profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » The talking purse
Author Topic: The talking purse
Roll of Honor Roccowen Eilonwyiel
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
When Bilbo picked the pocket of William the troll he removed a purse. As it left the troll's pocket it said "'Ere 'oo are you". What is the purse and why does it talk?

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"I will love you forever, whatever happens. Till I die and after I die, and when I find my way out of the land of the dead, I'll drift about forever, all my atoms, till I find you again..."

The Amber Spyglass

From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
All that is said of the purse in The Hobbit is this,
quote:
Trolls' purses are a mischief, and this was no exception.
It would appear from this that they were quite common amongst trolls.
However, when we look at trolls they are portrayed as being slow witted, cumbersome creatures and it seems very doubtful that trolls would have the skill or indeed the knowhow to create something as amazing as a talking purse.
It seems more probable that Williams purse was the result of plunder, just as Orcrist and Glamdring the ancient elven swords were. Whom and of what race such a fanciful item would have belonged to I have not a clue []

From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
* peers into gigantic can of worms that Rochwen of Limlight just opened *

Well, let's see. Evidently the purse was sentient, and had life. If the purse was sentient, it would be no small leap to say that the Ring was sentient, since it also looked after itself. The Ring is the only other non-living item we know of that was sentient. Oh, wait. There's also Turin's sword Anglachel / Gurthang. Gurthang spoke as well. Okay, so the Ring and Turin's sword were the only other non-living things we know of that were sentient. So we know Sauron created the Ring, and Eöl the Dark Elf created Anglachel, which was later re-forged as Gurthang by the smiths of Nargothrond. Sauron and Eöl are the only beings we know of that could create a sentient thingamabob. Eöl may have wanted a talking purse so he would have something to talk to when he was not kidnapping hot maidens, or perhaps Sauron wanted a talking purse so the Ring would have something to talk to when the Dark Lord was busy conquering the world. So we can be certain that either Eöl or Sauron created Bill's talking purse.

Or perhaps the Hobbit is just a children's story.

Note: I would like to apologize to the entire MT citizenry for this post. I will go stand in a corner as punishment.

From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dolmed
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3831

posted      Profile for Dolmed   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
[] [] []
From: At home chilling in front of the PC , watching some TV | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

posted      Profile for Roccowen Eilonwyiel   Author's Homepage   Email Roccowen Eilonwyiel   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe though that the Ring or Gurthag had any real lines. This purse actually squeaked.
From: waiting in a hall, watching a silhouetted figure through a doorway | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Elentári Tintallë
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3734

posted      Profile for Elentári Tintallë   Email Elentári Tintallë   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Rochwen, Gurthang did speak to Turin
quote:
And from the blade ran a cold voice in answer: 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, for so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brandir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swifltly.

From: Nórë Vercieva- i Opelë | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

Ahh, yes, quite, indeed.
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always assumed that the purse couldn't carry a conversation... it was just magically endowed to speak when someone was trying to purloin something from it... you know, like a car alarm. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3727

For some reason it always put the image of a purse made from the fur of a ferret and the ferret says this
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » The talking purse
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help