Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What are the Stone Giants? (Page 2)
Author Topic: What are the Stone Giants?
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
"A more or less decent giant" doesn't really fit with the mountain troll theory either... don't think any trolls were decent, more OR less. []

It might not be permitted, but the The Misty Mountain Hop is a great song. []

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Hee, I knew someone would get the reference. []

Gotta say, didn't think it would be you, Dancing Queen. [] [] [] ( [] )

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I try to be well balanced... there's a time for disco and sequins and a time for rock and doobies. []
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Some people are born quotable. It's just not fair. []
From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"A more or less decent giant" doesn't really fit with the mountain troll theory either
Oh I dunno, Bert & the boys seemed more or less decent to me.. for trolls that is. A troll's gotta eat too ya know. []

Not sure if I ever thought it was an actual troll as much as something along the lines of a troll in that i envision the giants being physically large and mentally challenged. I mean honestly, how smart can they be if they're having a rock fight on a mountain top? Plus I can't imagine Gandalf struggling much convincing one with a troll level intellect to block up that goblin gate. If he can manipulate Beorn he can certainly manipulate Tom.

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Trolls, Giants, Bear shaped huge men, ohmy!
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

[] []
[chants]Giants and Nazgûl and Beorn, oh my![/chants]

Roll of Honor pi
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5374

posted      Profile for pi   Author's Homepage   Email pi   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but aren't giants mentioned in LotR in the "Ring goes South"?
Do you mean these remarks?

quote:
'Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name, said Gimli, `long years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.'
`It matters little who is the enemy, if we cannot beat off his attack,
said Gandalf.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
`We cannot go further tonight,' said Boromir. `Let those call it the wind who will; there are fell voices on the air; and these stones are aimed at us.'
`I do call it the wind,' said Aragorn. `But that does not make what you say untrue. There are many evil and unfriendly things in the world that have little love for those that go on two legs, and yet are not in league with Sauron, but have purposes of their own. Some have been in this world longer than he.'
'Caradhras was called the Cruel, and had an ill name, said Gimli, `long years ago, when rumour of Sauron had not been heard in these lands.'
`It matters little who is the enemy, if we cannot beat off his attack, said Gandalf.

From: Virgo Supercluster, 40º N 75º W | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michael Martinez
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3602
posted      Profile for Michael Martinez   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Martinez   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think giants are one of the great inconsistencies of the Middle-earth books. Tolkien tried to bring an evil giant into the sequel but that character eventually morphed into Treebeard -- who, standing at least 14 feet tall must have seemed gigantic even to Men and Elves, but he wasn't a "giant" like those mentioned in The Hobbit.

Lacking any further reference to these giants, we much conclude that they were either creatures living in the Misty Mountains with no real desire to leave them, or perhaps they were trolls of a sort.

It has been noted many times through the years that the Ettenmoors north of Rivendell are named with a word that can refer to both giants and trolls (etten, ettin).

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Author of Visualizing Middle-earth, Parma Endorion: Essays on Middle-earth, 3rd edition, and Understanding Middle-earth.

A new Middle-earth archive...
Middle-earth.Xenite.Org

From: Seattle | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What are the Stone Giants? (Page 2)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help