Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library

Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Welcome to the Hobbit forum!
Author Topic: Welcome to the Hobbit forum!
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings, and welcome to the forum for The Hobbit.
There is a spare seat by the fire, and if my ears do not deceive me, the kettle is just beginning to sing. I hope that you will enjoy your stay here.

If you are new to the City and have not yet done so, it might be profitable for you to read the Frequently Asked Questions section, and the City Code of Law and Ethics.

Below is an overview of what this forum should be used for, and how.
Further down there are:
Summaries and links to some of the literary threads
Explanations and links to the game threads

This is the place for all discussions most concerned with The Hobbit, or There and Back Again as the estimable Mr Baggins styled it.
Although you don't need to have read the book to post here, unless you say otherwise, people will often assume knowledge of both it and The Lord of the Rings (LR). Tolkien's mythology was continuous across different works, so it is not uncommon for other books (particularly the more 'hobbitish' parts of LR and the Quest of Erebor chapter in Unfinished Tales) to be relevant to the discussions here. Please do not refrain from using them!

The exception to this is the trivia. In any of the game threads, questions should normally be answerable using only The Hobbit.

Many topics have already been discussed before (although this forum is substantially smaller than others), and the received etiquette before posting a new topic is to run a search through old topics to see if the same issue has been discussed before.
For instance, if I wished to find topics about how Beorn was a skin-changer, I might search for "Beorn skin", and be directed (most relevantly) to this topic.
It is generally preferable to continue an existing thread than to post a new one. On the other hand, if your topic is only on a related issue, it may be better to start a new thread to avoid diverting another one too much. Use common sense and you won't go far wrong. []

Enjoy reading and posting in the forum, and I hope to see you there!

[ 06-01-2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Literary Threads

Remember to search through old topics before posting a new thread.

There are many threads in this forum, and almost all of them reward you with something on reading them through. This is a short list of threads which I feel will be of most interest to those who enjoyed the story of Bilbo's adventure, and are intrigued by the world behind it. It is of neccessity exclusive, to avoid being a useless duplicate of the topic list of the forum (which I hope that people will browse), but will hopefully prove an aid both to those wishing to find good discussion, and to these discussions.

Moon-letters - how did they work?

The attack on Dol Guldur - how and why?

Stone Giants - what were they?

Location of Dorwinion

Elf powers in The Hobbit - a discussion of how elves in this work differ from those in Tolkien's other works.

Is The Hobbit a children's story?

Orcrist, Goblin-cleaver - how did the goblins recognise it?

Bilbo's boots - did Bilbo wear boots for the journey after Rivendell?

Are dragons immortal?

Is The Hobbit accurate? - a discussion on whether this work is a reliable source of information on Middle-earth.

Beorn - who or what was he?

Of some interest may be the original 'Riddles in the Dark' chapter (link kindly supplied in a thread in this forum by Marcho Blackwood, MSS).

Also, some of the topics in the Library Council are relevant to this book (and all there are well-worth reading).

[ 06-01-2003, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Game threads:

This forum contains, among other things, several 'game' threads in which you can pit your wits and knowledge of the book against those of others:

Trivia
Scramble
Odd Man Out
Who said that?
To WHOM was it spoken?
Riddles in the Dark (the game) - this is currently the most active of many 'riddle game' threads, some in this forum, some elsewhere.

The basic rules for trivia that can be found in the FAQ are applicable to all of the game threads; what follows assumes those as given:

Trivia:
This is the full out, no-holes-barred trivia. Any form of question (so long as it pertains to the book) is acceptable, and it often garners the hardest puzzles. Reference to books and e-texts are fully permitted.

Scramble:
The idea here is to rearrange the letters in the puzzle to form some name or phrase from the book. Hints are sometimes given, either explicitly, or embedded in a story surrounding the scramble or the scramble itself! Contrary to the rules given in the FAQ, the convention at the moment seems to be not to include punctuation, and to replace any special characters with their 'normal' equivalent (although there aren't a huge number of special characters appearing in TH [] )

Odd Man Out:
In this, the puzzle consists of a list of people, places or things, all but one of which share a common (and at least slightly odd) feature. The idea is to identify the feature, and which one has it not.
e.g. Bilbo, Gandalf, Smaug, Bard, Thorin
It should be stressed that the answer is not arrived at by looking for the odd man out, but by looking for the defining characteristic of the others. 'Smaug is the OMO because he's the only one who can fly' would be a poor answer to this, as 'not-flying' isn't at all an unusual trait to link the others together with. The answer I had in mind when I devised this (rather poor) example, on the other hand, was 'Bard is the only one not to blow smoke.' Gandalf, Bilbo and Thorin all smoked pipes (and blew smoke-rings), and Smaug blew smoke by virtue of being a dragon [] . Blowing smoke is a trait that less than half of characters have, at any rate, so Bard is a valid OMO.

Who said that?
The questioner gives a line from the books, and people must guess who said it. Using an electronic search on an e-text is (although undectable) considered cheating, but paper copies are allowable.

To WHOM was it spoken?
As 'Who said that?', but the guessers must instead say whom the line was said to.

Riddles in the Dark:
This game is different to the others in that it is not really concerned with the contents of The Hobbt. Instead, it is a replica of the riddle game that Bilbo and Gollum played: people ask riddles, and attempt to guess them.

Finally, although it is not in this forum, The Password Game is a trivia thread which can encompass any of Tolkien's works, and may be worth a look for those interested in these games.

[ 05-29-2003, 05:20 PM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

Roll of Honor Miz Lobelia
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1612

posted      Profile for Miz Lobelia   Email Miz Lobelia   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much to you and to Marcho for the link to the original "Riddles in the Dark" which I had never read (but have now!). I've always been curious about that.
From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
And if you would like a text file of the original version of the chapter:

Original "Riddles in the Dark"

Note: This will work better if you save the file and then open it in a text browser. Otherwise, every paragraph is on a single line.

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katrina
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 4377

posted      Profile for Katrina   Email Katrina   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I love the hobbit []
From: Fike Nation | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smudge of Lothlorien
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 4984
posted      Profile for Smudge of Lothlorien   Email Smudge of Lothlorien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the Hobbit
Ditto []
From: Staffordshire, England, Middle-Earth | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Welcome to the Hobbit forum!
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: UnStick Topic   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help