Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Backward River Flow?
Author Topic: Backward River Flow?
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This question branches from the recent one about the enchanted river. As I was looking at the map to determine the enchanted river's possible source in Mirkwood, I noticed that that particular river actually branches off backwards. One would expect the river to branch off southeastward, since the Forest River's source is the Grey Mountains in the Northwest. However, the enchanted river branches off southwestward, insinuating that its source is the Forest River via Long Lake.

Any ideas?

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Azog
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4020

posted      Profile for Azog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Mighty Musnud, I am a bit confused with what you are saying. According to the map of Wilderland John Tolkien put into the Hobbit, it appears that the source for the Enchanted River is the Mountains of Mirkwood. It flows northwest, then northeast from there into the Forest River, which flows to the Long Lake. On the opposite side of the Mountains of Mirkwood, another (unnamed) river flows southeast to join the River Running just north of the Old Forest Road.

[ 11-12-2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: Azog ]

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Acta est fabula.

From: κόλαση | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Eryndil
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3905

posted      Profile for Eryndil   Email Eryndil   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I am also confused, TMMü. There does not appear to be this problem in my edition of The Hobbit, where the map is the same as here
From: Salford, UK | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, let me be more concise here. Everybody has been saying that the Enchanted River is a tributary of the Forest River. By definition, a tributary is a small river that "flows out" of a larger one. So, if the Enchanted River is a tributary of the Forest River (which is flowing Southeast), the Enchanted River should also be flowing South or Southeast.
However the map clearly shows the Enchanted River flowing out of the Forest River in a Southwesterly direction. This would seem to indicate that the riverflow is actually heading North from Laketown on up to the Grey Mountains (in other words, the river is flowing backwards).

You might make the argument that the Enchanted River is not a tributary of the Forest River, that it in fact flows "into" the Forest River with its source in the Mountains of Mirkwood. This would fit with the map drawing. However, it goes against one of the basic fundamentals of our world: rivers always flow South. The one exception to this rule in our world is the Nile, which as far as I am aware, is the only river in the world that runs from the South to the North.
This leds me to the conflict with Tolkien's original intention, that M-E is actually our own world in the past. If this is the case, then there can be only one conclusion, the Enchanted River grew larger and larger over the years. Eventually it overtook the Forest River and pulled its path further Southeast. In time the region of Dale flooded, and the Lake grew into a large sea.
Since there is only one river in the world that flows from South to Noth, then the Enchanted River must be what is now known as the Nile, and the area where Laketown used to be has become the Mediterranean Sea. []

Well, there's some hypothesizing for you. What do you guys think?

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Well, on the river flowing, it always flows from high to low. And the Mackenzie River of Canada flows into the Arctic ocean, from central Canada.
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
A tributary is a "stream or river flowing into a larger stream or river" (American Heritage dictionary). The enchanted river flows into the Forest River and the Forest River flows into the River Running and that flows into the Sea of Rhun and all is well with the world EXCEPT does the Sea of Rhun have an outlet?

Actually I remember being startled a few years ago when the Red River flooded a town in, i believe, the Dakotas, and the news stories described it as flowing North. So there are rivers that do so.

Edit: My memory is not entirely gone! Here is a link: Geology Behind Flood on Red River

[ 11-12-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Miz Lobelia ]

From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3303

posted      Profile for GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   Email GLAMDRING The Foe Hammer   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
By definition, a tributary is a small river that "flows out" of a larger one.
Um, no. It is the other way around. A tributary flows INTO a river not out of it. In fact I can't think of a single instance where a stream would flow OUT of a river unless it is part of a delta.

This misunderstanding might be the cause of your confusion with the map.

From: Cary NC | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Erinti
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3470

posted      Profile for Erinti   Email Erinti   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I also wonder where your erroneous belief that all rivers flow south comes from. There are several rivers that flow to other directions; for example, the great rivers of Siberia flow north into the Arctic Ocean, many rivers in Central Europe (e.g. Rhine, Meuse/Maas, Oder)flow north, northwest or west into the Atlantic or the Baltic Sea, etc.

Just study your world atlas a bit more carefully.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to those who think they've found it. ~ Terry Pratchett

From: Somewhere out there | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, there are very big rivers in Siberia, all flowing to the North. They're far bigger than the rivers of Europe. Btw, the Danube and the Amazon flow roughly West to East, the Chinese rivers also, the Congo East to West. There's one real odd river in South America (the Orinoco) which flows North (to the Caribean) and also South (into the Amazon)!!

[ 11-13-2003, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: Earendilyon ]

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eulalia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2417

posted      Profile for Eulalia   Author's Homepage   Email Eulalia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some rivers have tides, too (like the Thames), that temporarily reverse their direction of flow.
From: kansas city, mo | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Enchanted River is too far away from any sea to be influenced by the tides.

Btw, the Thames also flows West to East []

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

[] [] []

Please excuse everything I said yesterday. I was functioning off two hours of sleep, and apparently everything was getting mixed up/turned around in my head. Of course tributaries "flow into" a large stream (hence the root word trib, which I believe means to add a la "contribution").
I do recall reading somewhere about the Nile being unique in its propensity to flow North. Perhaps it's the only major river to flow North?
At any rate, I'll delete this thread soon unless somebody feels it needs to be saved...

[] [] []

Roll of Honor Wandering Tuor
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that in the U.S., most rivers flow south. There are some exceptions, but that is the general rule. Somehow it feels like going downhill.

Don't feel bad, MM. I asked in a Silmarilion thread a week or so ago who the heck this mysterious "Second House of the Edain" was. []

From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Gandalf the White
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 295

posted      Profile for Gandalf the White   Email Gandalf the White   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reminded of this thread, although I think that incident was even better this one []
From: Georgia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

posted      Profile for Wandering Tuor   Email Wandering Tuor   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] []
From: My place | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Really GtW? I was more reminded of this thread... [] []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faramir Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3268

posted      Profile for Faramir Took   Email Faramir Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And the Mackenzie River of Canada flows into the Arctic ocean,
The Mackenzie is the major river of Northwestern Central Canada, so, not really.
From: Joisey | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Curse you, Singollo!

MM, you better not delete this. If Telperion and I can leave up our public idiocy, so can you. []

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

Alright Thorin... *sits next to Thorin and Telperion in the local idiot's lounge* ...just make sure to flag me down when somebody joins us... []
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, you guys can come out now.
Basically, rivers flow downhill in the path of least resistance, which ever direction that may be at any given point.

From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inc'
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 6274

posted      Profile for Inc'   Email Inc'   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ thread.
From: Yoshi's Island | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snöwdog
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 15

posted      Profile for Snöwdog   Author's Homepage   Email Snöwdog   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] @ Inc's [] @ thread.
From: In the Shadows of Annuminas | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Varnafindë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4097

posted      Profile for Varnafindë   Author's Homepage   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I second that.
From: Narnia, also connected with Norway | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1685

The origin of the word ampersand (Singo's link) is interesting; I had learned this from the wonderful History of the English Language podcast.
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Backward River Flow?
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help