Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What are the Stone Giants? (Page 1)
Author Topic: What are the Stone Giants?
Telperion
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1636

posted      Profile for Telperion   Email Telperion   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when he peeped out in the lightning-flashes, he saw that across the valley the stone-giants were out, and were hurling rocks at one another for a game, and catching them, and tossing them down into the darkness where they smashed among the trees far below, or splintered into little bits with a bang.

over hill and under hill

Don't know if this was discussed before. What are these stone giants?
From: Israel, North East of Tel Aviv | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
There was a bit of discussion on it here, but that didn't seem to come to a definitive answer.

Personally, I suppose I think of them as almost 'spirits of nature', bound to the mountains.

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vladmiyr
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 2792
posted      Profile for Vladmiyr   Email Vladmiyr   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought It was boulders being misplaced by the wind, and falling and bouncing off the mountain sides on the way down.
From: AZ,USA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor theWhiteLady
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1409

posted      Profile for theWhiteLady   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
For some reasons, I always associated the stone-giant with some form of troll. I'm not sure why I've always thought this, but it reminds me of the book 'Prince Caspian' in the Narnia series. CS Lewis describes some kind of giants that would throw rocks at each other for amusement; the descriptions he gave made me think back to this passage from the Hobbit.
From: Tennessee | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I thought they were, as has already been said, spirits of the mountains. But I will go further to say that they were actually part of the mountains themselves. Just like in the film, where Saruman is telling the mountains to bring the wrath on his enemies, and gandalf was telling them to sleep.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have my books with me just now, but aren't giants mentioned in LotR in the "Ring goes South"? I may be wrong, but...
From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Lugbúrz
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 867

posted      Profile for Lugbúrz   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Giants have been mentioned elsewhere in the Hobbit too. Some of them are said to be friendly by Gandalf. If I remember right, that particular usage did not come with the "stone" classification.

I wouldn't exactly be happy with classifying them as 'spirits of nature' when they are talked of as being wicked and cunning. What do you say Laur? Or are you referring specifically to those that were mentioned during the storm?

From: Middangeard | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Thorin
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 816
posted      Profile for Thorin   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"I must see if I can't find a more or less decent giant to block it [Goblin gate at the High Pass] up again," said Gandalf...
Tolkien makes plenty of statements about creatures that he doesn't elaborate upon. The Watcher, the Were-Worms, and the things that made tunnels under Moria are some examples. I just always considered giants as fairly rare creatures that lived in the mountains. They could be good or evil or neither according to Gandalf's hints.
From: Helsinki | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

posted      Profile for Dark Lord Andúril   Author's Homepage   Email Dark Lord Andúril   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
They could just be Maiar. Corrupted to evil , or not so.
From: In Imladris I dwell... | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earendilyon
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 322

posted      Profile for Earendilyon   Author's Homepage   Email Earendilyon   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Anduril wrote:
quote:
Just like in the film, where Saruman is telling the mountains to bring the wrath on his enemies, and gandalf was telling them to sleep.
Anduril, I hope you know that in the book Caradhras, the mountain, itself was evil and brought its wrath upon the Fellowship?
It annoyed me that PJ made Saruman control (and know!) everything. He did not control Caradhrad, he did not exactly know where the Fellowship was, and he did not force the Fellowship into Moria for Gandalf to meet his doom!

From: Rivendell | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Lord Andúril
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2564

Hmm, I do know that, I was merely making an example. But Aragorn does say that "there are things in this world that are older than he, and they ahve no love for things that go on two legs."
Roll of Honor Kosomot
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1105

posted      Profile for Kosomot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I think they were giants, and nothing else. There´s no need to explain them to make them fit in Middle-earth. The Hobbit wasn´t a serious book when he wrote it, unlike his Silmarillion project, which was already well on its way back then. That´s why we have giants, talking trolls and what else, and that´s why Tolkien later edited The Hobbit to make it better fit into ME.
From: The Hells of Iron | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmermaggot
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 568
posted      Profile for Farmermaggot   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe 'To there and back again' has been added to by a later hand!, as presumably more copies of it were made and over thousands of years certain details were embelished i suspect.
From: Somewhere deep in the Old World | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree with Kullervo on this, I never thought of them as anything more or less than giants who just happened to live in the mountains...

