Minas Tirith Forums Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic
profile | register |
search | faq | avatars | citizens
donate | about | library
  This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  68  69  70 
Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 4)
Author Topic: Who said that...
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Cool discovery! I just checked my first edition and it matches the 2nd. I wonder when the change occured? We all know that "Riddles in the Dark" was changed, but I didn't know about this one! I believe that the 'Revised Edition" came out in the mid-60's.
From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
So you could have answered it, after all.
[]

---

That'll teach you to rely on your word search.
[]

---

That said, would you like to take the next turn?
[]

[ 01-31-2002, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Marcho Blackwood - MSS
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 270

posted      Profile for Marcho Blackwood - MSS   Email Marcho Blackwood - MSS   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I suppose I could have answered it, but given the high value, I seldom open the book so at to avoid any damage.

Since I have about four copies of the paperbacks, and both versions of Riddles in the Dark available on the PC, why would I? Now I have at least one reason!

I'll pass, not having time to look up a quote this am!

From: Bindbale, North Farthing | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

posted      Profile for The Laurenendôrian   Email The Laurenendôrian   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Whoops. The smileys didn't come out as I intended in my last post. I was only joking, and acknowledge that there is normally no reason at all to look anything up in your first edition copy.

---

Perhaps people would like to have a shot at this one (checked with later versions): Who refers to another character with a noun that has in modern parlance come to be an adjective with the meaning 'ready for use'?

Well, at least it's possible.... []

From: Taruithorn | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Could you clarify this a bit? Do they refer to them as a noun?

ie: He is such a doorknob.

Something along those lines?

From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Not exactly; rather they use the noun to define the person. For example, if the dwarves said "let's get the burglar to do it", burglar has roughly the same sense gramatically.

[ 02-01-2002, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: The Laurenendôrian ]

Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
posted      Profile for Gilmy   Email Gilmy   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
anyone gonna go?? well if not then i will, here it is, prety easy but oh well

"What have we done O King? Is it a crime to be lost in the forest, to be hungry and thirsty, to be trapped by spiders? Are these your tame beats or your pets, if killing them makes you angry?"

[ 02-01-2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: Gilmy ]

From: The Lonely Mountain | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elanore Gamgee
Soldier of Gondor
Citizen # 1695
posted      Profile for Elanore Gamgee   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Thorin?
From: Spokane, WA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
posted      Profile for Gilmy   Email Gilmy   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
nope, close though
From: The Lonely Mountain | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aldea
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1493

posted      Profile for Aldea   Email Aldea   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Dori, Balin, or Bilbo?
From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor The Mighty Müsnud
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 720

posted      Profile for The Mighty Müsnud   Author's Homepage   Email The Mighty Müsnud   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I know that Aldea is correct. It's Balin. However, that's beside the point since Gilmy seems to have jumped the gun. I believe that L-Dorian's question has yet to be answered.

[]

From: Wichita, KS, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
aldea is correct, but he named more than one, so you my friend are right, anywho, we were getting off line in this who said that thread, i figured i would just get things goin back to regular, nothing wrong with that right? anyway its your go
Aldea
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1493

posted      Profile for Aldea   Email Aldea   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a question anyway, so somebody can go or answer.
From: USA | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

posted      Profile for Bungo   Email Bungo   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still working on The Laurenendôrian's 'noun question'. It remains the only question of record, even though it redefines the term 'obscure'. []
From: Kowloon, Hong Kong | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Well, at least it's easier than my last attempt at a question.

At least, probably easier.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Playing with the use-mention distinction" isn't "everything in life, you know."

Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
yea but this is a "Who Said That" thread, so the next turn is up for anyone
Eol the Dark Elf
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 411

posted      Profile for Eol the Dark Elf   Email Eol the Dark Elf   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
That is what the current question is asking, though.

Not being given the exact words, doesn't stop it being a 'Who said that question'
Also 'normal' questions are too easy to find with e-copies of the text: The two-parted question prevents this and makes it slightly harder []

[ 02-02-2002, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Eöl the Dark Elf ]

From: Nan Elmoth | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

My thanks, Eöl, for explaining.
Celeborn of Lothlórien
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1208

posted      Profile for Celeborn of Lothlórien   Author's Homepage   Email Celeborn of Lothlórien   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah..but what about the person who started this thread. They said " Who Said That..." on purpose, not "who said that, and where they said that"!
From: Downingtown,Pa | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Roll of Honor Peregrin Took
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 1176

posted      Profile for Peregrin Took   Email Peregrin Took   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
I, being the one who started this here thread, give up. But i am at a loss. can someone repost the question... or quote... or whatever it is.

This is NOT a trivia thread tho.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Support cows named Bob, if you don't who will?
Save a Cow, eat a Chicken!

From: Upstate NY | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Thus I am indeed asking who it was that spoke some particular words. I have not, however, given the words, merely information about them from which they may be identified.

The question, again:
Who refers to another character with a noun that has in modern parlance come to be an adjective with the meaning 'ready for use'?

Bungo
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 278

There aren't a lot of adjectives like that, aside from "available".

Maybe this is a little too obscure.

Can you just quote this person, noun and all, and let us guess? You know how we hobbits are, we like books that are filled with what we already know. Nothing hard.

[ 02-02-2002, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Bungo ]

Gilmy
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 571
yes please make things a little less obscure or someone else go.....
Eorl the Young
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 843
posted      Profile for Eorl the Young   New Private Message   Edit/Delete Post 
Good question (I wonder why it has taken so long to be answered...no word search, maybe?).

I for one like the challenge. I'll return soon.

From: Denmark, home of the highest mountains in Europe | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Laurenendôrian
Guard of the Citadel
Citizen # 106

Were I to quote the speaker verbatim, somebody would have the answer in under three seconds flat. That, in my view, defeats the object of the game; we play in order to have a challenge.

That said, I realise that this is perhaps rather on the obscure side. Thus, I shall give more information about the word:
First to refine the definition of the adjective; it means 'ready for use' as in 'without need of further work before it may be used'.
Secondly, I will tell you that the first syllable of said word is turn.

If this proves to be of no help, then indeed I shall give you the full quotation.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
"Playing with the use-mention distinction" isn't "everything in life, you know."

Create a New Topic  Reply to this Topic Minas Tirith Forums » The Hobbit » Who said that... (Page 4)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  68  69  70 
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic       The Red Arrow!       Admin Options: Make Topic Sticky   Close Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic

About  ~ • ~  Contact  ~ • ~  Minas Tirith  ~ • ~  F. A. Q.  ~ • ~  Help