is the real theif?

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

It can rather easily be deduced from Merry and Pippin's statements alone. Given Pippin's assertions that it was neither Sam nor Bolger, and the fact that one of these is a lie, it is clear to see that it must be one of them.
Given Merry's statements and the fact that we know it must be either Sam or Bolger, we can therefore see that his statement that it was Pippin must be a lie, leaving us to know that it wasn't Bolger, and must therefore, be Sam.

From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Very good Meneldil []
It can be deduced from Merry and Pippin's statements alone, thought the consistency of the others statements need to be checked, once the solution is got.

Your turn.

From: Bangalore | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

posted      Profile for Meneldil   Email Meneldil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And it was checked indeed. []
Four men sat down to play,
They played all night 'til break of day.
They played for gold and not for fun,
With separate scores for everyone,
And when they came to square accounts,
They each had made quite fair amounts.
But can you this paradox explain:
If no one lost, how did all gain?

I'm afraid this is fairly well known, but quite a nice one, I feel. []

From: Guildford, England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shards of Narsil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2056

posted      Profile for Shards of Narsil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a group of musicians playing a gig. []
Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Meneldil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 417

Shards of Narsil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2056

posted      Profile for Shards of Narsil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This ones is just a matter of logic, but I like it.

Brothers or sisters have I none, but that mans father is my fathers son.

Who is that man (in relation to the speaker)?

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Son.
Shards of Narsil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2056

Correct!
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Bilbo gave Red Caps and Green Caps to the 144 guests (He didnt count how many Red, how many Green, just totalling 144) - he invited in the Party Tent and told them : "Free wonderful Gifts to all of you, if all of you assemble outside in a line with Red Caps on one side and Green caps on the other. No Gifts, if you 'Communicate' to each other!".
Ofcourse it was dark in the Tent and nobody could know which was the colour of their own caps.

Still the Shrewd "Gross" achieved it, and collected their gifts. How did they do it?

EDIT: Talk replaced by 'Communicate'. By this I mean, they should not convey any information by each other, verbally or by gestures etc.

[ 06-06-2006, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Fangorn ]

Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
I know...when Bilbo discovered that they were lined up wrong they stormed the tent wealding dinner forks.

More likely they stood in the line until the sun came up over the horizon and shed light on which hoods were green and which were red. This would allow them to shift into the appropriate lines. []

[ 06-06-2006, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: MANDOS ]

From: LOS ANGELES, CA. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Mandos, it was dark inside tent, so they didnt know what colour of the cap was given to them. They were told to assemble OUTSIDE, and hence could see the colour of others caps. But that automatically doesnt ensure they can stand appropriately without communication. How they did it is what needs to be described (the method)!
Q
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5312
Are you saying that they could talk to the sun and make him rise? [] If not, than why would they need to talk to each other in order to wait for the sun to rise?

Wouldn't they just prick a little tiny hole in the side of the tent and let in a ray of light so that the outside light would flow inside? Or take apart the tent altogether so there would be more space for light to come in?

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

quote:
Are you saying that they could talk to the sun and make him rise? If not, than why would they need to talk to each other in order to wait for the sun to rise?
What the hell are you talking about? Where is the SUN RISE in the Question at all?

They should not talk to each other, so as to not communicate what colour each others hats are. The point is they can only see others hats, but dont know the colour of their own hats. So, they cant decide which side of the line to stand on. Still they achieve it. How is what needs to be described.
No more explanations, if you go on another tangent.

Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If they could see each other's caps, then one hobbit could start sorting the others into two groups, and then when he had done everyone else the group that had his colour cap could go and get him. Of course, by then they would know what colours their caps were because they would be standing with a group of the same colour.

I know that's not the answer, but it'd work.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Athene - Thanks for a Sane statement. Sanity is returning to me slowly.

However - They should not communicate to each other. I know I wrote it as 'Talk', I will change it now. So, one guy cannot by fingers show some one else where to stand. They should just go and stand and form a line in the end. BTW, its not groups, But a single line, with RED on one side and GREEN on the other.

Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

edward - Welcome to Minas Tirith.
If you would like to post a riddle in this thread, you need to solve the current outstanding riddle. Look up the page for a riddle posted by me in block letters. Happy riddling.
And welcome again!

Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, one hobbit could have a mirror and show everyone the color of their hat in it and everything would work. But that isn't the answer you are looking for. Or for that metter why can't the hobbits take off their hats and look then assemble that way. Just thinking outside the box...
From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fangorn
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4070

Sepiroth - Good trys. This puzzle is about logical thinking, not lateral. Hence those actions you mentioned are not to be done.
I guess this puzzle has been outstanding for too long. I will just throw open the thread for anyone to pose a question.

Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

posted      Profile for Sepiroth Strife   Email Sepiroth Strife   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
With that said I've found a riddle.

A woman who lived in germany during world war two wanted to cross the german/swiss border in order to escape nazi persuers. The bridge which she is to cross is a half mile across, over a large canyon. Every three minutes a guard comes out of his bunker and checks if anyone is on the bridge. If a person is caught trying to escape german side to the swiss side they are shot. If caught crossing the other direction without papers they are sent back. She knows that it takes at least five minutes to cross the bridge, in which time the guard will see her crossing and shoot her. How does she get across?

Edit: forgot the end bold sign

[ 10-24-2006, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Sepiroth Strife ]

From: Temple, Texas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
posted      Profile for Leto Atreides   Author's Homepage   Email Leto Atreides   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be that the woman has to walk half way accross then pretend to be a swede heading towards germany?
From: Caladan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sepiroth Strife
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2646

yeah
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
posted      Profile for Leto Atreides   Author's Homepage   Email Leto Atreides   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
hahaha, that was quick

Its been ages since i visited "Riddles in the Dark", so i'll give you a mathematical riddle if you don't mind.

'Here lies Diophantus,' the wonder behold. Through art algebraic, the stone tells how old: 'God gave him his boyhood one-sixth of his life, One twelfth more as youth while whiskers grew rife; And then yet one-seventh ere marriage begun; In five years there came a bouncing new son. Alas, the dear child of master and sage After attaining half the measure of his father's life chill fate took him. After consoling his fate by the science of numbers for four years, he ended his life.'

Good luck

From: Caladan | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto Atreides
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4450
Oh come on, someone must be able to solve it.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Riddles in the Dark III (Page 12)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help