Earindilyon, you are right in saying that Caradhras was an entity unto itself and that Saruman or Gandalf had no control over it, you have to remember that the movie was made for people besides the fans and thus it was neccessary for PJ to make Saruman control the mountain as it's much easier for an audience to come to grips with on specific bad-guy as opposed to a mountain which just happens to hate people walking on it.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fabian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1948

posted      Profile for Fabian   Email Fabian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
It's still the most annoying change he made.
From: Sweden, land of... err... stuff. | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gollum the great
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1642

posted      Profile for Gollum the great   Email Gollum the great   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
why? I hardly gave it thought, and I would consider myself a Tolkien purist (to a degree)

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
...What we came to realise was that you don't have to put a sword in her hands to make her strong. And where we've come to now is all these true elements of who Arwen is. I mean this is an incredibley powerful and fearless woman filled with so much hope and belief and that is strong enough. ~ Liv Tyler (Arwen)
A proud member of H.A.A.H.A.A.

From: canberra , australia | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nash Rómerandir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2903

posted      Profile for Nash Rómerandir   Author's Homepage   Email Nash Rómerandir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The stone giants...
If we admit that they are 'spirits of nature' which they might well be... They would then be Mayar of Aulë, just like the Balrogs (before they turned to Melkor/Morgoth)... Their job could be to do the work of 'erosion'...And there's no problem concerning their origins. []

If we take it they are creatures, just like the lines from The Hobbit, let us believe:
quote:
"I must see if I can't find a more or less decent giant to block it [Goblin gate at the High Pass] up again," said Gandalf...
Would Gandalf say "if I can find a more or less decent Maya..."? Probably not so, thus they probably are some other creature of unknown origin...Back to the question []
From: Cuiviénen (well, people call this place France) | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Cheat
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 3042
posted      Profile for The Cheat   Author's Homepage   Email The Cheat   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The giants were probably just thrown in by Tolkien to amuse his kids. They could always be metaphorical giants...
From: The Magical Land Of Narnia! | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hasquaati
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 11358
posted      Profile for hasquaati   Email hasquaati   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
This one has always been a mystery to me. As mentioned above, maybe its metaphorically speaking or actually literally just some big people throwing stones for a bit of fun. To be quite honest, I really dont know.
Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thingol of Doriath
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 2718

posted      Profile for Thingol of Doriath   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
If it makes people feel better... there is another giant in The Hobbit who is described quite extensively: Beorn.

We know that he towered over Gandalf, a horse's nose came to his shoulder and that Bilbo could walk easily between his legs without having to duck to miss the fringe of his tunic.

So, if Beorn is a giant living under the eaves of Mirkwood... then it is perhaps not so strange that giants could live in the nearby Misty Mountains. Relatives?

[ 07-11-2011, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Thingol of Doriath ]

From: Sverige! | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
In my mind's eye I always envisioned the Stone Giants as a sort of mountain troll, along the lines of Bert and the boys. There's no textual basis for this, it's just an impression.

[ 07-13-2011, 04:27 AM: Message edited by: Madomir ]

From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I too pictured this as a metaphor for the storm causing boulders to be dislodged and hurtle down the mountain, rather than actual giants throwing rocks.

You know, like the Balrog's wings. []

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamfast Gamgee
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 5528

posted      Profile for Hamfast Gamgee   Author's Homepage   Email Hamfast Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly. Though I wonder how one plays Giant Dwarf football, Misty Mountains rules?
From: Bagshot Row, Hobbiton, The Shire! | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Madomir
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3084

posted      Profile for Madomir   Email Madomir   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the metaphor concept is that it doesn't fit well with the quote Nash supplied earlier..

quote:
Seems an odd thing to say about a metaphor..
From: northern hemisphere-ish | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Athene
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 3473

posted      Profile for Athene   Email Athene   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
The Misty Mountain Hop is not a permitted manoeuvre.
[]

From: Hades, UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » What are the Stone Giants? (Page 1)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help